PDA

View Full Version : X18xe1

gtachorley
17-11-10, 01:59 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these engines, I have an x18xe1 engine I am building to run with bike throttle boddies on mega squirt, with s/s exhaust and ebay 4-2-1 manifold, I have the 1.6 rods (stronger than 1.8 items) and will fit ARPs and set RMP limit at 7.5kish and due to budget dont really want to spend any more on making the engine stronger.

My question is what power can I get without having to fit cams as I have heard that to do this on these you need to pocket the pistons due to clearance which I am not keen on and also at what power/rpm would you need to get steel/forged rods and pistons?

Cheers

tom reid
17-11-10, 04:32 PM
Are you the same guy that phoned Geoff at Autosprint for advice?
I wouldn't know what power you'll get as I don't want to quote in case we make no gains, lol, but there should be plenty of torque.

We've got two engines built and one on the engine stand.
The one on the engine stand is having steel rods on a std crank, new std pistons with cut outs and Total Seal rings,arp's etc, cams will be around the 300 deg range, max revs will be in the 7.5 - 8k range.
Steel rods are used more for reliability at higher revs than out and out power, I'd say the 1600 rods would be fine up to 7.5k.
Bowyer does a piston set for this engine, not cheap though, he also does a stronger valve, spring and collet set for around 500 quid,we've found a cheaper way round this.
We removed the std 5mm guide and replaced it with 6mm guides so that we can run 1600 xe big valves with waisted stems and also use the 1600 springs and titanium top caps.

One of the other engines is completely std, although rebuilt using new components.
The other engine is a bit of a mongol, lol, it's 1800 pistons with cutout's, 1600 rods, 1800 crank and 1600 block and oil pump with a 1600 8v head on top, also doing a ported 1600 xe head with big valves for an upgrade later.
We'll see what all these engines make on bike carbs and megajolt, should be interesting.
We're looking at using some 270-280 cams for the std engine later on, what cams are you using?
Hope you're not intending on using std valve springs?

gtachorley
17-11-10, 10:41 PM
No its not me that called Autosprint mate.

I have a 1.8 and a 1.6 16v sat in my lock up and will swap the 1.6 rods over and fit arps was hoping for around 150bhp so the 1.6 rods should be ok.

I was going to use the standard 1.8 cam but looking into it I might not be able to get 150-160 bhp with it so might be forced to change it, but a Newman one is expensive:(.

I have'nt looked into the std valve springs, what will they take and what alternatives are available?

Cheers for you help mate :)

tom reid
17-11-10, 11:03 PM
Give Goeff at Autosprint a call, he'll look after you and is cheaper than Newman.
We haven't used any of the engines yet, so it's difficult to tell how bad the std valve springs will be, they don't measure up very well on the valve spring tester. We're using the 6mm uprated springs, cams and caps from Autosprint, so we don't have to buy Bowyers expensive ones. I have some new std ones that are surplus, if your'e interested?
I'd like to think you'd see at least 150, but who knows..?

gtachorley
17-11-10, 11:54 PM
I am going to just put it together with standard cams and valve springs for now try and get it mapped for 150bhp and see how it goes for now, will save up and look into cams possibly before it gets back on the road. Let me know how yours gets on. Thanks