PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 headlight thing on the shelf..

Spudly
09-11-10, 10:02 PM
Put this in here as im more after confirmation of my diagnosis than a mechanical question.

Just had my mate on the phone (Mcgowan from here) he has re-loomed his freshly acquired pearler of a two door loon (cnut) and with the ignition switched on and that little metal box doohicky thing plugged in, his headlights are on all the time regardless of switch position, rear lights are not on untill the switch is turned on, unplug the box and they work normally, am i right in thinking this is correct and theyre something to do with daytime running lights, and for some strange reason his actually works, as ive never come across one that actually works lol

mowgli
09-11-10, 10:16 PM
bang on spud, they were always useless, and removal is fine. mine passes mot's without it connected

it is some crappy relay that puts the dip beams on dimly... sling it in the humber

L14MNP
09-11-10, 10:17 PM
i thought it just give them a straight 12v with no current drag?

My mate said he fitted one years back and his lights improved ten fold. No gay running lights mentioned. lol

Spudly
09-11-10, 10:24 PM
I told him id double check as ive never come across one thats worked before so had not witnessed first hand what they do lol

Ive told him to leave it unplugged:thumb:

Jack
09-11-10, 10:48 PM
Ja, day lamps, leave it unplugged.

I had one on my old 2dr which worked as well btw :d But that was back in 2004/5 lol

L14MNP
09-11-10, 10:51 PM
Hmmmm the date I speak of was about 1998/9. I shall investigate this further. lol

Saloony
09-11-10, 11:01 PM
My 88 had it till it went poop. Dim relay unit. Activates when sidelights are on and ign on/car running. Turns headlights on but dimly. Not needed, not a legal or manufacturing requirement and can be removed without any issues.

Mcgowan
09-11-10, 11:15 PM
Haha spud your description was as good as mine on the phone!!lol well thats cleared that up i thought it was broken!!lol cheers guys :thumb: