PDA

View Full Version : Gear Box/Lever

Tilly
29-05-03, 01:31 PM
I have a funny grinding noise in this area when i take the car over 3000rpm any one have any ideas what it is?

Dicko
29-05-03, 01:57 PM
when u say lever do u mean the gear stick or do u mean the actual lever on the box.

also does it do it when the engine is under load or when ur like sat not moving reving the engine.
if its when your not moving id guess it was resonating on something (dont worry)

however if its a proper grinding noise when your driving then maybe something on the way out. not to worry as those gearbox r common as much now :P

Snowface
29-05-03, 06:19 PM
you're not trying to put it in reverse are you?
j/k
Sounds weird.

Tilly
29-05-03, 06:38 PM
is something looseno its when i m moving. if i grab the gear knob it stops :? is something loose

rgv_stu
29-05-03, 09:45 PM
that sounds similar to mine
mine vibrates / growls at 3200 rpm in every gear and its the gearbox input shaft / end case bearings

mines gradually got worse over the last 40000 miles so i wouldnt worry too much unless it annoys you

jatinder
29-05-03, 10:18 PM
tilly i think your the first lady to post in this forum

mikeoxford
30-05-03, 12:50 AM
mine vibrates / growls at 3200 rpm in every gear and its the gearbox input shaft / end case bearings

mines gradually got worse over the last 40000 miles so i wouldnt worry too much unless it annoys you

if it is that its easy enough to fix.......

look down at the top of the garbox, and you need to replace the funny looking star shape casing on top

Dicko
30-05-03, 09:27 AM
have u tried sitting on it :lol:

rgv_stu
30-05-03, 10:31 AM

if it is that its easy enough to fix.......

look down at the top of the garbox, and you need to replace the funny looking star shape casing on top

erm... nope

its a gearbox strip down to fix , not the selector fork . you just get feedback down the selector shaft

mikeoxford
30-05-03, 11:56 PM
:oops: oh well

:| thats what i repaired when i had similar problems and it didnt give me no gref when i had finnished with it :twisted:

Tilly
31-05-03, 06:02 PM

sounds about right.

thanks guys