PDA

View Full Version : Equal Length Shaft Wobble - Help?

krobinson
22-11-10, 07:39 PM
I've always had a slight wobble in the steering of my Nova Turbo. After numberous brake changes, wheel balancing, I think i've traced it to the Equal Length shaft setup.

The shaft that go's into the gearbox, that runs on the bearing. I think the splines are worn on the outer side. When I put the C.V. joint onto this, it's not solid and has a few MM of play up and down. Is this normal?

Graeme
22-11-10, 07:45 PM
I've just been and checked mine and there is no wobble at all but it is a new cv off Browney, I have a spare centre shaft if you want it, just pay the postage and its yours

krobinson
22-11-10, 08:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/keithrobinson/inner.jpg

Pistol Pete
22-11-10, 08:04 PM
Bearing shot?

krobinson
22-11-10, 08:05 PM
So with that C.V. pushed onto the splines of the inner shaft (one with the bearing) it's completely solid with no play? (the join circled in red)

There's about 1mm of play in mine now with the new c.v., was more than 2mm on old c.v.

krobinson
22-11-10, 08:05 PM
Bearing shot?

No movement in bearing etc, it's the join circled in red.

Graeme
22-11-10, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't of said there was a mil at the point highlighted

Checked again and there is probably a mil forwards and backwards but nothing side to side

Pistol Pete
22-11-10, 08:07 PM
Maybe the cup that the shaft slots into is worn??

krobinson
22-11-10, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't of said there was a mil at the point highlighted

Checked again and there is probably a mil forwards and backwards but nothing side to side

There's no play on mine in and out of the shaft, but there's some play up and down.

There was about 2mm of play on the old c.v., 1mm on the new one, so maybe the shaft is worn.

R1CH
22-11-10, 08:30 PM
Can mind when i had mine that there was quiet a bit of movement / play between the CV joint and shaft, never seemed to cause any probs tho.
Had another equal length set up as well that also had play, not as much as the one on the car tho.
The play / movement is down to wear on the shaft and CV, a new CV might help but can't see it totaly getting rid of all the play.

krobinson
22-11-10, 08:49 PM
I just cant seem to get rid of a wobble at 60ish mph.

However changing from the old c.v. to a new one, which removed alot of the play has greatly reduced the wobble. But it's still there.

david dixon
23-11-10, 12:33 AM
are you sure one of the shafts aren't slightly bent?

David.

Damo
23-11-10, 12:15 PM
I have a similar sort of problem on my XE it has a little vibration at around 50-60mph ive balanced the wheels etc no joy but if you get hold of the cv at the gearbox theres a little play about 1mm and the shaft seals are constantly leaking but ive just learned to put up with it tbh.

Mine arnt equal length thou.

But as others said could be worn splines keith.

Damo.

krobinson
07-12-10, 09:42 AM
are you sure one of the shafts aren't slightly bent?

David.

I'm not 100% sure. One is a chris astley shaft, the other equal length side was a group buy from Mark Beeson, however all the other cars running this shaft have no wobble.

It's something I really want sorted for 2011.

Graeme
07-12-10, 09:45 AM
Is there anyone in N.I. that you could borrow a set of shafts of to diagnose the fault?

loggyboy
07-12-10, 10:09 AM
or do you have the standard shaft you were using prior to using equal length?
is the half shaft bolted in the correct position on the block?

krobinson
07-12-10, 10:42 AM
I've only ever run the equal length shaft!

sneakycorsa
12-12-10, 09:22 PM
Did you guys need to moddify these shafts in order to use ?