PDA

View Full Version : xe not nockin but bangin

love em
10-11-10, 11:00 PM
rite my xe project has only just bin put on the road and it was ideling pretty high and really didnt like being started in the morning, today i went for a short drive out and took it up to a fair speed and when i let off the throttle it started banging really bad:cry: which seemed to sound like it was from the back of the block and now it doesnt even want to start , i did notice when i swapped the sump the other day that it smelt like petrol with the oil , it has really nobed:mad: me off the banging doesnt change at any time the more throttle the more banging
can any1 help me shed some light on the situation:confused:

16v Nova Kev
10-11-10, 11:10 PM
piston slap/fooked crank and big ends. sounds bad whatever it is.

are you getting good oil presure.

david dixon
10-11-10, 11:15 PM
big ends for sure and if petrol is in the oil then your piston rings or bores are shot....or both!
sounds like either a full rebuild or new engine to me.

David.

love em
11-11-10, 09:24 AM
it does sound bad iv never heard owt like it

djbrowney
11-11-10, 09:43 AM
talk like a normal person !!!

love em
11-11-10, 01:24 PM
y wots so bad about how i talk

Damo
11-11-10, 02:01 PM

Hes refering to the text typing mate some people have difficulty reading txt type so the club rules dont allow it ;) .

Sloth
11-11-10, 02:03 PM
text typing is banned on here, read the rules. to make it easy i've highlighted in red, your errors:

rite my xe project has only just bin put on the road and it was ideling pretty high and really didnt like being started in the morning, today i went for a short drive out and took it up to a fair speed and when i let off the throttle it started banging really bad:cry: which seemed to sound like it was from the back of the block and now it doesnt even want to start , i did notice when i swapped the sump the other day that it smelt like petrol with the oil , it has really nobed:mad: me off the banging doesnt change at any time the more throttle the more banging
can any1 help me shed some light on the situation:confused:

it does sound bad iv never heard owt like it

also a little punctuation and capitals wouldn't go amiss. :thumb:

love em
11-11-10, 02:19 PM
ok i will try not to do it but just so some people know i some times use text typing because i struggle with spelling

love em
11-11-10, 02:45 PM
So can anybody help me on the thread and give me any more ideas on what could be wrong with my car

Sloth
11-11-10, 02:48 PM
big ends for sure and if petrol is in the oil then your piston rings or bores are shot....or both!
sounds like either a full rebuild or new engine to me.

David.

this.:thumb:

love em
11-11-10, 06:36 PM
if the ring has snapped or its thrown a rod bolt or something what sort of work am i looking at to rebuild this engine

david dixon
11-11-10, 06:48 PM
if it had thrown a rod bolt you would have known about it.
strip the engine and have a look at the big end bearings or even get someone to do a compression test before anything!

David.

Damo
11-11-10, 06:49 PM
if the ring has snapped or its thrown a rod bolt or something what sort of work am i looking at to rebuild this engine

Alot to be fair you'd be better off rebuilding another bottom end than your current one as it may need a crank rerind new rods etc.

love em
12-11-10, 01:32 PM
ok gents cheers

auzzy-b
13-11-10, 06:04 PM
If it was overfueling and you could smell it when you had taken the sump off my guess would be fuel has seeped past your rings mixed with the oil and perished some seals mabye? Any leaks? You mite of lost oil because of it which has caused your bearings to fail

Andy
13-11-10, 06:20 PM
Its shagged.
Rebuild current or source another engine

love em
14-11-10, 08:28 PM
Its shagged.
Rebuild current or source another engine great help cheerslol

love em
14-11-10, 08:40 PM
i have been and stripped the block today and piston 3 has chunks taken out the top of it and on piston 2 one of the shells had moved round and gone behind the other , after inspecting the head one of the out let valves on pot 4 had bent (but just one ?) does anyone have any ideas on what could cause all of this in one go

david dixon
14-11-10, 08:49 PM
maybe detonation, then bits of metal blocking oil ways causing big end bearing ware but for 1 side of the bearings to spin around on top the other it sounds like the con rod hasn't been torqued to its right setting or 1 of the rod bolts have let go.....
get some pics of and i could maybe tell you better.

David.

love em
14-11-10, 09:31 PM
will do my best , how do i put the pics up and what bits do you want pics of pal

David.[/quote]

love em
16-11-10, 09:50 PM
what pics do you want