PDA

View Full Version : z20let in a nova

Edd
12-11-10, 11:40 PM
Contemplating this ATM, not for the Sport btw, something else I have in mind when the Sport is finished.

Few bits of the conversion puzzles me tho;

What gearbox can you use ?
F23 mounts differently than a F20/28, mod the crossmember or don't you the F23 ?
If I fitted a F23 what shafts fit ?
Off side chassis leg, does it need a recess like a XE?
Off side engine mount, on a z20let the mount comes out through the cambelt cover, can you use a XE conversion mount instead of modding the inner wing ?
Transponder/key/loom, is this like say a x16xe where the key just needs to be near the transponder ? Or is there alot more electrical greif ?

Many questions I know, but good things need planning well lol

Any info would be much appreciated

Edd

Sloth
13-11-10, 01:12 AM
Contemplating this ATM, not for the Sport btw, something else I have in mind when the Sport is finished.

Few bits of the conversion puzzles me tho;

What gearbox can you use ?
F23 mounts differently than a F20/28, mod the crossmember or don't you the F23 ? go for an f28 or f20
If I fitted a F23 what shafts fit ? normal conversion ones
Off side chassis leg, does it need a recess like a XE? yar
Off side engine mount, on a z20let the mount comes out through the cambelt cover, can you use a XE conversion mount instead of modding the inner wing ? ive heard you can, but then ive been told not.
Transponder/key/loom, is this like say a x16xe where the key just needs to be near the transponder ? Or is there alot more electrical greif ? wiring is totally different, id run omex or m/s

Many questions I know, but good things need planning well lol

Any info would be much appreciated

Edd.

Edd
13-11-10, 01:24 AM
Cheers for that Rob

On the loom side of things, I'm sure I seen somewhere that it's only the Vxr canbus ?? Z20leh stuff that needs aftermarket management, don't corsa c boys fit z let's using the o.e. engine loom?

Didn't naplum get his vxr lump mount up using a XE engine mount? Or just one of his many bullcraps ?

MK999
13-11-10, 02:35 AM
corsa c has the canbus system though, engine plugs straight into diagnostics etc and the 1,2 corsa ecu gets flashed with the vxr map.

DAN-F
13-11-10, 02:59 AM
only on sxi corsas though the bigger engined c's are a headache

Edd
13-11-10, 03:06 AM
A z20let does NOT run canbus tho, only the vxr z20leh runs that so must be earsier to put in a nova ???

bazil
13-11-10, 04:10 AM
Have you seen this thread Edd?

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155121

Edd
13-11-10, 04:41 AM
I have just looked at it, I've even posted in the thread lol

He has welded the F23 front bracket to the cross member which I have thought of doing

But he has a Vxr z20leh engine which has canbus electrics, so he's using standalone, I want to use a z let as the engine loom is seperate so hopefully will be loads less hassle

I had some problems with my z20let in my mk4 astra gsi, but when it was working it was awesome, very quiet but powerful, I would imagine it being alot lighter than a c20let as well

Part of my thinking is that the Sport is going to be waaay too nice to thrash about so I might as well build something out of the masses of parts/shells that I have spare/left over that I can abuse lol

bazil
13-11-10, 05:23 AM
As long as it has speedlines and a gsi kit lol

I've never actually had a look at a ZLET, they must be getting easier to come by aswell now?

I dare say if were to be done a few times someone will make a kit for it,

the only input I can offer is to ask mr dixon about the shafts, pretty sure he can give you an answer.

Sloth
13-11-10, 09:04 AM
edd, the zlet is easy in a c as the multiplug for the body control unit is the same for astra and corsas, so its a case of swapping pins to get it running. i have the zlet diags at home ill post them.

mayhem
13-11-10, 11:42 AM
I have just looked at it, I've even posted in the thread lol

He has welded the F23 front bracket to the cross member which I have thought of doing

But he has a Vxr z20leh engine which has canbus electrics, so he's using standalone, I want to use a z let as the engine loom is seperate so hopefully will be loads less hassle

I had some problems with my z20let in my mk4 astra gsi, but when it was working it was awesome, very quiet but powerful, I would imagine it being alot lighter than a c20let as well

Part of my thinking is that the Sport is going to be waaay too nice to thrash about so I might as well build something out of the masses of parts/shells that I have spare/left over that I can abuse lol

arjo has a Z20LET engine, from a mk4 astra coupe.
only the wiring is over 35kg! and it has canbus.

arjo has spoken to the guys from EDS and the told him to use a speedster (vx220 iirc?) ecu, as that doesnt have all the 'comfort' options like TC etc.

Arjo live's about 20 miles from me, i had a few good looks during his build, and it's not easy.

lomas
14-11-10, 02:03 AM
the front xe mount fits the z20let, its to much of a task to do imo as you could have a good spec c20 let by the time its in and running

Sloth
14-11-10, 11:00 AM
/\ funny tech post of the year.

Ron
19-03-12, 10:43 PM
the front xe mount fits the z20let, its to much of a task to do imo as you could have a good spec c20 let by the time its in and running

i dont know about every one else but i am building my nova with a z20let because it different and hasnt been done all that much so far and if in the process it costs more so be it

you will find most people could chuck a c20let in a nova in a couple weekends and not many people would atemp to fit a zlet i am going to run mine on dta mangement as it will easier to do and make it look neater in the engine bay

Southie
20-03-12, 07:21 AM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100901215708/bttf/images/f/fa/DeLorean_Launch.gif

And Edd still hasn't finished the sport so will be still needing input on this lol