PDA

View Full Version : How To Tighten My Timing Belt

DEAN-DOHERTY
27-11-10, 02:57 PM
Hey, right i have got my xe engine in and it turns out my belt is a bit loose...

yes dont lecture me but i didnt have the money to change the belt before dropping the engine in :roll:

the belt is in good nick....it is just loose, i dont know much about timing etc and really dont want to fcuk somthing up so please explain in simple terms lol...i know there is a tensioner...how do you tighten it????

chees lads

Cle
27-11-10, 03:18 PM
not 100% sure about xe but on a few cars ive done timing belts on the tensioner has a bolt in the middle and its adjust by an alan key bolt.

Jonlem
27-11-10, 04:36 PM
Late or early engine ?

Early as 1 large idler and 1 adjustable pulley like so :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Jatec/Dave%20O%20Dell%20Corsa/modmanny.jpg

To tension that type I take the slack out of the belt on the idler side by moving the cam pulleys round slightly so that the slack is on the tensioner, then you can simply undo the 6mm allen key bolt and tension it accordingly.

If its the later type which has a auto adjuster at the bottom you loosen the 13mm headed bolt, and tighten the tensioner with a 6mm allen key until the arrow points at the used mark, hold it all in place and tighten the 13mm bolt up.

Simples !

DEAN-DOHERTY
28-11-10, 02:07 PM
it turns out timing is not as complicated as i thought...i was always told you really need to kow what your doing or u will bend your internals at the turn of a key.....but well like youve said....

SIMPLES!! lol

cheers