PDA

View Full Version : HID's on CORSA D VXR ARTIC!?!?!

N0V4 JACK16
17-11-10, 06:42 PM
Hi i am looking to buy these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Lighting/HID_Conversion_Kits/HID_Xenon_8000K_Xenon_Headlight_Conversion_Kit/859/7873

I want to fit them to a 09 Vauxhall Corsa D VXR Artic ed and was wondering if these are illegal/ and are there any other solutions for light headlight upgrade? Thanks Jack

Jack
17-11-10, 06:57 PM
Does the VXR have headlight washers, auto-levellers and did it come with HIDs as standard in any form?

£60 is a bit steep, you can get the exact same things off ebay for around £30. As for non-HID solutions, Halfords +50% is bery good if you don't mind a yellow light; other than that, PIAA are the best but you pay a high premium for them.

Annie
17-11-10, 07:18 PM
Hi i am looking to buy these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Lighting/HID_Conversion_Kits/HID_Xenon_8000K_Xenon_Headlight_Conversion_Kit/859/7873

I want to fit them to a 09 Vauxhall Corsa D VXR Artic ed and was wondering if these are illegal/ and are there any other solutions for light headlight upgrade? Thanks Jack

that kit isnt e-marked so will fail the mot i beleive...

phazer
17-11-10, 08:22 PM
New MOT rules from some point next year effectively kill off aftermarket HIDs....

Andy
17-11-10, 08:23 PM
New MOT rules from some point next year effectively kill off aftermarket HIDs....
good,fukkin hate the things

phazer
17-11-10, 08:29 PM
Likewise. Hopefully they'll get rid of those stupid green/blue tinted headlight bulbs that do nothing for the owner but blind every fooker on the road.

Andy
17-11-10, 08:40 PM
Likewise. Hopefully they'll get rid of those stupid green/blue tinted headlight bulbs that do nothing for the owner but blind every fooker on the road.
Aye,and those w4nkers who drive around at night with nothing on but those little oval bright as feck bike light things.:mad: :mad: :mad:

N0V4 JACK16
17-11-10, 08:50 PM
Jack
Does the VXR have headlight washers, auto-levellers and did it come with HIDs as standard in any form?

£60 is a bit steep, you can get the exact same things off ebay for around £30. As for non-HID solutions, Halfords +50% is bery good if you don't mind a yellow light; other than that, PIAA are the best but you pay a high premium for them.

No it doesnt come with any of them!! but are VXR atric headlights projectors? as iv been told that haveing HID's with projectors isnt illegal and will pass mot so iv been told is this true?

I got the idea when i saw a red vxr with uprated lights and looked smart!
so shall i go for better bulbs then?

Saloony
17-11-10, 08:51 PM

Ha you fecking hope sunshine... can you see them passing something were by every mot you have to remove bulbs and compare them to a said chart which states what should be fitted to what and were, especially when most headlight bulbs are inaccessable and require lengthy time processes to remove them, cant see that happening. All you'll ever have is colourings and whether beam image is affected. Im currently running HID's in Butch, pure white light and perfect image..... so wouldnt cause so much as a raised eyebrow

Jack
17-11-10, 08:57 PM
that kit isnt e-marked so will fail the mot i beleive...
E-Marking has nowt to do with it; its the lens that has to be e-marked, not the bulb (or the bulb+lamp; but there's nothing to stop you replacing the bulb in that lamp). But still, technically they're not strictly legal.

Anyways. Funnily enough, its always cars which have OEM HIDs that seem to p!ss me off the most (auto-levellers my fcuking backside). Dunno about any other cars but the light pattern on my Celica with HIDs is significantly improved over halogens.

Saloony
17-11-10, 09:00 PM
E-Marking has nowt to do with it; its the lens that has to be e-marked, not the bulb (or the bulb+lamp; but there's nothing to stop you replacing the bulb in that lamp). But still, technically they're not strictly legal.

Anyways. Funnily enough, its always cars which have OEM HIDs that seem to p!ss me off the most (auto-levellers my fcuking backside). Dunno about any other cars but the light pattern on my Celica with HIDs is significantly improved over halogens.

I know, seems to have worked perfect with the complex lenses like yours.

Jack
17-11-10, 09:26 PM
Plus, the whole reason why people get in a tizz about HIDs is this (http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps) document.

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.
Absolute garbage. That particular act basically says if the lights are correct in terms of position, colour, beam pattern etc then everything is a-ok. Just because it doesn't mention HIDs doesn't make them illegal. Regulation 14 refer specifically to filament lamps only, so in fact to the strict letter of the law HIDs ARE legal as the law does not cover them

14.—(1) Where a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or any trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 is equipped with any lamp of a type that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with an approval mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp referred to in the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations in–

(a)regulation 4 and Schedule 2, items 2 or 2A, 8, 20, 37 or 37A; or

(b)regulation 5 and Schedule 4, item 18,

shall be fitted to any such lamp.
HIDs are NOT filament lamps, ergo this section does NOT apply.

BTW, its illegal to drive with dirty headlamps - and yes the above act actually states that - but have you ever been nobbled for it? No.

Andy
17-11-10, 09:29 PM
Jack,some of them take the p1ss though and are dangerously bright,its like having a lighthouse coming towards you with some of them.!!

Nova_Tek
17-11-10, 09:34 PM
Just get tuv/e-marked stuff, align your bulbs and/or headlamps to the correct height (go to an MOT station and align it) and don't get silly colours like 10k/12k as all you are doing is attracting attention.

I've seen HID's in cars that look real nice and look like they've fitted well which don't burn your eyelids, then again I've seen them fitted probably by a right n00b and point to the sky and look violet.

Jack
17-11-10, 09:37 PM
^ agreed on both posts.

Not sure about alignment (as I cba to look in the law again), but wrong colour is definitely a no-no in terms of the law; and both are certain MOT fails. So expect to get dibbled if your HIDs fall into either (or both) category there.

I'm quite anti people getting shonky HIDs - which is why I dissuade people from putting them in Nova lamps, as the beam pattern is awful - as it gives people like me, with properly set up HIDs, a bad name.

Nova_Tek
17-11-10, 09:41 PM
I wanna stick HIDs in my Nova but before I do I'm fortunate that my bro has a set in his Cav (good quality e marked stuff etc). I'll be sticking them in my headlamps and seeing what the pattern is like before buying a set.

Do really hope it comes out well as I think it'd really modernise it.

Saloony
17-11-10, 09:42 PM
Jack,some of them take the p1ss though and are dangerously bright,its like having a lighthouse coming towards you with some of them.!!Alignment has alot to answer for there... how often have you been coming the opposite way to a fair new Ford Focus or Mondeo (pick these as i feel there the worse) with standardish headlights and there just blinding you cos there pointing in all directions like an orang's nipples.

Andy
17-11-10, 09:43 PM
Headlights are one of my biggest gripes when out driving.Fukktards in Bmw/mercedes/porsche etc all with bright lights sat on your rear bumper.
Or the grass selling fukkwad in his vectra c with super bright lights blinding everyone,then there seems to be a craze around at the mo where young kids are imitating police cars with flashing blue lights in the grills/headlights.I so want these w4nkers stopped and being forced to assume the postion before they cause someone harm
Saloony,yeah,the ones with one brighter than t'other as they have the wrong bulb etc? lol

Nova_Tek
17-11-10, 09:44 PM
Alignment has alot to answer for there... how often have you been coming the opposite way to a fair new Ford Focus or Mondeo (pick these as i feel there the worse) with standardish headlights and there just blinding you cos there pointing in all directions like and orang's nipples.

You just know who's had an accident as the new headlamp won't be aligned properly and just points everywhere.

Jack
17-11-10, 09:49 PM
Fukktards in Bmw/mercedes/porsche etc
...alll nice modern cars that have OEM HIDs, and supposedly have auto-levelling systems, which the DFT think is perfectly fine! Idiots.

Andy
17-11-10, 09:52 PM
...alll nice modern cars that have OEM HIDs, and supposedly have auto-levelling systems, which the DFT think is perfectly fine! Idiots.
Really? i have no idea what hid's are or what they do,i just see bright lights and get very angry:mad:lol .I have however seen some (i think) on some cars (not many at all mind!)where its like a cool,crystal white that doesnt blind you and did a good job of exposing the road ahead.

Nova_Tek
17-11-10, 09:52 PM
It makes so much difference having the headlamps leveled properly. I wouldn't even trust auto leveling.

Nova_Tek
17-11-10, 09:54 PM
Really? i have no idea what hid's are or what they do,i just see bright lights and get very angry:mad:lol .I have however seen some (i think) on some cars (not many at all mind!)where its like a cool,crystal white that doesnt blind you and did a good job of exposing the road ahead.

sounds like 6000k HID's that. Driving the Cav at night is so less straining on the eyes now that it has HIDs. Really light up signs well and you get more feedback in the dark.

People also pull in more often to give you way lol

Saloony
17-11-10, 09:54 PM
Lets be honest, the headlights still need to be set prior to the auto levellings. The RX8 had said HID system with auto level, but still the alignment needs to be set for vertical and horizontal. The rex was too low and had to be brought up manually, this is why if you look all headlights still have manual adjustment. Levelers are only for adjusting against loads.

Andy
17-11-10, 09:56 PM
which cant be at all accurate then!

Saloony
17-11-10, 10:02 PM
If the lights are set, on a flat standing (mot bay) with no load in the car then there set spot on. Car unloaded and on level ground the levelers are at there highest point so in real world driving will not go no further. They will only ever lower depending on car load when the **** end sinks to counter act the lights pointing to the sky. But your all forgetting the side to side movement that can be adjusted which is often over looked. This is always done by manual and if incorrect will be pointing at on coming drivers or peoples homes/trees and fluffy rabbits.

Southie
17-11-10, 10:23 PM
HIDs on Range Rovers or basically any high vehicle get right on my nip ends, totally blind you. I've been contemplating fitting some cibbies to the rear of my car to get my own back lol

Sloth
17-11-10, 10:33 PM
ive also been told theyre being made an mot fail from next year, and testors will have to check for the boxes under the bonnet.

Nova_Tek
17-11-10, 10:42 PM
^ What the ballast? And if they can't find any?

Saloony
18-11-10, 07:54 AM
ive also been told theyre being made an mot fail from next year, and testors will have to check for the boxes under the bonnet.

Stop what your doing... the oracle has been told something!! As in previous post, think it more than covers that. Its all Here'say and wont get passed. Otherwise we'll have mots taking up to 2hrs and costing double what they are now.

Sloth
18-11-10, 10:09 AM
/\ and? the govt has to make money somehow.... just what ive been told by my tester. and seen on various websites.

ohhh looky:

http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/2011-vosa-changes-35017.html?t=35017&highlight=tester

read the links.

Sloth
18-11-10, 10:16 AM
and here on page 8.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2048%20-%20Oct%202010.pdf

Saloony
18-11-10, 12:32 PM
What the gov makes out of an mot is feck all compared to the actual cost. And all the leg work that would need to be implement with regards to training, admendments, charts/graphs would be huge and by far out way the slight increase. You forget i get them mags so i know full well whats going on.

Spudly
18-11-10, 12:53 PM
Ill throw my tuppence worth in then too, i had a set of Bi-Xenon HIDs fitted to my old cav, they were E-marked and had an adjustable metal sheild which came around the bulb and down in front of it, this refecled the beam back into the reflector in the headlight and therefore gave off a natural beam pattern, when flicked to high beam the sheild simply moved further to the bulb and changed the height/shape of the beam pattern, the day after fitting i had them checked on our mot ramp at work, the beam pattern was bang on, as was the shape and direction, mine were 6000k ones and had only a blue twinge to them, id love to know where my mate got them from as i want some for my new cav lol

Jack
18-11-10, 07:08 PM
ohhh looky:

http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/2011-vosa-changes-35017.html?t=35017&highlight=tester

read the links.
All I see are two links from unverified sources, and then 9 posts of (I didn't bother to read the rest) the usual WAH WAH WAH I HATE HIDS BECAUSE CHAVS USE THEM etc. Come on dude, I thought people were saying this allcorsa site was supposed to be better than that!

and here on page 8.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...Oct%202010.pdf
I assume you've not actually read that document then, just reposted it as it looks official. For your info, the bit about headlights is on page 9 and reads

Other items – such as headlamp bulb and unit incompatibility, headlamp levelling devices and illegal engine ‘chipping’ – will need further thought before we can get a workable solution for MOT stations.
I highlighted the important bit for you. Where does that say that checking the electrical system and refusing to sign off HIDs will be implemented next year?

[edit] And you work for a govt department too - so you should know that ^ is government speak for "We can't figure out a way to get all teh MOT garages to do it so we'll make people think its coming then keep putting it off"

[edit again] Ok skim read the rest of that allcorsa thread and still no further official detail. Case closed.

Nova_Tek
18-11-10, 07:08 PM
^ [Spudly's Post] Think they are the same sorta ones my bro got for his Cav, adjustable shield and e-marked. he got them off eBay.

Spudly
18-11-10, 07:15 PM
^ [Spudly's Post] Think they are the same sorta ones my bro got for his Cav, adjustable shield and e-marked. he got them off eBay.

Sound simliar if not the same, my mate did a group buy and they were £40 a set so a bargain, had the odd one or two flash me thinking they were too bright or high beams on but i used to get it more using the 100w Ring bulbs i had in before the HIDs (but they werent lined up though as the HIDs were) lol

Nova_Tek
18-11-10, 08:29 PM
Wish there was a group buy for a decent set now. Wanna stick some in the Nova. I've never seen anyone flash my bro whilst driving and even on the occasions I've driven the Cav. There have been no complaints.

stupot89
18-11-10, 09:55 PM
If you are putting these in a corsa d you will need a canBUS compatable HID system

John
18-11-10, 10:06 PM
/\

"can" :)

stupot89
18-11-10, 10:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ woops lol cheers john