PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Questions

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 09:55 AM
Right, just a couple of questions:

1. Whats the best (safest) way of taking a tank back to bare metal? Is acid dipping any good?

2. Can I use a GTE tank to run carbs. Ie replace the high pressure pump with a Facet pump? Will I encounter any problems with this?

John
28-11-10, 10:19 AM
use nitromors and some wire wool. Why do you want to bare metal it?

Gte tank should be ideal, as it's already got the swirl pot in. The only difference being the outlet is on the rear so extra pipework will be req'd.

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 10:32 AM
use nitromors and some wire wool. Why do you want to bare metal it?

Gte tank should be ideal, as it's already got the swirl pot in. The only difference being the outlet is on the rear so extra pipework will be req'd.

Cheers, extra pipework isnt a problem as I will be running braided hose through the car.

Its a bit crusty so I need to see how bad it is then repaint it :thumb:

John
28-11-10, 10:34 AM
Cheers, extra pipework isnt a problem as I will be running braided hose through the car.

Its a bit crusty so I need to see how bad it is then repaint it :thumb:

Ahh i see. You doing road rallying? might be worth an external swirl pot?

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 10:37 AM
Ahh i see. You doing road rallying? might be worth an external swirl pot?

Yes I will be doing, I already have a carb fuel tank which only has very light surface rust so the plan was to use that, but I got my hands on a GTE tank yesterday so I thought if i cleaned that down it would be better with the swirl pot.

I may look into using an external swirl pot with the carb tank then...

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 11:08 AM
does the swirl pot need to be close to the tank or not?

novasrikev
28-11-10, 12:20 PM
does the swirl pot need to be close to the tank or not?

no can be mounted in the engine bay pal:)

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 12:38 PM
no can be mounted in the engine bay pal:)

Before or after pump?

bazil
28-11-10, 12:54 PM
Before or after pump?

some info
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/impala/1012/cars/tech/swirl/swirlfaq.html

burgo
28-11-10, 12:56 PM
Before or after pump?if using a swirl pot you need two pumps, one normally referred to as the pick up pump which needs high flow at low pressure to fill the swirl pot and then a high pressure one from the swirl pot to the fuel rail

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 12:59 PM
I will be running a carb most likely (although not 100% on this yet) but want to get past the problem of fuel starvation on low fuel. Really not too clued up in this area and a lot of the info about refers to using swirl pots on injection engines...can they even be used on a carbed engine?! :confused:

burgo
28-11-10, 01:01 PM
I will be running a carb most likely (although not 100% on this yet) but want to get past the problem of fuel starvation on low fuel. Really not too clued up in this area and a lot of the info about refers to using swirl pots on injection engines...can they even be used on a carbed engine?! :confused:why not just go to the petrol station more often lol

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 01:02 PM
lol it will only really be used for competing when its built so don't really want to carry more fuel than necessary

bazil
28-11-10, 01:03 PM
That's twice I've posted that link for you lol, read it start to finish and it explains everything for you

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 01:06 PM
I thought you had lol, didnt understand it first time either!! :tard:

Edit: thats about using a carb fuel tank and converting it to run a injection engine - i was considering either using an injection tank to run a carb engine, or using a carb tank and improving fuel supply

bazil
28-11-10, 01:58 PM
If you run an external swirl pot it doesn't matter what tank you use, as for the two pumps
the first pump takes fuel from the tank and fills the pot that is all that pump is there to do, it is a high volume low pressure pump,

the second pump takes the fuel from the pot to the injection rail, that is all it does, this pump is a high pressure pump for injection systems,

on a carb engine all you would do is change the high pressure pump to a lower pressure pump that is suited to the required fuel flow.

The tank you use only has 3 requirements Input ( to fill it up ) output ( to get fuel to the pot ) and return ( to return the fuel from the pot )

mk1nova_rich
28-11-10, 02:22 PM
Ah cheers, that makes a bit more sense now :)

bazil
28-11-10, 02:32 PM
here are a few options on pots, members get discount too iirc, couple of different sizes too

http://obpltd.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=215&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2