PDA

View Full Version : k&n air filter enquiry

smithy756
18-11-10, 01:41 AM
Today I put a k&n air filter on as I've had a brand new one still boxed just sitting around in the garage
Problem is I noticed tonight on the way home when I wanted to toy with the saxo lads that once I hit 3k revs
It went really flat, I knew straight away this was not right and the only change I did was the filter & a oil change
So soon as I got home I took it of and replaced the original all the power is back and it pulls very well!
Just want to know why or what would make the filter cause this?

L14MNP
18-11-10, 11:21 AM
Sound's like the filter or pipework is collapsing at a guess.

You should move this to mechanical btw mate.

Sloth
18-11-10, 11:22 AM
he cant move it a mod can. whats your engine>?

L14MNP
18-11-10, 11:26 AM
Can we blue font leeches not access the required thread tools then?

I only ask because I am so awesome on the internet that I never persoanlly make mistakes.

I'm guessing 20XE as Saxo's and a return of power have been mentioned. lol

Sloth
18-11-10, 11:27 AM
blue or red fonters cant only the black and bold blue lords can. xe with a std filter? inly will f runs an airbox on his that i know of.

L14MNP
18-11-10, 11:30 AM
He mentions not of an airbox. lol

Sloth
18-11-10, 11:48 AM
i took original to mean airbox. my bad.

mowgli
18-11-10, 12:47 PM
well, sticking a k&n onto any engine will alter the rate that air will go into it, so it will need some adjustment, which is why the std one made it work fine again.....

i'd imagine a later closed loop type of management on an engine would automatically compensate, but i'm not too sure...

or if it was on a carb engine, it was probably some form of carb icing..

C612DNM
18-11-10, 03:56 PM
Furzacktly, without closed loop control on a fool infected engine, or re-jetting a carb, you could be running weak, hence it going flat as a witches tit.

MARTIN KELSON
18-11-10, 07:36 PM
Agree if carb engine probably freezing.
My old SR used to do this with K&N in winter, switched to origonal setup in winter & all fine.