PDA

View Full Version : fitting a 2.5 v6 into a nova

skud52
01-12-10, 04:49 PM
Hi guys,

Im after as much info regarding fitting a c25xe into a nova. From what I can gather from reading other threads the wiring is very similar to a 20xe, however if it has a transponder there are 2 ignition lives? Any info on this would be good.

Any diagrams or info related to the coolant system and plumbing this into the nova would be great!

Also im led to believe that after removing the power steering pump this means I need a much shorter belt. Does anyone know which belt I need? I.e so I can go into the local auto factors and get one or whether its possible to fit the alternator and belt setup I was using on the nova?

I'll be picking the engine up tomorrow and starting the swap straight away so no dowt I will have more questions once I can see what iv got,

Cheers in advance,
Ben

davidfox280585
01-12-10, 05:20 PM
jacks your man for this hes done his

General Baxter
01-12-10, 05:32 PM
its a shame jacks is not a vauxhall engine, and it was allready in a fitted car when he go it

davidfox280585
01-12-10, 05:53 PM
its a shame jacks is not a vauxhall engine, and it was allready in a fitted car when he go it
very true to a certain extent

DAN-F
01-12-10, 07:52 PM
Your going to need either a custom offside engine mount or cut off and re weld the mount off the hassis leg about 3" lower, you need to cut, reshape to clear the steering rack and re weld te rear exhaust manifold, then cut and weld the rear bank downpipe to match. xe flywheel and clutch, f16/18/20 box.
then its all the same as an xe, ie conversion shafts, gearlinkage, wiring is the same.

skud52
01-12-10, 08:20 PM
Your going to need either a custom offside engine mount or cut off and re weld the mount off the hassis leg about 3" lower, you need to cut, reshape to clear the steering rack and re weld te rear exhaust manifold, then cut and weld the rear bank downpipe to match. xe flywheel and clutch, f16/18/20 box.
then its all the same as an xe, ie conversion shafts, gearlinkage, wiring is the same.

cheers for that, what about the coolant pipes?

DAN-F
01-12-10, 08:57 PM
Ive just used what i have mate from all the different cars ive broken up. ive not had to join any together so i think its safe to say that once its in theres a pipe on a vaux smewhere that will fit lol

Jack
02-12-10, 08:24 AM
A) its the same engine you turnip :p
B) Yeah it was fitted, but not exactly brilliantly. The only advantage that gave us was the front mount was already made up, and the exhaust manifolds cleared the steering rack.

Lee did most of the work anyway. I just stood around and made the place look pretty lol

As for hoses, I think we just used whatever was the hand. Luckily we had a large pile of random hoses laying around!

mowgli
02-12-10, 08:30 AM
Lee's your man for this hes done Jack's for him

editted for troof

skud52
02-12-10, 09:13 AM
Cheer for the help so far. Does anyone have a photo of what the front engine mound looks like? Im assuing its a similar affair to the 20xe effort?

Also with regards to the coolant hose I wanted to know the direction of flow round the engine, whether it has a back water hose similar to a 20xe which feeds the heater and has the rad bottom hose and header tank fitted or is it quite different?
Cheers again,
Ben

mowgli
02-12-10, 09:26 AM
it will be pretty similar to the xe coolant layout

AlanH
02-12-10, 06:12 PM
contact david dixon on here mate, he will make you a custom mount for you, he's fitted a few v6's and owns a 3.2 v6 turbo nova. i wired one into a mk3 pov spec astra, if yours is an immobilised one its probably easier getting an earlier non immobilsed ecu tbh, thats what we did, then its same wires as an xe conversion

C612DNM
02-12-10, 07:19 PM
I have to ask - why? It's well known to make it handle like dogs... and because of the lack of weight, a 2.0XE powered car will be quicker 1/4-mile, and a 1600 sorted out will blitz it around the twisty stuff.

Unless you're thinking fitting it how God intended it. RWD.

Then you have my full support - just do it.
You can't beat a bit of navigation via the side windows!

Mieran
02-12-10, 07:22 PM
Didn't david get 12.9 from his V6?

Impossible to get that time in a standard XE, high 13s at the very best.

Nobby
02-12-10, 08:36 PM

gearlinkage is a nova one but needs modification :thumb:

Nobby
02-12-10, 08:38 PM
I have to ask - why? It's well known to make it handle like dogs... and because of the lack of weight, a 2.0XE powered car will be quicker 1/4-mile!

wrong! id never took my V6 nova up a 1/4mile and ran 14.0 at 105mph id like to see any xe run that on there 1st run, more weight over the front wheels never goes a miss ;)

david dixon
02-12-10, 09:36 PM
For 1/4 mile v6 nova is a great conversion imo, there is plenty of weight over the front wheels as stated above, if you find a good healthy engine it will do alot quicker than a standard xe, a fair bit quicker tbh.
we managed 12.9 off gas and 12.4 with some gas on a 2.5v6, its still running standard 2.5 cams, heads etc.

David.

skud52
05-12-10, 03:47 AM
lalright guys, i have got the engine fitted and most of the wiring done, hoewver i still have a few questions i'm hopeing you can help me with,

firstly the sensor on the front of the sump, is this an oil level sensor and can i just chop it off like on the 20xe conversions?

on the water pipe between the heads where the temp sender goes there are 2 plugs, 1 im assuming the blue plug fits 2 like the 20xe but the other is a black 1, however i have no plugs left from the engine wiring loome, and info on this would be great,

under the inlet manifold infront of the idle speed control valve is what looks like a tank ventilation valve like the later 20xe, is this the case and can i just unplug it without any running problems,

at the front of the engine i have 2 earth wires conng out of the loome and also 1 black wire i assumed was an ignition live, however after stripping it back, i found it was a thin brown wire with a grey strip, and a ring terminal on the end, and info on what and where this goes would be very helpful.

i am also unsure what throttle cable to use, would a 20seh fit, im loking for a scrap yard find on this one so any suggestions welcome,

finnally the front water pipe sits so close to the radiator outlet its unreal, what have other people done to rectify this problem, i have moved the rad as far forward as i can possible go but it still doesnt leav much room,

hopefully i will have some pics up tomorow of the problems i have but all help is very much appriciated,
cheers in advance,
ben

david dixon
05-12-10, 10:38 AM
You can either cut it off or take it out and make a blanking plate.

I'm sure the black plug is used for your temp guage.

That will be the tank vent valve, dont unplug it, try and pipe it up if you can if not just leave it sat there plugged in.

those 3 wires need to be bolted down to the plate with 3 holes in on the gearbox side of the front head, they are all earths.

you need to make a pipe with a full circle so it goes down first then spins around to come back up on to the rad.

David.

skud52
05-12-10, 02:52 PM
cheers for that mate, thats brilliant! ill see how I get on today. Much apriciated

skud52
05-12-10, 07:36 PM
Alrite guys iv got to the point where im trying to get it to start and im having problems! Basically it will turn over and fire for a split second then it dies. Any suggestions please?

david dixon
05-12-10, 08:41 PM
sounds to me like its immobilised! (chip key)

David.

skud52
05-12-10, 08:46 PM
i was wondering that, how would i go about bypassings this? i was given a black box with what looks like it could be a chip atatched however there was no plug on the wiring loome to fit this?

david dixon
05-12-10, 08:50 PM
The easiest thing to do is buy a non-immobilised ecu then it'll plug straight in and run.

David.

skud52
05-12-10, 09:01 PM
do you know what ecu code im looking for and where the best place to get 1 from is? also will this just plug straight into the loome or do i need a non immobalised engine loome to match?

cheers

david dixon
05-12-10, 09:05 PM
I do have it wrote down some where, i will rake it out for you.
what code is the one you have at the min?

David.

skud52
05-12-10, 09:06 PM
i'll check when i get back down the unit soon, i beleive its HE?

david dixon
05-12-10, 09:11 PM
if it is then its immobilised! same as HD on the c20let's

David.

david dixon
05-12-10, 09:11 PM
off the top of my head i think its PN you need.

David.

skud52
05-12-10, 09:16 PM
ok cheers mate, i'll see what i can find, if i cant get hold of one tho is it possible to bypass it? surely sending a 12v to the right wire to the ecu?

cheers for all the help youve been great

david dixon
05-12-10, 09:28 PM
i have the wiring wrote down for that but it has to have a very good earth.
i'll see if i can find that too.

David.

skud52
05-12-10, 09:33 PM
cheers mate that would be brilliant

skud52
10-12-10, 07:16 PM
ok im still struggling with getting this running, basically i have wired up the transponder to what i think is the right wires, i.e. red and black to live, brown to earth then the blue with red strip to the same on the engine wiring, however the car still coughs and wont fire up properly.

now im not 100% sure on the wiring on the transponder whether i have got the right colour to get it to work, as it is i have been getting 5vs down the blue and red wire when the ignition is on and then 5.6v when its trying to turn over, any info regarding this would be great,

i have also been told that if the temp sensor is faulty then thei will not allow the auto choke to work thus resulting in a similar effect, i'm assuming this means the blue 2 wire plug which i have tried bridging the 2 wires and got less of a result, however there is another plug near this, a black 2 wire plug but the engine loome doesnt have a plug for this

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v482/skud52/?action=view&current=DSC00047-1.jpg

any help with what this is, if it is needed and what i need to wire it up to would be great

cheers for any help,
ben