PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable linkage rusted!

Craig SR
30-05-03, 11:59 AM
Hi peeps my first post, got me a G reg mistral grey 1.4 SR and got a few probs with it....

At the moment the bloody thing will only do 35mph (if i'm lucky) cause beneath my battery tray has all rotted away and my throttle linkage has come loose so its very slack. Been to a garage and they said it's a massive job - couple of hours worth of welding and looking at about ?75-100 OUCH!!! :o

Just wondering if any of you peeps might have afew ideas to get the throttle sorted or am i gonna have to cough up??? :cry:

Cheers,

Craig

Nova-Boy
30-05-03, 12:06 PM
I have a throttle linkage off a 1.3sr carb but its not the twin choke. Dont know if they are the same but i have a spare if it fits.

Ste_Nova
30-05-03, 12:26 PM
make a plate to thicken it up.... to stop it pulling through it doesn't have to be welded and that should do it for now..... but your car is prob scrap if that has gone through... cause for it to get that bad there must be major rot

i'll do a bodge for ?10 if you pop it over :D

Craig SR
30-05-03, 12:47 PM
Sounds like it could be scrap then, was hoping that wouldnt be the case as i love it so much and it still runs sweet otherwise!

Tax is due end of this month and MOT is June 20th ish so i am at the cross roads as to whether or not to bother shelling out on it or just getting a new car.... its cost ?1100 just to keep on the road last year, but i did do 27,000 miles in it.... Last MOT it had ?400 quids worth or welding done :x

Hmm Pug 106 rallye or XSi would tempt me thou!!

Ste_Nova
30-05-03, 12:58 PM
put it in for an mot and see what it fails on before spending any more money

Craig SR
30-05-03, 01:02 PM
Will do cheers buddy!

Just a little peeved at the moment cos really wanted to go to the pod 2moz then was off to a BMW M3/M5 meet on sunday.... Gutted

Well - at least i kileed it kicking the arse of one of our arch enemies - a bloody maxpowered corsa!!

Ste_Nova
30-05-03, 01:03 PM
you could bodge it up no probs to drive it... just put a metal plate round the cable so it can't pull through

Ste_Nova
30-05-03, 01:05 PM
its cost ?1100 just to keep on the road last year, but i did do 27,000 miles in it.... Last MOT it had ?400 quids worth or welding done :x

this cost ?75 back in jan 2002 it's still going stong :lol:
http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/s/ste_back.jpg

Craig SR
30-05-03, 01:07 PM
Thanks again ste! 8)

I'll av a word with my next do neighbour (mechanic part time) to see if he cud sort it for me!!!

Craig SR
30-05-03, 02:03 PM
Right good news and bad news....

Good news is managed to get some cable ties around the linkage and secured it in place - the still a good 2" of slack in the pedal before it picks up but at least i now have full revs and acceleration so i'll be able to make it to the pod.... not sure if it will be a good idea to run it though due to such a quick fix but i'll find out on the way there (its a good 3hrs from here) :|

Bad news is my bulkhead is totally fcuked!!! Oh time to start hunting down a new car..... :cry:

mikeoxford
30-05-03, 11:40 PM
Bad news is my bulkhead is totally fcuked!!! Oh time to start hunting down a new car..... :cry:

never heard of this before

Nova-Boy
31-05-03, 02:57 PM
its cost ?1100 just to keep on the road last year, but i did do 27,000 miles in it.... Last MOT it had ?400 quids worth or welding done :x

this cost ?75 back in jan 2002 it's still going stong :lol:
http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/s/ste_back.jpg

Bloody hell Ste why cant i egt hold of a nova like that for soo cheap??

If you see another i will make it worth your while getting it for me.

Ste_Nova
31-05-03, 03:57 PM
got it from a salvage yard with medium rear and lock damage

mikeoxford
31-05-03, 10:53 PM
car auctions are FANTASTIC places....

but some of the ones ive always looked at you have to be registered or sign up with them :? think its more of a car dealer thing