PDA

View Full Version : X16xe engine cut out

BenL
15-11-10, 03:00 PM
Just started happening. When the clutch is dumped on the odd occasion the revs drop more than they should and the engine cuts out. It idles lovely at 1k and it only drops revs on the odd occasion when down gearing. Anyone with ideas as to what it could be?

Also did a water flush as it was a bit milky. Found out the fan doesn't kick in at all. The car also stays fairly cold unless it sits idleing a while. I suspect the rad is wrong but can't see why the fan isn't kicking in.

Thanks in advance.

AlexW
15-11-10, 03:01 PM
VSS working?

BenL
18-11-10, 10:58 AM
Will check tomorrow morning.

Swapped out the termostat yesterday as i think it was getting stuck open not allowing the car to warm up. The temp needle now sits at 3/4's. Thermostat is working fine now, but does it sit here on the gauge because its 1.2clocks with a 16XE engine which runs at a higher temp? Good news now though, my feet aren't always cold!

Sloth
18-11-10, 11:21 AM
3/4 is quite high.....

BenL
18-11-10, 01:37 PM
Thats what i thought, but does an 16XE run at a higher temp than a 1.0? So in therory it could well be sitting at 1/2 on the right clocks.

smithy756
18-11-10, 02:55 PM
Mine currently has a 1.6 xe engine in mine but that to me is running to high , I have all the standard clocks in mine, my needle sits at quater, when left
Idling for long enough the fan kicks in just befor the half way mark,

AlexW
18-11-10, 03:44 PM
As above, should be like that. It could just be a dodgy sender/gauge, but the only way to really know is to replace. Presuming it has no air locks, has coolant and the fan works anyway.

BenL
18-11-10, 04:23 PM
As i mentioned in the original post, fan doesn't kick in at all.

Before i swapped out the themostat the car sat at just below quarter. If left idleing it would over heat due to no fan. Did a water change and it seemed to be the same. Heater pumping out cold air. Thermostat seemed to be stuck open so i changed that last night and it now sits at 3/4's. No air leaks and coolant is ok as i said was all flushed out and replaced.

BenL
18-11-10, 05:42 PM
Just stuck a paper clip in the fan switch, fan works so got a new switch on order. Will drive back with the fan on perminatly and see what temp it sits at but after a bit of reading i see the baby XE's run at a higher temp so this could be why the gauge is sitting at 3/4's. The gauages are a bit dodgy also which probably doesn't help.

Ben
18-11-10, 06:16 PM
for the cutting out i would say speed sensor?

BenL
20-11-10, 01:38 AM
Going to clean out the iac valve tomorrow as idle seems a bit lumpy when warm.

kiwinova
20-11-10, 08:17 AM
When you find out the problem let me know as my x16xe does the same, I did post a thread bout it awhile ago was told it was icv, fitted new icv but didn't work