PDA

View Full Version : C16xe oil light issue

Southie
24-11-10, 08:21 PM
Recently I've noticed that my Nova once been on a decent drive, say 20 miles, that my oil gauge drops to a quarter then the oil light comes on.

I'm using genuine 10/40 Vauxhall oil and always have done.

A couple of months ago I bought a brand new oil sender unit and it seems to be happening since I've fitted it, I only took off the old one due to it having a split in it.

The oil is fine on the dipstick so I know it's got plenty of oil in.

The only 2 other things I could think of are:
1. The sump pipe may need cleaning out.
2. The oil pump maybe playing up, this is actually only 1500 miles old though.

Any other suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
David

Spudly
24-11-10, 08:33 PM
Id check your cennections/connectors on the sender as if it looses connection or doesnt have a good one would this not also cause it to bring the light on?

Is there no way you can seal your old one temporarily and refit it to test, the new one might be goosed?

Southie
24-11-10, 08:41 PM
Sadly the old one went in the bin :( I've checked the connections and they seem fine matey.

I think though I've got an old sender but one that does just the illumination rather than a gauge so might give that a go with the standard clocks back in.

Are the oil pickup pipes the same as a big block xe, easy to clean?

Also when the light comes on the tick over drops a little and struggles running right for a couple of seconds unless I rev it.

Nova_Tek
24-11-10, 08:49 PM
Sender not loose is it?

Southie
24-11-10, 08:55 PM
Sender not loose is it?
I've checked that also, now I did put copper grease on it but wouldn't of thought that would effect it, anyway yes it tight.

Spudly
24-11-10, 08:57 PM
Whats the little plugs/wiring loom like, it could be corroded up the wire and be causing a loose/poor feed?

Southie
24-11-10, 09:02 PM
Whats the little plugs/wiring loom like, it could be corroded up the wire and be causing a loose/poor feed?
Possibly so will give it a check when I try the other sender, would this effect the revs and running though?

mk1nova_rich
24-11-10, 09:16 PM
Are smallblock 8 valve senders the same?

Southie
24-11-10, 09:22 PM
Are smallblock 8 valve senders the same?
Yes rich, I'm running a 1.3 sr twin oil sender so my gauges work, or not in this case lol

mk1nova_rich
24-11-10, 09:23 PM
I can bring one over on Saturday if you want to try it?!

djbrowney
24-11-10, 09:26 PM
what oil pump did you fit ???

Southie
24-11-10, 09:32 PM
what oil pump did you fit ???
A GM one, I'd a new waterpump and cambelt fit at the same time due to a headgasket fail but everthing bought was genuine, £900 including fitting to be exact :(

Rich that would be brilliant mate but I've got no means of fitting due to me being a graphic designer and not a mechanic lol

djbrowney
24-11-10, 09:34 PM
Your 100% sure, i take it came from vauxhall ???

Might be worth checking it imo

mk1nova_rich
24-11-10, 09:35 PM
Haha i may have to bring my tools with me then and get oil all over :p

Southie
24-11-10, 09:37 PM
Your 100% sure, i take it came from vauxhall ???

Might be worth checking it imo
Definately because I collected the parts myself, didn't fit them though but a guy I do trust who owns a garage fit them.

Can they slacken off under tension though, maybe need nipping up???

Southie
24-11-10, 09:40 PM
Haha i may have to bring my tools with me then and get oil all over :p
I'll drive to yours, it's about 20 miles so the light will just come on at yours lol

mk1nova_rich
24-11-10, 09:42 PM
Good plan lol

AlexW
24-11-10, 10:50 PM
Id actually say its a engine earth issue if it struggles to run when the light comes on etc.