PDA

View Full Version : possible head gasket issue

RossRog
23-11-10, 01:11 PM
quick question,

got my van sitting on the drive under a cover awiting friday when i tax her, :(

i have not had much chance to keep it running every couple of days, i do it about 1 time a week, its only been there for 3 weeks now... on the weekend i have been cleaning the engine bay etc

i noticed there is a small ammount of gunk top of the oil cap, never good to see just hope its down to being sat outside for 2/3 weeks also when i start the car it wil do everything it should all normal but there is smoke coming from the exhaust i'm worried its moistore becuase then i have 2 things pointing to the Headgasket.:cry:

i had it running for 15 mins after not starting for 10 days, it did get better the longer it was started for.

just hoping its due to being sat left not used for a few weeks, can anyone help with this? is it something common?

after its been running a short time the gunk clears up

saturday i plan to change the sump gasket, oil, spark plugs an leads as i belive its not had this done for some time!

AlexW
23-11-10, 01:21 PM
It will just be due to condensation. Dont worry about it.

RossRog
23-11-10, 01:23 PM
i worry too much..

Pistol Pete
23-11-10, 06:12 PM
It will just be due to condensation. Dont worry about it.

WHS.

I took my oil breather pipe off to make a new gasket the other day. Had the mayo type gunk in the hose. I thought the same thing. But it hasnt been run properly, just on tickover sat on the drive. Needs a good run to clear it out.

Damo
23-11-10, 06:18 PM
As pete said i needs a proper run to clear it but even i get some mayo in the big breather on my XE and mines a daily and my engines in fine fettle.

RossRog
23-11-10, 06:39 PM
cheers chaps i was just looking too much into it!

Pistol Pete
23-11-10, 06:40 PM
Easily done!

Tommy_nova
23-11-10, 06:49 PM
Did you buy tobys van Ross ?

RossRog
24-11-10, 09:09 AM
Did you buy tobys van Ross ?

yea mate she is sitting at home, this thread was about the van

C612DNM
24-11-10, 02:12 PM
When you get it taxed, get out and sniff some tarmac with it. The Hellmans will soon disappear.

Once it's nice and hot, give it a bath and oil change, and get rid of the old oil as it's clearly got some water in there now due to condensation. The last thing you want to do is run it too much with emulsified oil (which is what will happen)

w_wall_2001
24-11-10, 08:08 PM
as above small residue if just when has been standing, if was h/g you would know about it :thumb: