PDA

View Full Version : Theres A Kniocking In My Xe Engine

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 01:39 PM
Hey basically as above. dropped my xe in and theres a knocking inside the engine...it runs fine tho.

my dad had said it copuld be the tappets...so i took it for a drive and the knocking got alot louder...it sounds like something is being thrown about inside one of the cylinder.

please help...any suggestions:(

Mazz
01-12-10, 01:42 PM
lifters should quieten down after 10 mins or so, not yet worse...enough oil in?

AlanH
01-12-10, 01:43 PM
Sounds like bottom end.....

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 01:55 PM
yup plenty of oil...yea dad said they would quieten down after a bit

yea but what in the bottom end...i dont understand how it runs ok, so it couldnt b something that bad...if you rest your hand on the top of the rocker cover the knocking seems to be under the left side

Mazz
01-12-10, 02:18 PM
all the cam caps torqued down? not too tight/loose

Jonlem
01-12-10, 02:41 PM
Could be lifters, I have had a xe before that took days to stop rattling.

Most will shut up after a good drive but that one was terrible !

Strangely it never made a noise once it had sorted itself.

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 02:42 PM
UM i duno mate im useless when it comes to parts inside the engine.

are these the semi circle caps that hold the cam shaft in place???

how would i check...will this involve stripping the whole head off the engine or just the rocker cover??

ill strip the rocker off no problem altho im not too keen on stripping the whole head off...if im right tyhat will then involve replacing the head gasket and making sure everythintg is spaced correctly...whcih i know absolutly nothing about

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 02:44 PM
@ jonlem i see...is it safe to run when making that horrific noise??

will it do any damage??

have you any opinion on the above post??

Jonlem
01-12-10, 02:47 PM
Have you rebuilt the engine ?

If its straight out of another car then its highly unlikely its going to be caps or anything like that.

My money is on lifters unless its run a bearing.

To check the caps remove the cam cover only and you can check the caps from there.

Torque settings for them are 15 lb ft, do NOT overtighten as you run the risk of pulling the studs out of the head.

Jonlem
01-12-10, 02:49 PM
Big end bearings have a sort of loud knock, lifters tap, there is a noticable difference between the two especially if you hold the revs on slightly.

nova_saloon
01-12-10, 03:08 PM
should never drive the car until all the lifters have quitened down, just bad practice!

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 03:11 PM
o sh!t..it could be a big end bearing then as its very loud. if i rev a bit it get louder. if i rev more it quietens down...iirc...then it might get loud again...thats why i thought maybe something was getting thrown about

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 03:13 PM
should never drive the car until all the lifters have quitened down, just bad practice!

what if they dont quieten down tho?

Jonlem
01-12-10, 03:14 PM
The lifter noise will get louder as you rev it, thast not what I mean.

If your that worried about it pull the sump off and check for movement in the rods.

As for driving with noisy lifters, common occurance with a xe, take one round a track and it will be rattling its tits off

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 03:20 PM
ok cheers lads...ill ask father on his opinion when he comes in from work...he thought i maybe dropped something in the plug hole when i had the plugs out....god i know ive done silly things but im not that stupid lol

BongMong
01-12-10, 03:35 PM
check to sump plug for metal shavings.. if its magnetic..

DEAN-DOHERTY
01-12-10, 03:38 PM
its not magnetic..um maybe i should invest in one

Mazz
01-12-10, 05:03 PM
put a video up, might help..

Benn
01-12-10, 05:40 PM
Do you have any oil pressure gauge? If you do what pressure are you getting?

Damo
01-12-10, 05:45 PM
Could be a little end bearing, but like said lifters tap bearings have a knocking sound and the difference is noticeable.

As said get a vid you mate then we can give abetter diagnosis

Nobby
02-12-10, 08:51 PM
id get someone with good mechanical skills to look at it everyone on here can only guess as your tap could be my knock if you get me lol you sure that the timings right? you said the belt was loose possible piston slap?

comptoncj
02-12-10, 09:13 PM
My moneys on a big end tappets normally quiet down when you give them a run up the road and warm them up. does it knock if you rev it up to about 4000 then let off? or just all the time?

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 07:26 PM
from what i make of it is knocking none stop
no matter what the revs

clik on vid (idling)
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/CIVIC_EG3/MY%20NOVA/th_MOV00622.jpg (http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/CIVIC_EG3/MY%20NOVA/?action=view&current=MOV00622.mp4)

DAN-F
06-12-10, 08:23 PM
Inot long repaired one that sounded exactly like that. ting was out and the pistons were clipping the valves

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 08:33 PM
sounds like theres no oil in it or no oil pressure

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 08:37 PM
It seems to be getting oil fine

ting was out:confused:

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 08:38 PM
if its the timing thats been out then could have hit the valves have you re-done the timing?

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 08:41 PM
i checked the timing before i took the car out. it was fine...what i dont get is that the car was running ok and onli a slight knock then a mile later it sounds like this^^^

Graeme
06-12-10, 08:45 PM
It could of jumped a tooth

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 09:09 PM
could have done some damage i would re check it mate to rule the timing out but just going by the sound it could be one of a few things mate

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 09:11 PM
defo sounds like lack of oil pressure how did you check to see if it was getting oil pressure mate

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 09:12 PM
never thought of that..suppose it would be a good idea to look again..

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 09:14 PM
take the oil cap off when ticking over and oil should be splooshing all over the place is the oil light going out when it starts up? and have you checked the oil level and condition of it

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 09:15 PM
and wel the oil is circulating and surely if there is no oil pressure the oil light would come up on the dash board

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 09:17 PM
yea my dad looked into the oil cap when i put fresh oil in and he said it was ciculating ok and yea the light is going out

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 09:18 PM
so all pressure fine is the timing been double checked?

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 09:20 PM
im going to check the timing tomoro. it was checked before i took the car out and was fine...ill check tomoro to c if it has slipd

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 09:25 PM
yeah can easily happen if the belts not tight enough does it quiet down when warm? and did you here the engine running before you bought it

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 09:33 PM
no i never heard it run, wasnt in the car and no it dont quieten down...the car was warm when it got louder.

could be the belt as it was only knocking a bit so i thought tappets would be fine once they warmed up...went into town for a test and it was defiantly warmed up then i booted it a bit up round the corner and al of a sudden it started knocking really loud like in the vid.so i got it towed home to stop any more damage

dougie_boi
06-12-10, 09:37 PM
a hard one to guess to lol sounds more top end tho check your bottom pulley isnt rubbing on the casing as well mine done that and took me a wee while to suss out what it was and it sounded like tappets as well

bmw156
06-12-10, 09:39 PM
were you the person who used the old belt? possibly someone else lol

and if it was serious it wouldnt run that well IMO.
i would say something is just catching something else.

DEAN-DOHERTY
06-12-10, 09:42 PM
my timing belt cover isnt on the car as it was rubbing

and yes im the muppet who didnt change the belt

bmw156
06-12-10, 11:24 PM
well now you have to inspect the timing, you might as well take the belt off get it all right and use a new belt!

Corsaturbo2008
07-12-10, 12:47 AM
sounds like a few sticky lifters to me, ive had a engine before when it sounded like a bag of nails, put a new set of lifters in took sump off and cleaned out pickup pipe and never tapped again after that.