PDA

View Full Version : mot

welsh-nova
28-11-10, 05:11 PM
what years isit that cars have to have a cat on for its mot like nova's i been told its around 92 93 area like but want to make sure what year like because im thinking of getting a nova that i dont need a cat onit like

Iain
28-11-10, 05:14 PM
August 92 I believe. Is it that the car needs a cat, or that it needs to pass a cat test? Never been sure.

reevie1987
28-11-10, 05:16 PM
on our emmisions tester at work it says anything after a K reg has to have a cat thats including k reg so basically K reg and onwards has to have a full cat test not a idle emmisons test like on a J plate

phazer
28-11-10, 05:22 PM
All nova's fitted with a cat originally are now on the ministry database so have a cat test (btw there is no requirement to have a cat, only that the car can pass the emissions test. On a standard engine this won't happen).

There was a time when the C14SE and C16SE engines weren't listed so got the basic test.

welsh-nova
28-11-10, 05:27 PM
so if i get a nova and i want it to pass an mot without a cat what year would be the best i know all the mk1s would be good but out of the mk2's ?? thanks

Jack
28-11-10, 05:29 PM
August 1992, so pre-K reg.

There are ways round it, but tbh if you have an awkward/useless tester, just stick to J reg or before.

[edit] I await Craig to comment as he knows all related to MOTs lol

welsh-nova
28-11-10, 05:37 PM
aww so i can get a J reg nova then wicked cheers alot people

Saloony
28-11-10, 11:51 PM
August 92... the introduction of the K plates and the date in which all vehicles have to pass a cat test, with some exclusions namely suzuki.... thats another story. In short, k platers onwards........ unless, nope ill leave that can of worms on the side for now lol

AlanH
29-11-10, 11:46 AM
August 92... the introduction of the K plates and the date in which all vehicles have to pass a cat test, with some exclusions namely suzuki.... thats another story. In short, k platers onwards........ unless, nope ill leave that can of worms on the side for now lol
if the engine fitted was from before said date and registered does it need emissions testing? i doubt v much my LET will pass an emissions test and will be taking it for M.O.T. feb/march :eek:

Jack
29-11-10, 12:13 PM
Goes by whichever is older, engine or car. However its up to you to prove the age of the engine if required.

Ben
29-11-10, 12:33 PM
However its up to you to prove the age of the engine if required.

Technically true but i have never been asked to do so, but as jack also said if you have an anal mot tester you wont even get that close lol.

Garage i go to never even bother with a cat test on any nova or engine converted car i have ever taken in there as they know i know the rules and will argue lol

phazer
29-11-10, 04:52 PM
You only have to pass a basic emissions test if the engine fitted was never fitted to the car by the manufacturer.

So LET in a Nova, C/X16XE in a Nova etc :)

AlanH
30-11-10, 02:09 PM
Cheers for the advice, Have arranged for a headed letter from local dealer confirming engine size and that its fitted to my car, sure they will be able to put year of engine on too.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jack again. :(