PDA

View Full Version : nova 1.6 8v

carcrazymart
10-11-10, 08:57 PM
help just got my engine back for my rally car rebuilt its on 1650 oversized pistons solid lifters bronze valve guides kent nvo o83 cam with big valves on 45 webers now been told to throw the dizzy in the bin and run an ignition map to get the best from it so i need a coil pack and cranksenser then what can any one give me some help cheers mart:)

C612DNM
10-11-10, 10:38 PM
I ran a development NV083, good cam. Went back to the AST9 because it was ultimately better. Hey ho.

I use DTA management on my GSi, with a Lucas (Unipart) coil pack - Rover in other words.

I used a Formula Vauxhall Junior crank wheel (goes behind the front pulley), and a Ford Mondeo crank sensor bolted to the oil pump on a fabricated bracket.

If you contact Scholar Racing Engines (who prepared the engines for the FVJ series), they may still have some of the wheels.

Rob.

carcrazymart
11-11-10, 08:57 PM
thanks for that its a start i was thinking maybe that cam will be a bit hard to drive as it might come on revs a bit late and no low down power cheers mart

C612DNM
11-11-10, 11:33 PM
Thats the beauty of solid lifters, they allow a very serious profile that produces good mid-range grunt as well as whizz. Hydraulics can't cut the mustard in that respect.

The AST9 was used in the Nova Challenge rallycross cars to good effect.

Who's solid lifters are you using, and with which followers?

mowgli
11-11-10, 11:43 PM
if you are planning to throw any parts in the bin, pm me with your bin day & i'll come & fetch them

carcrazymart
12-11-10, 06:49 PM
hi not sure on make of lifters or followers lifters are top adjustable ones been told if i dont put a managment on it you cant advance timing at low revs and it might give bit more bhp at top revs around 160 bhp hoping for :) spent good money on this already so if it can be better with no distributor set up then its got to have ecu on dont you think

SR-Rally
12-11-10, 09:08 PM
I have an mbe ecu and loom for ignition only, it was used on 1400 16v originally so will need to be mapped. To run it you will need to put coil on (get one from SBD £40 iirc) and you will also need to change bottom pulley to one off 16v or 1.6 8v out of astra mk3 I think as the ecu gets it's pickup from the teeth. I think you would also need to fit throttle position sensor :s can't remember. Pm me if interested :)

C612DNM
12-11-10, 10:27 PM
From what you're saying, you have top adjustables which could be ENEM, or Kent. The ENEM ones are better, the Kent ones are cheaper, but go loose after a number of re-adjustments in my experience.
With the NV083, and 45's, plus a big valve flowed head, I'd expect to see 170hp and maybe some more.
SR-Rally has a good option - they work well. I forgot about the need for the TPS. Doh!
You should find it works very well.
Mowgli - are you looking to park your wheelbarrow near my skip?
I do have a list of stuff that I'm tempted to shift, but not skip. That includes my one-off 1783cc smallblock bottom end, together with the jig to make the head gaskets and some copper sheet (one part finished). A Blydenstein B-pack (and a bit) 1600 8v head fitted with Kent top adjustable solid lifters. And a few other bits that I need to dig out. I probably have some cams, lurking in the shed, but most of my race cams were development jobs with Kent, and when I replaced one, the old cam went back to sunny Folkstone.

carcrazymart
12-11-10, 11:30 PM
hi thanx for your input i no a bit more now 170 bhp would be nice tho thats nice hp from a 8v :)