PDA

View Full Version : Tax Rebate on Tools

Lewis.
03-12-10, 10:37 PM
Well, after 18 months I've just made the last payment on my Snap-On box, so, now that I actually own it, I want to claim the VAT back on all my tool purchases. Got £2750+vat worth of reciepts from snap-on, and about £500 worth from Mac. :cry:
Only thing is, I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing it, there are plenty of online places offering their services, but they all want about 30%, and I reckon I'm due about £500 so not wanting to give them £150 for it, if, with a bit of work I can do it myself.
So the question is, have any of you guys has any experience of this, and what do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Ta :thumb:

novarally
03-12-10, 10:44 PM
First off, are you actually VAT registered?

John
03-12-10, 10:47 PM
iirc you don't have to be vat registered to claim it back on tools. It's only a percenatge though. I looked into it but as i bought the majority of my tools inc roll cab, well over 10 years ago i couldn't claim.

General Baxter
03-12-10, 10:50 PM
i just throw them in with the old tax form before years end,

i even claim the VAT back on the washing powder lol

i tried it with the fuel, they come back lol

edit: its really not worth the hassle to get 10p back lol

Lewis.
03-12-10, 11:13 PM
Colin, you dont need to be VAT registered. If you buy your own tools to carry out your job, then you are entitled to your vat back. just most people dont realise they can, so HMRC are quids in

Baxter, how do you claim for your things? you say you throw them in with the tax form, I guess a self assesment do flip?

Andy
03-12-10, 11:14 PM
i just throw them in with the old tax form before years end,

i even claim the VAT back on the washing powder lol

i tried it with the fuel, they come back lol

edit: its really not worth the hassle to get 10p back lol
you or your accountant is sh1t;)

Rich
03-12-10, 11:19 PM
Find someone that can sot it for you. its taken me nearly 2 year but i just got a cheque for £570 for about 3k worth of receipts!

You basicly need to send off a letter stating they owe you money, witha copy of all the receipts. Photo copy them and send them the origiionals

Lewis.
03-12-10, 11:29 PM
Find someone that can sot it for you. its taken me nearly 2 year but i just got a cheque for £570 for about 3k worth of receipts!

You basicly need to send off a letter stating they owe you money, witha copy of all the receipts. Photo copy them and send them the origiionals

cheers fella, not sure I know anyone who can do this sort of thing, reckon I'm on my own lol. Also, am I right in thinking it is HMRC I need to be pestering?

Rich
03-12-10, 11:48 PM
yes mate, i paid £50 for my receipts to be organised and put down on paper as a simple number. Put your receipts in order and a total of what you have spent, remember it can only been done per tax year. You can only claim for the previous 6 years

djbrowney
03-12-10, 11:51 PM
i though you could only do this if you were self employed i must have spent £15,000 plus on tools ffs :(

Lewis.
03-12-10, 11:54 PM
yes mate, i paid £50 for my receipts to be organised and put down on paper as a simple number. Put your receipts in order and a total of what you have spent, remember it can only been done per tax year. You can only claim for the previous 6 years

what do you mean per tax year? can I only claim for one year at a time?

Mike
03-12-10, 11:55 PM
what do you mean per tax year? can I only claim for one year at a time?

5th April to 5th April is a tax year.

Im not to sure how it works for non self employed/vat registered peoples TBH though.

Rich
03-12-10, 11:56 PM
ueah depending on when you bought tools, its capped at somting like 3 k a year if your are employed by a company. Im not sure about being self empolyed im on paye

Mike
03-12-10, 11:58 PM
Im not sure about being self empolyed im on paye

Ah im other way round lol so dont know how it works for PAYE lol

But I claim for frigging everything (self employed) put parking tickets through, cd changer for van, stationary receipts etc etc every last penny I spend with anything related to my job.

Andy
04-12-10, 12:00 AM
Ah im other way round lol so dont know how it works for PAYE lol

But I claim for frigging everything (self employed) put parking tickets through, cd changer for van, stationary receipts etc etc every last penny I spend with anything related to my job.
same here,water bill,electric bill (for washing and drying) de icer/allsorts

Rich
04-12-10, 12:01 AM
basicly everything spent on tools with receipts i put through, they drag there feet but finally got a payout/ You can probably claim for more but imo its not worth th hassle.

Mike
04-12-10, 12:01 AM
same here,water bill,electric bill (for washing and drying) de icer/allsorts

****ing to right, take what ya can an all that jazz :) £5k tax rebates FTMFW!!!

djbrowney
04-12-10, 12:02 AM
dog food to protect your tools in the shed haha

Andy
04-12-10, 12:02 AM
****ing to right, take what ya can an all that jazz :)
You got it kid:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Lewis.
04-12-10, 12:11 AM
5th April to 5th April is a tax year.

Im not to sure how it works for non self employed/vat registered peoples TBH though.

So I have to claim it at the end/beginning of the tax year then? Sorry If i'm being a bit dense lol

djbrowney
04-12-10, 12:17 AM
are you self employed hay ???

Lewis.
04-12-10, 12:19 AM
No i'm not

djbrowney
04-12-10, 12:22 AM
well as far as im aware you cant claim then :(

some one who is self employed would claim them back at the end of the tax year with there tax return :)

Lewis.
04-12-10, 12:27 AM
sounds fairly easy if your self employed.
I'm still sure you can claim even if your not self employed. a few sites offer to do it for a %age of your rebate
http://www.taxrebate.co.uk/mechanics-tax-rebate.html

djbrowney
04-12-10, 12:30 AM
even of you did you wont get it all back they only give you certan percentage you can have

Lewis.
04-12-10, 12:34 AM
oh well still worth a try, the company in my link give a free estinate of your rebate before they go ahead, so i reckon i'll go with them. at the end of the day, any rebate is better in my hands then HMRC's :D
cheers for your help guys, i'll rep where i can :)

Rich
04-12-10, 01:37 PM
Dont have to be self employed, im not. You can only claim a certain amount each year though, they will question everything and you will need a letter written to state your company do not supply you with tools and they are used/stored at work only. No PJs! Best thing to do is say you have a seperate set of tools at home for working on your own car.

nathan.
04-12-10, 09:51 PM
There are companies that sort it all for you. They will take a cut of your rebait though.
I'll try and found out some company names.

I've been meaning to do it for years lol. I Know a couple of lads that have done it successfully through companies.

nathan.
04-12-10, 09:54 PM
http://www.refundsdirect.co.uk/factsheets/mechanics_tax.php

http://www.taxrebate.co.uk/mechanics-faq.html

http://www.claim-tax-back.co.uk/

mowgli
04-12-10, 09:57 PM
talk to a decent accountant, they will claim their costs against tax & also tell you what allowances you can claim.

i once got the tax man to pay for a mountain bike, as it was my daily transport.

Lewis.
04-12-10, 10:44 PM
Dont have to be self employed, im not. You can only claim a certain amount each year though, they will question everything and you will need a letter written to state your company do not supply you with tools and they are used/stored at work only. No PJs! Best thing to do is say you have a seperate set of tools at home for working on your own car.

I was thinking along those lines, have a few basic tools at home so can say they are for my own car :)

There are companies that sort it all for you. They will take a cut of your rebait though.
I'll try and found out some company names.

I've been meaning to do it for years lol. I Know a couple of lads that have done it successfully through companies.

http://www.refundsdirect.co.uk/factsheets/mechanics_tax.php

http://www.taxrebate.co.uk/mechanics-faq.html

http://www.claim-tax-back.co.uk/

i was looking at the people in your second link, reckon it will be the easiest way

talk to a decent accountant, they will claim their costs against tax & also tell you what allowances you can claim.

i once got the tax man to pay for a mountain bike, as it was my daily transport.

Good idea, only trouble is I dont know anyone who is an accountant who can help :( cant afford to be paying someone, times it hard (hence wanting the rebate:( ) good job on the mountain bike though! are there set limits to what you can claim for, or is it just apply for it and see what mood they are in?

mowgli
04-12-10, 10:47 PM
about an accountant, just ask people you know... someone will know.. and an accountant doesn't cost that much.

Lewis.
05-12-10, 10:00 AM
ok i'll ask. thanks :)

draper
05-12-10, 12:11 PM
and most accountants wont take there fee untill you get rebate anyway