PDA

View Full Version : GTE injection - Oil temp sender

Aragorn
29-05-03, 06:53 PM
ok im about to start building this 1400 engine with the GTE head and injection system on it and ive found out that the 1600 engine has an oil temperature sensor fitted to the back of the block near the temp sender

the 1400 block has an imprint in the block but no hole actually tapped

im guessing the management is gonna need this to run so i need to know the best way to go about it

mike o suggested drilling and tapping teh block where the imprint is - but the problem is i dunno whats under there - if its only a oilway i could end up fucking the block by either drilling too far or getting swarf somewhere it shouldnt

i was thinkin it might be possible to either drill a hole in the sump and weld a nut on to hold the sender, or replace the sump nut with the sender but im not sure exactly if this will work

anyone got any ideas??

cheers

brian
29-05-03, 07:08 PM
put the 1600 head and injection on the 1400 block, connect up whats there and it will run. the engine management is fairly basic on these engines!
I put one of those engines together a few years back and had no hassle.

Ste_Nova
29-05-03, 09:20 PM
twist the wires together... it runs inline with the water temp sender

Aragorn
30-05-03, 12:31 AM
cool

brian - did u have any fuelling issues

need to make sure its ok for passing MOT

thanks

mikeoxford
30-05-03, 12:32 AM
ill have no use for mine - u can use it

thesparky
31-05-03, 10:29 AM
oil temp sensor on the gsi is just tapped into the block and dose not have any feed to the oil just seems to take the temp of the block just had a lot of probs with mine so i have had it out recently car runs like a pig when its not working right.

Aragorn
31-05-03, 09:04 PM
when u say had it out i assume u mean disconnected and joined the wires together??

mikeoxford
31-05-03, 10:45 PM
when u say had it out i assume u mean disconnected and joined the wires together??

i read it that he has had it out to look at it?

not remove it

thesparky
01-06-03, 11:46 AM
no i removed it to test it. On the post May 1990 injection system the oil temp sensor is a vairable resistor so i would not short that out .On a pre May 1990 it is a on off switch so they should be ok to short out

brian
01-06-03, 05:57 PM
brian - did u have any fuelling issues

i didn't but thats because the car was originally a GTE so i had the tank and pump.

Stuart
01-06-03, 06:40 PM
erm are you sure your not on about the oil PRESSURE sender???

not many cars use an oil temp sensor for the ECU, infact none of the engines ive analysed have an oil temp to the ecu.

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 07:13 PM
no definitely oil temp.

as the oil pressure is in bottom corner by bottom pulley

the temp sender on my block is right at the back by the starter motor.....

its a 16SV bottom end

aragorn reckons he should have it on a gte bottom end also

Dicko
01-06-03, 07:35 PM
when i used the 16v bottom end with gte top i never used that sensor and it still ran like a dream

Aragorn
01-06-03, 07:42 PM
dicko do u know which injection system u were using??
was it the bosch ecu or the siemens one

cheers

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 07:43 PM
if its any help it was a siemens one on this 16SV and i still have it all i found it if u need anything

Dicko
01-06-03, 07:46 PM
bosch