PDA

View Full Version : COMPUTER PROB PLS HELP.

RobHardyUK
31-05-03, 07:43 PM
My computer, occasionally with certain software, just turns off the computer? It is like a restart, cos it does boot back up again. but it just suddenly turns off, for example on Toca Racing Driver, and some other stuff. How come it is doing this? how do i solve it?

Alex
31-05-03, 08:44 PM
bad/faulty power supply or cable cable?
faulty memory?

adam2472
31-05-03, 08:55 PM
Graphics card / Cpu overheating?

Aragorn
31-05-03, 09:27 PM
hrm what specs

OS?

CPU??
GFX etc

simply turning off is strange - u could be reaching your CPU overheat protection setting in yer bios if the case has shitty cooling - which incidentally most PC's built these days have

Stuart
31-05-03, 09:46 PM
mine occasionally does this. and yes its well cooled now.

but hey, i dont use that software anymore lol

win 2K seems a bit piccya bout certain games. oh well thats what the xbox is for :D

mikeoxford
31-05-03, 11:14 PM
u may have a bug in your windows 98 if im guessing correct

i had that and upgraded to win98se with the latest drivers and patches etc etc

i dont like 200 or XP

just dont like how it does evrything for you

call me a dinosaur i know, but i like my 98 and i can play games on it easy enough, XP always hung on me.

and i cant afford xbox / ps2 prices and games etc

Fester
31-05-03, 11:45 PM
mine (and incidentally a mates) toshiba laptops used to randomly do this, although mine doesnt anymore

spooks in your system

i.e. neither me nor anyone knows lol

adam2472
01-06-03, 12:16 AM
lol that real weird... :roll: :roll: my toshiba laptop does that too sometimes! what model u got.. think mine does cause it gets real hot sometimes.. not sure...

Fester
01-06-03, 08:33 PM
satellite 1730 couple of years old, mates is one of this years :roll:

adam2472
01-06-03, 10:54 PM
mines last year - satellite pro 6100..

rob - did u find out what the problem was?

Dave
02-06-03, 10:54 AM
i posted something like this a while back mine kept doin it would either lock up or just turn off never did find out what it was.
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73341

Dicko
02-06-03, 01:58 PM
more than likely overheating or fualty PSU. get a new PSU as there not much, next option is the motherbaord is grounding on the case or something along those lines

RobHardyUK
02-06-03, 02:53 PM
yeah i still dunno guys, it s not the pcs temp i checked that. Its XP OS. i reckon mayb the PSU im not sure. my old system used to do it aswell with a different tower case i.e. psu. i was thinking mayb the actual power supplie? the 4 plug adaptor thing?

adam2472
02-06-03, 03:11 PM
when i had xp a blue screen wud flash up with some error sh*te befor it turned off / restarted,, does this happen or does it just turn off??

Fester
02-06-03, 03:21 PM
you can decide whether you want the error screen to hold or whether it should just instantly reboot itself

jatinder
02-06-03, 04:23 PM
this is really strange mine restarted it self as well today never done it before though

Aragorn
03-06-03, 03:37 PM
restarting could be a whole host of issues:

heat - CPU gfx or case in general
shorting - mobo, cables
PSU - fan stuck

but actual turning off is different

the PSU will shut down if there is a short - so lift the case with the PC on and give it a good shake - see if anythign happens

then look to see if the fan on the rear of teh PSU is running

if that all checks out - remove the motherboard from the case and sit it on a desk - hook everything upto it (u may need to sit it on a book to enable u to seat the cards) and run it

if it doesnt crash im guessing its heat related if it does then ive no idea :o