PDA

View Full Version : high idle problem

tom poynton
10-11-10, 07:06 PM
hello people hoping someone can shed a little light on a problem. running a redtop nova and the idle is sticking between 1500 and 2000 r.p.m. every now and then it fluctuates between the 2 although when cold its around 1000 r.p.m. really starting to get on my tits. any ideas ????

thanks

Tom

Damo
10-11-10, 07:36 PM
Checkfor any splits in the inlet pipes but my moneys going to be on the idle control valve under the inlet mate it'll need a clean with some carb cleaner and an oil will some wd40.

Rickardo
10-11-10, 07:41 PM
As above. I had the same problem on my xe Corsa.

Are you running the standard Sfi box or powercap?

If your using the powercap, make sure there is a gasket underneath it. They leak air into the throttle body otherwise.

tom poynton
12-05-11, 09:01 PM
hey sorry for the delay the cars been off the road for months now, thanks for the feedback ive changed the cts, new leads and tried a few afm's but still the same, i will try the idle control valve though just a shame that after having all the inlet off to change a couple of leaking seal caps in the block its all gotta come back off as i couldnt get new gaskets on the weekend i had it in bits !! i bought the car off a chap in rochdale who was a member of the png hence me joining but id lost his number to try him, its got the ecotec adaptor plate on the inlet.

ill let you know how i get on but in the meantime ill run my vectra into the ground on the daily. thanks guys :)

tom poynton
16-05-11, 10:39 PM
problem solved after having all the inlet off we had mixed the knock sensor and icv plugs, read it on another thread so gave it a try and that was that, after months off the road and loads of pissing about, something so simple, thanks guys for the feedback :D

16v Nova Kev
17-05-11, 10:49 PM
out if interest what plugs go where. i may have mine mixed up

Damo
18-05-11, 08:14 PM
out if interest what plugs go where. i may have mine mixed up

Red to knock sensor black to ICV mate.:thumb:

16v Nova Kev
18-05-11, 09:07 PM
Red to knock sensor black to ICV mate.:thumb:
nice one cheers