PDA

View Full Version : oil changes / flushing oil

mikeoxford
31-05-03, 11:56 PM
hi all

used some flushing oil

new champion filter, and now im on good ol castrol gtx after my latest rebuild.

how long or how many miles should i expect it to still smoke with the thin flushing oil in???

it even says on the oil it will smoke etc as its so thin itll pass gaskets and whatever else, especially in hot weather were having.......

?

cheers
mike

Stuart
01-06-03, 12:10 AM
when you say "flushing" oil do you mean a can of wynns flush stuff. that you let a warm engine idle on, NOT driven on?? or is it a special oil youve tracked down?

even a ropey fiesta 1.1 that we ran that stuff through never smoked after. so prehaps its erm ate a stem seal lol

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 12:17 AM
:o i just changed the seals before i rebuilt it :( could it have? :(

and it is oil that you drive on

it not wynns stuff
says drive for x amount of miles, cant remember how many

Stuart
01-06-03, 12:22 AM
in that case, fook knows, i bow out of this one lol

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 12:31 AM
:( hope itll be ok :(

it happens when i accelerate rapidly

for instance i can get engine to goto high revs slowly and no smoke

if iom on road, and accelerate quickly, then it does it.

new valve stem seals

brand new B+ head

i used flushing oil, and the gasket set i got said to oil the gaskets before putting them on, im hoping its oil somehwre ethat will eventually burn off

Ste_Nova
01-06-03, 11:02 AM
new parts = don't caine the arse off it

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 07:11 PM
new parts = don't caine the arse off it

:oops: nah im not.......

what should i do about this little seepage of smoke / oil though?

is it down to the flushing stuff? and also hot weather and thin oil???

i use castrol gtx 15w 40

Dicko
01-06-03, 07:38 PM
usualy takes 500ish miles to bed in, thats y u shud not cain it ALL it shud stop smoking after this. but id strongly recomened NOT using that sh1t again lol
long as you change ur oil when your suppose to theres no need for flush

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 07:40 PM
what causes it to smoke then? new valevs or something??

its a B+ Blydenstein head

Dicko
01-06-03, 07:46 PM
is it new bottom end, those usualy smoke if had new seals etc when work done.
not sure on the B+, i know ur not sposed to rev over 4k for the 1st 500+ miles as theres no coke to keep the head temp down. did it come with stem seals? if uv gone n got cheap copies (such as autovaux supply at times) then it might b that

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 07:50 PM
its a 40k bottom end

out of a cav or astra so i was assured it wasnt thrashed

and its never smoked before

the head i rebuilt with a cheapish head set yes, purely cos i didnt know if my engine plans were gonna work.

ill try changing for some vaux valve stem seals at some point then if you think it may be that

see what happens..............

mike

jatinder
01-06-03, 07:59 PM
why have you put oil flush into it, its just been rebuilt hasn't it, just use a chepo oil for about 300 miles then drain and change oil & filter use good oil this time

Dicko
01-06-03, 08:00 PM
u get a B+ head and use a cheap headset, OMG :S

lol

so u have used the bottom end b4 and know it doesnt smoke?

what if u leave it ticking over then give it some revs (stem seals)

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 08:01 PM
why have you put oil flush into it, its just been rebuilt hasn't it, just use a chepo oil for about 300 miles then drain and change oil & filter use good oil this time

the top end yes

but all the old treacle shit is in the bottom end as i havent rebuilt that, its from whenever it was last done by previous owner of car it came out of...........

jatinder
01-06-03, 08:11 PM
I would have waited until the engine had been run in properly, when are you going to drain the oil again how many miles

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 10:58 PM
dunno to be fair

although i work at safeways and the oil was ?10 for 5 litres, and it was buy one get one free, with %10 staff discount also you can imagine i scooped a couple and a couple of freebies ;) so i got plenty LOL

as for the engine

went out tonight TINY bit smokey on way round.

on way back

SWEET AS PIE

im thinking WTF!

wait n c 2moro i guess.

emmmmmmm roll on 40s from recon :D

jatinder
01-06-03, 11:42 PM
ive got a pair of delerteos sitting in my garage how much do u reckon they will go for,

also there nothing wrong with the oil ur useing, its just use a cheppo oil when running in as it will quicken up the bedding in process, then put castrol in

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 11:50 PM
ive got a pair of delerteos sitting in my garage how much do u reckon they will go for,

also there nothing wrong with the oil ur useing, its just use a cheppo oil when running in as it will quicken up the bedding in process, then put castrol in
lol mate that was for castrol gtx!!

i think i got 20 litres for the princely sum of ?13 or summat ridiculous