PDA

View Full Version : The Kaiser chiefs got it right...

Lee
10-11-10, 06:02 PM
Anyone else watching the mayhem in London? :)

draper
10-11-10, 06:03 PM
:confused:

Angus Closier
Explain please????

mowgli
does he even have a passpport??

Lee
10-11-10, 06:05 PM
Turn the bloody telly on ffs!

MK999
10-11-10, 06:05 PM
Or just google it lol

draper
10-11-10, 06:06 PM
the simpsons and unicorns ??

mowgli
10-11-10, 06:06 PM
right, the students got up about 2pm, had nothing better to do, so they decided to have a protest about how much they'll have to sponge off their parents from next year, then the anarchists got involved.......

simple as that.........

draper
10-11-10, 06:07 PM
yeah i flicked over, saw student protest and flicked back to simpsons lol

CrAzY_kAyLL
10-11-10, 06:08 PM
Turn the bloody telly on ffs!

mines on and i still aint got a clue what your on about as they dont seem to be on television X :cry:

Andy
any excuse to smash stuff up

Lee
The students are revolting.

A select few have started ripping a building to bits etc.

What i'm finding amusing is, they interview the odd person, and when they mention that the police are randomly pummeling people, they suddenly go off air for no apparent reason lol

Andy
10-11-10, 06:09 PM
students are revolting.

No sh1t...........................
lol lol lol lol

Bubba
10-11-10, 06:10 PM
yeah i flicked over, saw student protest and flicked back to simpsons lol

lol lol legend

Jack
10-11-10, 06:13 PM
FLOL I was just about to make a thread on the same subject lol

Fcuking workshy lazy bums. Don't want to pay course fees (which you won't even be paying anyway, thanks to student grants and loans)? Get out and get a fcuking job then instead of skiving off doing a "media degree" or some such bull faeces two half days a week.

mowgli
10-11-10, 06:15 PM
same as the poll tax riots....... when the student wasters thought they would have to pay their way instead of their parents paying it, they tore the place up.... then the g20 or similar riots...... basically all of these idiots that get done for public order offences should lose the right to any benefits immediately, cos not one of them has a real job.....

back in the 80's when i was at college, i became aware of 'professional' students who kept getting elected to run student unions and were very marxist in their beliefs... karl marx was a lazy git who sponged of everyone he could too..

these idiots actually gave the coventry student unions profit surplus to the IRA...........

these people are enemies of the state & thus should not be allowed any benefit from living here.

CrAzY_kAyLL
10-11-10, 10:06 PM
Just watching the riots on the news now - What a bunch of muppets who do they think is going to pay for all them bloody windows they just smashed up ! Us the bloody tax payers !

I hope there parents are so proud of them because not only do they go to Uni just so they can get away from there parents get stupid fat student loans which they use to piss up the wall ever night they also now know how to riot and cost the tax payers even more money !

Connor
10-11-10, 10:39 PM
Im a student but i will have finished by the time the course fees rise so ... meh :p
Some friends at uni made to effort to go protest today but i cba lol

Stuart
10-11-10, 10:41 PM
Im a student but i will have finished by the time the course fees rise so ... meh :p

I hope they werent clever people lol... Arts degree folks?

Bubba
10-11-10, 10:42 PM

typical fookin student lol

16v Nova Kev
10-11-10, 10:46 PM
did anybody see the tv clip that showed a fire extinguisher(sp flol) getting thrown off the roof and just missed a cop.

CrAzY_kAyLL
10-11-10, 10:49 PM
No but am sure some Uni student will throw it on youtube before midnight tonight and claim it was him - then by 7am the police will have arrested him lol

Connor
10-11-10, 10:53 PM
typical fookin student lol

Would love to say a comeback but its pretty much true lol lol

And Stu no high end degree students went just people doing sport science and some marketing. Apparently people were just being c0cks and smashing stuff up because they knew that they could. Glad i didnt go tbh as if i wanted to protest i wouldnt want to protest with all the c0ckends who ruined it for all the students trying to have a friendly protest.
meh.

Sloth
10-11-10, 10:56 PM
see my custom user title for my opinion. bout time too.

Connor
10-11-10, 11:00 PM
Looks more like a yob party than a protest
CLICKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1bHOFHyEf0&feature=related)

Hayley
10-11-10, 11:01 PM
did anybody see the tv clip that showed a fire extinguisher(sp flol) getting thrown off the roof and just missed a cop.
Absolutely disgusting!! Someone could of been killed by that complete waste of space. I hope they hike the student fees up even bloody more. Like it or not, we have all got to make sacrifices to get this country out of debt and i dont see why students should get away with it.

16v Nova Kev
10-11-10, 11:07 PM
Absolutely disgusting!! Someone could of been killed by that complete waste of space. I hope they hike the student fees up even bloody more.

it was shocking poor cops having to stick up for waste of space politicians.

Sloth
10-11-10, 11:10 PM
shoulda let the politicians defend themselves. i lol'd at the cop getting his hat nicked by a pre-pubescant boy in one scene....

Lee
10-11-10, 11:28 PM
Absolutely disgusting!! Someone could of been killed by that complete waste of space. I hope they hike the student fees up even bloody more. Like it or not, we have all got to make sacrifices to get this country out of debt and i dont see why students should get away with it.

To be honest though, the people who should be making sacrifices aren't.

Banks refusing to be taxed on financial transactions, Vodafone being let off a 6 million pound tax bill, money pouring into a pointless war abroad etc etc.

It only takes a few to ruin it for everybody else. People who see idiots racing on the road and doing burnouts in carparks probably feel that modifying cars should be banned as well. Thanks to a few braindead morons.

My business partners daughter is in her last year of A levels, and was set to do a degree in Pathology. Its looking like she wont be able to do it now, and I don't think thats fair. She's very very bright, and just wont be able to afford it if these cuts go ahead.

Sure, there are plenty of wasters in Uni boozing up their loan and wasting everybodys time, but there are also plenty of people who have the oppertunity to better themselves, and this oppertunity will now be removed in favour of a slick haired asshole in canary wharf not losing his platinum american express card.

Boils my piss to be honest.

Sloth
10-11-10, 11:35 PM
6 billion lee iirc....

craig green
10-11-10, 11:49 PM
If all these up & coming students are so bright, they wont have a problem getting a job without a degree when the time comes.

Sadly the culprits of the rioting no doubt just jumped on the bandwagon of what was happening today & in the usual heat of the moment, 'got carried away'. I hope the government dig their heels in & point out what muppets they are dealing with.

Most of those students they interviewed on the news werent capable of an intellectual conversation with proper words.

CrAzY_kAyLL
10-11-10, 11:53 PM
Bet the person who started the riots aint even a student I bet it was just some tramp who thought it was a massive street party and thought he would join in the fun by smashing his empty wine bottle on the floor

Sloth
/\ @ CG, due to labour pushing our school leavers into a watered down and easy higher ed system instead of onto the dole, so the un employment figures were not seen for their true extent. all theses students are scared of is having to fight to get a job like therest of us. theyre too lazy to do it so are scared, its not thier fault but a lying labour govt and an overly reactive coalition.

MK999
Like it or not, we have all got to make sacrifices to get this country out of debt and i dont see why students should get away with it.

Because cutting out the people that are later going to be taxed 40% on their 60k+ wage as well as bringing in commerce and starting home grown businesses, allowing our current ones to continue and instead denying them the chance at that and pushing them into a 7.50 an hour dead end job isn't exactly cost effective in the long run...

Note: This doesn't apply to business students lol

Lee
11-11-10, 12:09 AM
If all these up & coming students are so bright, they wont have a problem getting a job without a degree when the time comes.

But on the flip side, the only people getting into uni will be the silver spoon in the mouth brigade. So you'll still have the stupid people in uni, only they will be called tarquin, and their daddy will probably work for Goldman Sachs.

And the bright people who can't afford it will be fighting with the growing number of unemployed people for work and probably never reaching their potential.

Sure, thats fair enough if the money really can't be cut from anywhere else. But it can, and it should be.

Hobbit
11-11-10, 12:21 AM
But the fee's don't need to be paid back till you start earning 21k so your family's financial situation shouldn't make a difference.

Anyway "stinking student lameos, go get a job and stop robbing us of our taxes" :d

MK999
11-11-10, 12:36 AM
But the fee's don't need to be paid back till you start earning 21k so your family's financial situation shouldn't make a difference.

Anyway "stinking student lameos, go get a job and stop robbing us of our taxes" :d

15, and they're planning on changing it to 25, so the changes are gonna do the opposite of what they want most likely anyway, soon as students realise it's not going to cost them until later.

Hobbit
11-11-10, 12:42 AM
I know its currently 15 but believe the plan is to raise it to 21 along with an interest rise on the loan.

Bubba
11-11-10, 07:28 AM

alot of jobs prefer experience.

say some student just got out of uni with a 4 year degree, thumb up his ass etc...and a person the same age with 4 years experience in the same field who do you think they would honestly pick?

and as for raising the minimum earnings before you pay it back, its laughable in cornwall lollollol

Jack
11-11-10, 07:45 AM
Exactly what I've been saying all along. Who pays the course fees? The government - the only people who don't get loans/grants are either a) the stupendously rich (and iirc they're even entitled to basic loan, enough to cover the course costs), b) those who don't apply for it or c) those who don't live on the mainland (my ex's rather-attractive-yet-had-teeth-that-could-chew-an-apple-through-a-portcullis friend from Guernsey or whatever backwater island she was fromt wasn't eligible). Yes, you have to pay the money back, but come on, £85 on a £27k wage is NOT going to make you go bust. Incidentlaly, thats the cost of my HNC, and no it didn't really help me get this job lol

I know its currently 15 but believe the plan is to raise it to 21 along with an interest rise on the loan.
I should hope they do rise the rate of interest, it can't really get any lower! Its currently 0%, or for older (pre-97?) students its -%, so actually earning them money LMFAO

say some student just got out of uni with a 4 year degree, thumb up his ass etc...and a person the same age with 4 years experience in the same field who do you think they would honestly pick?
Depends very much on the employer - some government departments will employ anyone with any degree, where as some employers prefer experience. All comes down to whether or not they want the person to go in and do the job from the word go their own way, or if they want to spend a year or so moulding them to do it how the company wants.

mowgli
11-11-10, 08:10 AM
the wifes cousin is a dentist in new york... her college loans cost her $250k..... and yes she will be paying it back herself.

Stuart
11-11-10, 10:03 AM
It will just revert to the "old" days of degrees..... eg those who a) really want it badly enough will financially cripple themselves to get a VALID and justifyablle qualification and b.) the suual oxbridge lot who are just there while mummy and daddy sort them a slot in 'the company'

My old man hasnt got a degree and hes done very well for himself. Neither of Carlys folks have Degrees and they are doing great. Infact Carly dosent have a degree and shes earning better cash than most 'grads' at her age are etc.

I have to say my degree hasnt got me where I am, but it did let me learn stuff I'd never have been able to otehrwise (which has been more use for hobbies than work lol)

Plus you might find companies start funding degrees again and sponsering students more etc which will lead to better things.

Pilost, Drs etc all have MASSIVE debts after tuition, they still pay it all back.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
I reckon the reason Voda have been let off the bill is because they would msot likely move operations to someother country meaning most of Swindon is made jobless lol... so its probably cheaper to keep that lot employed and let off a large tax bill than to pay benefits to the staff lol

Sloth
11-11-10, 10:04 AM
HMRC's reason for not collecting it:

"its too big to collect"

thats from the inside ;)

Andy
11-11-10, 10:07 AM
This country really is fukked.For too long it has been run by fukkin w4nkers.I fukkin hate this sh1thole
There really is no hope anymore.

Stuart
11-11-10, 10:21 AM
The only hope is to stop giving muppets false hope by claiming every man and his dog can get a degree... we are getting like the USA where a Bachelors or Masters degree means next to shag all in most cases.

Part of the reason all the eastern europeans are here is probablye because Labour told the blue collar workers that they can goto uni, get degrees and be equal to their managers etc, thus leaving a sodding great hole where the workshy wont go and the people that SHOULD be there are 'above' that work anymore. Hence an influx of foreign workers... Plus they graft harder for the same/less money.

Andy
11-11-10, 10:26 AM
But thats my point Stuart,10 years or so ago,a trade what may have been well paid is now less or still the same because of these guys who will do iyt for less.You cant knock the workers,its the greedy companies.That word GREED is what caused all this mess.Same as why we have no industry anymore,because its cheaper to buy and import than it is to make it here.I grew up in a city that once had thriving industry aswell as the biggest fishing industry in the country.Now all the industrial places/docks are seen on 28dayslater.co.uk
And the workshy come from the generation when every cunnt was on strike or "didnt believe in" work.Thus creating a fukktard generation we see today of daily ganja smoking,lager swilling ar5eholes

mowgli
11-11-10, 11:02 AM
there have always been jobshy people. in the early seventies, they were involved in the nationalised industries, which were massively overstaffed, i know a bloke who got made redundant from the pit in the mid eighties, and has not done a days work since, every time they offer him a job, or insist he goes to the interview, there is always some reason why he can't go.
25 years of doing eff all, cos he was told he had a job for life down the pit. he doesn't drive, he used to walk 200yds to work, and expects the state to provide him with the same......

Stuart
11-11-10, 11:06 AM
Andy, you seem to be confusing Profit and Greed....

Many companies are owned by sharholders who want returns on investments (not nessecaraly greed, just wanting to do better for themselves and families), and as there are usually MANY shareholders the companies have to 'make' a shed load of cash to cover that etc.

Aslong as its atleast semi ethical, I say make as much money as you can however possible. Capiltalism is working pretty well for the communists lol

Jack
11-11-10, 11:09 AM
Pilost, Drs etc all have MASSIVE debts after tuition, they still pay it all back.
But to be fair they have a career which pays relatively well, and a degree of use. Also, whilst their work is relatively specialized, the people with the qualifications aren't ten-a-penny like other billybob mikey mouse degrees (media/art/"social studies" students, I'm looking at you) so they're still in demand.

I reckon the reason Voda have been let off the bill is because they would msot likely move operations to someother country meaning most of Swindon is made jobless lol... so its probably cheaper to keep that lot employed and let off a large tax bill than to pay benefits to the staff lol
^ this. Yes, the government missed out on a hulking great tax bill, but how many people do you think Voda employs? Thats a lot of income tax.

Anyway, who's to blame - Vodafone for using the system (technically, what they did WAS legal according to EU law) or HMR&C for simply letting them off most of the bill? This skip was originally done ten years ago anyway, long before the current financial situation came to fruition.

....lest we forget all this came into public attention due to an investigation in Private Eye, which is merely glorified gutter press. But then "vdafone skipped £6bn tax bill" makes for a good headline and gives the masses something to get angry about :roll:

Stuart
11-11-10, 11:12 AM
Bingo, if its legal to do then its the law/system at fault not the 'perp'.

as for offshoreing/importing everything... If you run a business (that you OWN, to make it a bit more meaningful), and its getting towards not breakign even/a loss to make your product in the UK, but you and some of the company can stay in business by importing stuff/having it made in cheaper countries and sack some staff here, you would be without doubt THE stupidest person on the planet and not deserving of running a company etc.
Not greed there, just common sense. Its not nice I agree but Nice and Good Business dont always go hand in hand

mowgli
11-11-10, 11:13 AM
we all know that behind closed doors, the government (previous one) decided just how many people to stick into colleges even thought they had no hope of work, and were obsessed with lowering education standards so they always got better A level & gcse results, but if anyone who is older than 30 tries to talk a young person, the older person can't believe the lack of education that the younger person has.........
this has all come home to roost with people now employing foreign workers because they are better educated & are more interested in work for money...... and unfortunately it will take the best part of a generation to fix this mess.... like the last time.

Stuart
11-11-10, 11:19 AM
it will probably take a few generations to be fair...

With luck Amber will be dragged up knowing that she will have to graft if she wants to get anywhere in life. And that just because her cousins family can live off the state and not work, but still have the same stuff we do, it isnt a valid 'career' choice. Plus I will need supporting in my old age when I want to retire at 45 lol

Jack
11-11-10, 11:21 AM
People demand cheap goods. Cheap goods require cheap materials and cheap labour. If Jimmy English won't work for any less than £10 an hour and EnglishWood.com sells logs for £200 a ton, you're gonna hire Johnny Foreigner who's more than happy to work for 20p an hour and buy your logs from ChinaTrees.com for £100 a ton. Economics.

Unfortunately its a downward spiral, as the more people who lose their jobs or work for less money, the less quality goods they can afford so they buy cheaper stuff, which forces prices down which requires cheaper materials and labour etc

Andy
11-11-10, 11:28 AM
See i was never taught anything about careers/money etc at school.I was good at maths and A level standard at spelling/english when i was 12 but yet i fukked around and opted for work at 16 rather than full time education,which my choice would only have been college/apprenticeship anyway as i took only 2 exams in science and maths.Now im 25 and have many regrets as i could have done so much better for myself and now its too late as i have a house and family to provide for.So full time Education is not an option.And who the hell takes on 25year old apprentices?!! So ive basically fukked it for myself,with only myself to blame.
My point here is nobody ever made me the realise the importance of doing well,school never and my rents never,Im going to try my damn hardest to make sure my kids do the best they can,and teach them about cash and bills/careers etc.

Sloth
11-11-10, 11:30 AM
on a chinese note, anyone think cameroons flirting with them is a wee bit dangerous?

also stu: you just want your little un to keep you in rent boys and gay cars, when your old, yes? lol

andy: i asked my secondary school headteacher why we didnt study "how to get a job" or "how to manage money" his response? thats your parents job. but its the parents who shirk that cos "little chasneee-delaney has adhd and has tantrums" no, the kid needs a slap and telling the fook off. no one wants to take responsibility, be it mums, dads, teachers, govt etc. im glad your instilling that in your kids mate, i'll be exactly the same, cosd i left school with bugger all and grafted hard to get what i have.

rant over/

Stuart
11-11-10, 11:31 AM
Andy, The last sentence says its not explicitly your fault ;)

As with many of the current generations you see what your parents did and 'thats the way lief works'.... cycle continues and you dont see the otherside of the fence to see if the grass really is greener etc.
Its only when you find your grass is all brown and patchy that you either tough it out but make sure your kids get the other side, or you get you and your kids to the green side.

I know its not easy to get yourself out of the brown grass, but its pretty damn easy to help your kids do it :) (and if you have helped and they screw it up then its their fault not yours)

Andy
11-11-10, 11:32 AM
last week its french,this week china.Brown nosing at its best

Stuart
11-11-10, 11:33 AM
last week its french,this week china.Brown nosing at its best

Friends Close, Enemies Closer ;)

Plus the second China decides to import anything we can be on the doorstep offering a cheap manufacturing industry :)

mowgli
11-11-10, 11:35 AM
my kids are apparently perfect everywhere except at home, their teachers rave over their work ethic, their friends parents about their politeness, and good behavior, their out of school activity leaders too, but in home, they are lazy, untidy & fight with each other, i have merry hell getting them motivated to do homework....... any ideas folks????

i have tried a praise/merit/pocket money type system, i have tried removing access to tv, computers, ipods, phones, etc.... grounding, you name it, i've been there... the only thing i won't do is physical violence.

Jack
11-11-10, 11:36 AM
Friends Close, Enemies Closer ;)
Ding, we have a weiner :d

Andy
11-11-10, 11:36 AM
Andy, The last sentence says its not explicitly your fault ;)

As with many of the current generations you see what your parents did and 'thats the way lief works'.... cycle continues and you dont see the otherside of the fence to see if the grass really is greener etc.
Its only when you find your grass is all brown and patchy that you either tough it out but make sure your kids get the other side, or you get you and your kids to the green side.

I know its not easy to get yourself out of the brown grass, but its pretty damn easy to help your kids do it :) (and if you have helped and they screw it up then its their fault not yours)
Dont get me wrong they have worked (my dad at BAE systems 30years+),just never told me about anything at all.You probably wont be surprised to learn ive NEVER saved up for anything in my life,always borrowed or on tick.Pretty much "this generation"" for you!!
Like i say,my kids are all that matters,its just a shame i cant improve myself to have better things when theyre older and things get even more expensive:roll:

Sloth
11-11-10, 11:51 AM
my kids are apparently perfect everywhere except at home, their teachers rave over their work ethic, their friends parents about their politeness, and good behavior, their out of school activity leaders too, but in home, they are lazy, untidy & fight with each other, i have merry hell getting them motivated to do homework....... any ideas folks????

i have tried a praise/merit/pocket money type system, i have tried removing access to tv, computers, ipods, phones, etc.... grounding, you name it, i've been there... the only thing i won't do is physical violence.

"do it or i will have you adopted/kick you out" worked for my rents.:thumb:

Stuart
11-11-10, 11:51 AM

Waterboarding.... Its legal apparently ;) lol

Stuart
11-11-10, 11:52 AM
Dont get me wrong they have worked (my dad at BAE systems 30years+),just never told me about anything at all.You probably wont be surprised to learn ive NEVER saved up for anything in my life,always borrowed or on tick.Pretty much "this generation"" for you!!
Like i say,my kids are all that matters,its just a shame i cant improve myself to have better things when theyre older and things get even more expensive:roll:

BAE for 30+ years you say.... how the hell has he coped with that. I have barely managed 19 months at one of their daughter companies and I've gone insane lol

CrAzY_kAyLL
11-11-10, 01:18 PM
*yawn*

This thread is now turned boring :(

Think ill go start a riot over the state of the u.k roads that will stop me been bored who's with me ;)

mowgli
11-11-10, 01:19 PM
been there.... done that, got the hi viz jacket.

CrAzY_kAyLL
11-11-10, 01:21 PM
Well you didn't do a very good job :mad:

mowgli
11-11-10, 01:33 PM
council budgets have been slashed..... which is ironic cos all of their work is on the piss.........

there is a simple project near us where they are widening a road for a turning lane.... could be done & dusted in a fortnight easy.... they plan 8 weeks of disruption........

MK999
11-11-10, 01:38 PM
Exactly what I've been saying all along. Who pays the course fees? The government - the only people who don't get loans/grants are either a) the stupendously rich (and iirc they're even entitled to basic loan, enough to cover the course costs)

Actually anyone with a household income of over ~36k gets the minimum, which is £3500ish maintenance and £3000ish tuition fees, which is exactly the same as you're entitled to if you don't actually need anything at all.

Maximum is something like £7000 maintenance, on the student loan, but then you start getting into grants, bursaries from individual uni's etc, and tbh the maximums go way beyond what you need, usually adds up to about 8000-10000 a year on top of course costs, rent in oxford which is pretty high for the UK is about £320 a month in a 5 way shared house, leaves you about 5-7k for food and bills (500-700 a month).

I have to deal with about 200 a month, as my parents earn over 36k and that gets spent mostly on mortgage/bills at home (though I'm pretty sure part of the x-odd k we have stashed away to pay the mortgage off could be going towards my future but that's a different argument :p) and although I might be in debt (an actual debt btw, i/e overdrafts and credit cards) of about 4000, that's over 4 years. I'd be sitting pretty with my track car finished if I could get the maximum loan/fees etc, in fact even if I just got about £5000 a year instead of £3500 I'd at least be level, and then if I wanted to use my overdraft to build the track car that's my choice etc, and that could come from all those people simply putting their student loans into a bank account taking the interest and handing it back after their course finishes, or those that spend it and don't need it etc, i.e the fella on my campus with the brand new focus RS lol

This does include me earning over summer also, that generally gets used paying off the more immediate debts from the previous year, i.e the ones costing me interest as well as my living costs during the summer. That's about 3-4k a year I'd guess.

Seemed most people weren't sure how student finances actually work out, so there's a little insight into it.

mowgli
11-11-10, 01:58 PM
mk, just how good are your career prospects? as even though it is a fantastic degree course that i wish was around when i was doing my A levels, motorsport is famously tight fisted on wages & also has more ups & downs than a pogo stick........

Rysee
11-11-10, 02:20 PM
The students are revolting.

A select few have started ripping a building to bits etc.

What i'm finding amusing is, they interview the odd person, and when they mention that the police are randomly pummeling people, they suddenly go off air for no apparent reason lol

Students are revolting

mowgli
11-11-10, 02:36 PM
old gag......

feminist students are definitely revolting though.

MK999
11-11-10, 04:28 PM
mk, just how good are your career prospects? as even though it is a fantastic degree course that i wish was around when i was doing my A levels, motorsport is famously tight fisted on wages & also has more ups & downs than a pogo stick........

Bollocks lol

In all seriousness the course I'm doing and where I'm at is the best chance I've got, out of 9 graduates employed this year by Williams alone 8 were from Oxford Brookes, however you're looking at about 120 or so graduates a year, so there's a lot of competition, even with 12 F1 teams and prospects elsewhere there's people shuffling around teams etc etc, so it's not easy to get into and a lot of people want to work in motorsport, so wages are not brilliant, about 25k starting wage and best example I have of a realistic 'actual' wage is renault gearbox techs that got 35k 2 years ago.

When I'm graduating though, there will be a lot of new teams around imo, lots of the lower single seater formulas are gearing up and competing to be F1 feeder classes, lots of new GT stuff worldwide, as well as new F1 teams starting to show interest and also current ones growing after gearing down recently, porsche are evaluating the chances of a team to start in 2013.

So basically it could go either way, my plan atm though would be to work in motorsport for a couple of years for the experience and then move into automotive later on if I need the wages etc. Depends what happens in life really, I'm not really one to be chasing 150k a year or something, as long as I have enough money to do the things I like and pay for food/bills etc without thinking about what I'm buying too much, i.e relaxed lifestyle I'll be fine.

One thing I do have in mind is moving over to ALMS, as I imagine a UK educated engineer could rake in top wages over there as they dont know what an anti roll bar does...

Andy
11-11-10, 04:34 PM
BAE for 30+ years you say.... how the hell has he coped with that. I have barely managed 19 months at one of their daughter companies and I've gone insane lol
He did nights for 17 or so of those.He hates the place,especially since the plant hes at are constantly threatening job cuts and have since raised their retirement age to 55 from 50.
Work wise its all he knows/has ever known.They (the lads) used to make model cars and play darts on nights but they have clamped down a bit lol,sounded a good number!! lol

Stuart
11-11-10, 04:41 PM
Bollocks lol

In all seriousness the course I'm doing and where I'm at is the best chance I've got, out of 9 graduates employed this year by Williams alone 8 were from Oxford Brookes, however you're looking at about 120 or so graduates a year, so there's a lot of competition, even with 12 F1 teams and prospects elsewhere there's people shuffling around teams etc etc, so it's not easy to get into and a lot of people want to work in motorsport, so wages are not brilliant, about 25k starting wage and best example I have of a realistic 'actual' wage is renault gearbox techs that got 35k 2 years ago.

When I'm graduating though, there will be a lot of new teams around imo, lots of the lower single seater formulas are gearing up and competing to be F1 feeder classes, lots of new GT stuff worldwide, as well as new F1 teams starting to show interest and also current ones growing after gearing down recently, porsche are evaluating the chances of a team to start in 2013.

So basically it could go either way, my plan atm though would be to work in motorsport for a couple of years for the experience and then move into automotive later on if I need the wages etc. Depends what happens in life really, I'm not really one to be chasing 150k a year or something, as long as I have enough money to do the things I like and pay for food/bills etc without thinking about what I'm buying too much, i.e relaxed lifestyle I'll be fine.

One thing I do have in mind is moving over to ALMS, as I imagine a UK educated engineer could rake in top wages over there as they dont know what an anti roll bar does...

Personally I'd start in automotive and goto motorsport... but thats jsut the way I see it.
Anyone I've seen come into automotive from motorsport leaves pretty damn quick, whereas if you can tough out the stupid hours going from Automotive to Motorsport is pretty reliable.

Having said that My mates at Mclaren automotive (not F1) are working their nuts off and silly busy, but loving it.

mowgli
11-11-10, 04:45 PM
mk...you will find that americans know a hell of a lot about motorsport & have a motorsport industry that makes ours look puny....

MK999
11-11-10, 04:55 PM
mk...you will find that americans know a hell of a lot about motorsport & have a motorsport industry that makes ours look puny....

Not according to the lecturer I had that went to nascar and put them on pole after they asked "what do we need an anti roll bar for?" lol

Stuart
11-11-10, 05:03 PM
The yanks just 'guess' their way through it.... if they were 'that' good they would own/run all the F1 teams in the world lol

MK999
11-11-10, 05:16 PM
The yanks just 'guess' their way through it.... if they were 'that' good they would own/run all the F1 teams in the world lol

That is what I'm worried about, if I ever came out of US motorsport and came back here and all I have on my CV is educating Americans rather than being educated by UK companies lol

Mike
11-11-10, 05:20 PM
Does love a good old fashioned riot.

Lets go fcuking mental, lets go fcuking mental, nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah!