PDA

View Full Version : oh dear...

wilz
31-05-03, 10:21 PM
oh dear. just driving along, n my cam pulley snapped, apparently causing the valves 2 bend. according to AA man, i will prob need new valves, springs, cams etc. but wont know till head is removed

the engine is 1.2i, does ne one have any idea what the damage is going to be, both to my wallet and the engine, as i woulddnt know enough to chek my self

shit

mikeoxford
31-05-03, 10:44 PM
oh dear oh dear.

ade had same thing :(

depends on what the condition of engine is like

take the cam cover off and see whats what

next take the cam carier off and look at pistons / head

you *MAY* have been lucky, and just busted a cam follower or two and also bent a valve.

no piston damage if ur lucky, so all youll need is top end rebulid,

might get away with the cam, just replace the follows

cams are strong, depends on what hapand

rallyslag
01-06-03, 10:06 PM
Depends on when it broke (i.e. full revs, low revs etc), due to the hydralic lifters you might find that if you just put a new belt on it'll run fine bit hit and miss. I'd stick a belt on and see if she runs but mind you ive got plenty engines lying about!!

Breeny
01-06-03, 10:08 PM
Ideal time for engine transplant me thinks :wink:

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 10:51 PM
before you stick a belt on check under the top cover

why spend on a new belt for no reason!?

youll soon see the damage under the cam cover!

Jules
02-06-03, 01:28 AM
You've probably done no-where near as much damage as the AA man told you, the Vauxhall OHC engine was designed so that if the cambelt snaps, slips etc etc then the vavles will miss the pistons, you just come to an abrupt halt.
Happened to me after I rebuilt my GSi engine a couple of years ago, forgot to torque up the bottom pulley bolt, bolt became loose, pulley came off, belt came off, cambelt sproket came off. A quick trip to Vauxhall for a new sprocket, belt, bolt and big washer soon sorted it out, was back on the road in no time at all.

Best to check it first just to make sure, you don't wanna be pulling the head off your engine unless you have to.

wilz
02-06-03, 06:43 PM
unfortunately the revs were at bout 4k. da AA man, who seemed 2 know his stuff said that vauxhall made sum "safe" engines which would not be damaged when the cam belt breaks. these were mostly in cavs etc and didnt apply to the 1.2i engine. i wud consider an engine transplat if the cost of repair is going to be well in2 three figures. any recomendations?

mikeoxford
02-06-03, 07:24 PM
unfortunately the revs were at bout 4k. da AA man, who seemed 2 know his stuff said that vauxhall made sum "safe" engines which would not be damaged when the cam belt breaks. these were mostly in cavs etc and didnt apply to the 1.2i engine. i wud consider an engine transplat if the cost of repair is going to be well in2 three figures. any recomendations?

all of the small block engines stick to the same principle design :? hes talking out his aa man hat