PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a 1.4 SR?

Craig SR
30-05-03, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,

Been browsing and noticed the thing bout fitting a 1.2 head on a 1.4 - how much would summat like that cost me n what are the gains in performance?? Do you need to tell your ins company if you do this?

Also - what is there in the way of performance spark plugs n leads? Are they worth bothering with?

Only thing i've done so far is have the carb set up proper n got me a K&N too (but this has made bollox all difference)

Is there anything else that i can do on a limited budget that wont hurt ins too much? :twisted:

Cheers dudes...

Ste_Nova
30-05-03, 12:27 PM
you need to sort the shell first......

Will
30-05-03, 12:29 PM
i think ste is refering to suspension / brakes etc etc

Ste_Nova
30-05-03, 12:30 PM
no i'm talking about his rotten battery tray :P

Craig SR
30-05-03, 12:42 PM
True true!

Nothing wrong with planning ahead though!!! (ie how many sat nights out to miss!!!) :|

mikeoxford
30-05-03, 11:53 PM
fit the 1.2 head - so what, looks the same, dont tell insurance, if plod pull u they get confused by wrong eninge capacity :D lol

get the k&n off, and fit a ramair :twisted:

Craig SR
02-06-03, 02:25 PM
Take it i wasted my money on the K&N then?

Dave
02-06-03, 02:44 PM
that big shiney top reduces airflow into the carb as air has to do a 90 degree bend to get into the carb,the ramair is a foam cover so air can get in from every angle.
as for plugs an leads they offer no performance improvement (bhp)

just a thought but if you are thinking ahead would it be worth getting hold of an sri head?

Craig SR
02-06-03, 02:53 PM
What improvements does an SRi head offer then? Better than going for a 1.2 head? :twisted:

As for the air filter - the K&N's gotta be better than the standard thing hasnt it? Or shud i put that back on!! :oops:

Thing is am at a crossroads with the car as to whether or not get a new one or spend on it and get it to how i've always wanted.... :|

mattcogg
02-06-03, 02:58 PM
Hi,
Personally I would see if you get hold off a twin-choke weber and manifold 32/34 dtmr that should make a hell of a difference. Prices vary though but I reckon u should be able to pick one up for about 50 quid. Then if u can put a 1.6 Cam just remember to ask for a 1.6 cambelt now not a 1.4 and then get everything tuned. I reckon u should notice a massive difference I did! Don't know how much cam would set u back though sorry!

Matt :D :D :D

Craig SR
02-06-03, 03:04 PM
Now that would be nice!!! Hmmm what about insurance though - only 19 (20 in 3 weeks :P ) Whats that make it like for driving - it torques steers as it is in the wet and i'm not all that keen on changing my alloys etc - like the look of the car as it is - only want to get some clear indicators n repeators and need two centrecaps for my 3 spokes n all. Wheres best bet for these? Local scrappy?

It all depends on what work needs doing to get it to pass its MOT - then will know where i'm at as for how much to spend on tuning...

Would wanna sort the brakes ans susp too first though.....

Ste_Nova
02-06-03, 03:30 PM
i'm in warrington tonight... don't go racing any red 1.2's :lol:

Craig SR
02-06-03, 03:56 PM
hehe whereabouts will you be? any change of us both just happening to be on the same stretch of road at the same time or are you too busy? Doesnt matter if not cos u know i will win :wink: (joking!)

Ste_Nova
02-06-03, 04:23 PM
courts/riverside/birchwood

Snowface
02-06-03, 06:54 PM
so if you just swapped the 1.4 head with the 1.2 how much bhp would you gain from the extra compresion? as much as 5?

Also i thought fitting non standard air filters like K&N and Ramair don't actually increase power. Just improves throttle response. Don't you need bigger jets to get more mixture into the pistons? So would ram air actually any better than K&N? I don't think it would be noticable.

Anyone know the Code No. for the Ram air filter for a Pierburg 2e3 by chance? If i'm getting a filter i might as well see if i can get one. I know an autoshop that orders them in. If not then i can get a K&N for ?53 delivered.

mikeoxford
02-06-03, 07:22 PM
Hi,
Personally I would see if you get hold off a twin-choke weber and manifold 32/34 dtmr that should make a hell of a difference.

DMTL

Craig SR
02-06-03, 10:59 PM
?53 for a K&N!!!

I'm sure i only paid about 30 give or take 5

Snowface
02-06-03, 11:05 PM
where from?

Craig SR
02-06-03, 11:14 PM
From a garage in preston, will try n dig out the invoice tomoz. It was only for the filter itself though not for the other bit that goes with it for the hot air or summat (excuse my ignorance) so in winter need to use original filter....

rgv_stu
03-06-03, 10:46 AM
a dmtR is fine infact could be better than the dmtL

were running one on my mates mk1 golf with no troubles and the throttle plates are larger at 34/34 iirc

asha_G
03-06-03, 01:23 PM
u can find a 1.2 head from any vaux scrappy cause they made bout a billion of them,the 1.2 head will raise ur compression and u will definatly feel the difference,but remember ur inlet manifold wont b the best cause the ports will b too big,so ur best off finding a 13sr inlet cause the ports r smaller and it wont force as much in as the 14sr inlet,well worth doin and the insurance company wont chase it up and evan if they do(which they wont)jus say "im not a mechanic how am i spose 2 know".

mikeoxford
03-06-03, 01:25 PM
u can find a 1.2 head from any vaux scrappy cause they made bout a billion of them,the 1.2 head will raise ur compression and u will definatly feel the difference,but remember ur inlet manifold wont b the best cause the ports will b too big,so ur best off finding a 13sr inlet cause the ports r smaller and it wont force as much in as the 14sr inlet,well worth doin and the insurance company wont chase it up and evan if they do(which they wont)jus say "im not a mechanic how am i spose 2 know".

erm the 1.4 ports are smaller then the 1.3

1.3 has big castellated (almost round) ports

1.4 sr has tiny quare :o ports

Dave
03-06-03, 01:44 PM
on the engine i'm gonna be usin 1.4
i've got the
1.4sr bottom end
1.4sri head (bigger valves)
1.3sr inlet manifold (to match up to the head)
kent ast1 cam
an a 32/34dtml with ramair filter

try www.raldes.com / www.raldes.co.uk (can't remember which one they do cheaper prices on most things but you have to add vat @ 17.5% to prices shown)

Snowface
03-06-03, 06:10 PM
i was thining of getting the AST1 kent cam instead of the ast2. It offers power at 2000-6000rpm instead of 3000-7000 so it says.

I rarely go above 4000rpm so the ast1 would suit me better i think even if it is 2bhp lower (Big deal) it should offer a smoother ride!??

Dave
03-06-03, 10:37 PM
used that cam cos it'll suit what's been done to the engine aparently an it's were i want the grunt to be for acceleration

MC
04-06-03, 08:57 AM
White Nova,

If you plan to use the 1.3sr manifold on the 1.4sri head, you'll need to find someone that is very good at aluminium welding. The 1.3 manifold will need the bottom of the ports filling in and then machined out to match, and possibly you'll have to port the head out a touch. Can be done, I did so that the 1.6 head would match a 1.3 twin 40 manifold.#

MC