PDA

View Full Version : reg plate transfer question

mowgli
09-11-10, 10:03 PM
a lad at work is thinking about selling the reg. no off his old tractor as it could be worth a big load of money. i think that it isn't possible for transfers from tractors to cars any more......anyone know anything about this subject???

Nobby
09-11-10, 10:06 PM
google ftw

Nobby
09-11-10, 10:07 PM
oo oo oo

(ii) Only MOT (http://www.plates4less.co.uk/number-plates-FAQ/vehicle-registration-documents/full-list-transaction-documents.asp#mot) testable vehicles can undertake in the scheme, i.e. not tractors or agricultural

taken from http://www.plates4less.co.uk/number-plates-FAQ/vehicle-registration-documents/transaction-procedures.asp

mowgli
09-11-10, 10:08 PM
i was looking for grey areas..... as in a quad bike can be both a plg or an agric vehicle......

bazil
09-11-10, 10:11 PM
Duno but iirc it needs a mot lol or a current exemption.

david dixon
09-11-10, 11:53 PM
private plates are in pain in the backside imo (even though i have one), the car has to be tax and tested to remove the plate and if its been sorned for any length of time it also needs a vic check before you can remove it!

David.

Ben
10-11-10, 12:29 AM
He could SVA test the tractor so it can go onto the road thus then needing an mot and tax and then remove the plate, got to remember some old tractor plates are the most sought after!

Also i know if the car has been sorned for a while the DVLA can ask to inspect it but last time i heard it was not a VIC check which entails something completely different and then stating on the logbook the car has been accident damaged or previously scrapped so cant see them doing this.

Bubba
10-11-10, 12:40 AM
the old guy i rent a barn off of has 2 old erm piles of rust he wants the regs off but he cant as they are erm...well piles of rust, although he did hear off someone that if the VE-hickle is over 50 or 60 yrs old...it can be done with no mot. he was excited about that lol

Ben
10-11-10, 12:42 AM
Just ring them, piece of piss to ring a 50 year old tractor as long as you can find a decent one.

I know a guy who done it for years with series 1 landy's had one mint one and just screwed the vin plates on and off the rotters for the mot and inspection.

amggsi
10-11-10, 02:28 PM
He could SVA test the tractor so it can go onto the road thus then needing an mot and tax and then remove the plate, got to remember some old tractor plates are the most sought after!

Sounds good, but if SVA'd does that not mean it will get a new reg and therefore lose the valuable one?

I've looked into thois before as we have a tractor with a nice reg on it, but it couldn't be transferred, and no loopholes that I could see or it would have been done!!lol

Ben
11-11-10, 09:25 AM
Sounds good, but if SVA'd does that not mean it will get a new reg and therefore lose the valuable one?

I've looked into thois before as we have a tractor with a nice reg on it, but it couldn't be transferred, and no loopholes that I could see or it would have been done!!lol

Thats a very good point, but as they need to give it an age related plate and they dont have any that old im sure they would keep it on the original, but quite possibly not!

Royston
11-11-10, 10:25 AM
Having plenty of old tractors, the numbers are not transferable, changed in the eighties, no way to do it. MOT'd type vehicles only, no loop holes

mowgli
11-11-10, 11:42 AM
thankyou folks, question answered... i'll tell the chap the bad news....

tis a great pity, i know a farmer with an old combine rotting away with the reg VAU999Y, i'd love to put it on a panda car replica