PDA

View Full Version : plz help me remove my steering wheel lol

DEAN-DOHERTY
09-11-10, 12:34 AM
i need my dash board out to get in behind it at all the wiring to get my redtop wired in but the steering wheel is obviuosly in the way of getting the dash completly out.

i have removed the centre nut beehine the horn and pulled and pulled, 3 of us pulled on it at the same time but the fooking thing will not come off the splines,

as far as i know its only one big bolt holding it on

how can i get it off???

Mark
09-11-10, 12:39 AM
Get a steering wheel puller from a car shop or ebay.

DEAN-DOHERTY
09-11-10, 01:02 AM
yea my freind said that but £15 da remove a steering wheel, not meaning da sound lyk a tramp but omg :wtf:

ive got nova steering wheels off in the past by brute force but this biatch will not budge.

right looks lyk a possible £15 needing spent.

cheers

wwmnw
09-11-10, 01:22 AM
Did you try leaving the nut on and putting a socket on the end of a long extension bar and smacking it with a hammer a few times?

DEAN-DOHERTY
09-11-10, 01:39 AM
yea tried to shock it, quite a few times, didnt work :-(

wwmnw
09-11-10, 01:40 AM
Get a steering wheel puller then, will save time and effort in the future too.

Steve0011
09-11-10, 01:48 AM
or buy it for £15 sell it on for £10

DEAN-DOHERTY
09-11-10, 01:56 AM
um not thats a man with his head screwed on at 2am in the morning

Connor
09-11-10, 03:04 AM
I bought a steering puller off ebay for 5 quid posted,
a piece of kit worth having imo

CrAzY_kAyLL
09-11-10, 03:14 AM
right i've removed my steering wheel off 2 Novas now and had the same problem both times

The only way I got it off both times was by using a big hammer and smacking the steering wheel top bottom top bottom and so on as well as giving it a good old tug a few times then hitting it again top bottom top bottom until it finally comes free ( sounds like am on about having a w@nk but am not lol )

You might feel like your getting no where but trust me you will get it off in the end rather than wasting 15quid on something your going to use once ! Just make sure you dont smack your windscreen with the hammer or yourself which one of my mates did once when he did this to remove his steering wheel lol

Mark
09-11-10, 08:02 AM
I bet you a dime to a dollar it would get used more than once, they are great for removing aftermarket hubs too.

It's not like they just do the Nova either is it....90% of Vauxhalls.

bmw156
09-11-10, 08:55 AM
what i did is put your knees on the underside, and press upwards,

then pull the top towards you with your hands.

it should pop off

and i got a steering wheel puller, the greatest tool ever :D

mowgli
09-11-10, 09:00 AM
this (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114852&highlight=locate+steering+wheel). end of discussion, but you may like to put a wanted thread in for a new steering column

Stuart
09-11-10, 10:02 AM
put the nut back on the column as when it pops off after you and your monkey mates are pulling on it, you WILL get a broken nose lol

Oh and first/last text typing warning.

Jack
09-11-10, 12:18 PM
yea my freind said that but £15 da remove a steering wheel, not meaning da sound lyk a tramp but omg :wtf:
What the hell? lol

Another vote for a puller here, as said youre bound to use it more than once. Or just batter the column to death with a hammer.

grooge
09-11-10, 01:40 PM
steering wheel puller. like you i didnt want to buy one but after trying for so long i went for it. first time i used it popped the wheel off ine but the seond car i used it on needed both the steering wheel puller and a person pulling it off. it was so tight that the puller was just indenting the metal where it catches!! standard sr wheel aswell.

db_1.2
09-11-10, 02:34 PM
Lol i remember the first time i removed my steering wheel all them years ago. I ended up colapsing the steering column!

But if you wanna try and risk it for the sake of 15 quid, put the nut back on the end, while pulling the steering wheel, and belting the nut on the end.

CrAzY_kAyLL
09-11-10, 03:35 PM
Oh and first/last text typing warning.

Who ?

Oh wait just been threw the thread again and seen the text tarding by Dean lol

mayhem
09-11-10, 04:50 PM
please post up pics when you removed it without the nut

Andy
09-11-10, 04:54 PM
dont be a knock off nigel......

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU1FLC6sIDWVBqJPhWKWUbsIXPG47sG 2L99_yoZVJ9XNUzAEY&t=1&usg=__TYoC5fRFNW4cpCwNR8qwQEZCR_k=

Bubba
09-11-10, 05:12 PM
not meaning da sound lyk a tramp but omg :wtf:

no but you sound like a chav...i ****ing HATE it when people cant spell LIKE! :wtf::wtf:

mowgli
09-11-10, 05:13 PM
people are allowed to spell it loike, especially if from ireland, and leek if from the north-east

DEAN-DOHERTY
13-11-10, 01:42 AM
got it off, just unbolted the whole steering column. and i think some of you will find i can spell!!!!!!!

and what is it to you if im a chav???

anyway cheers to the lads who gave me advice but i had already decided to just take the whole column out before i got back to your replys lol

mowgli
13-11-10, 07:19 AM
if it is still stuck, pour boiling water on the centre boss, the ally will expand quicker than the steel, and loosen it

Stuart
13-11-10, 05:03 PM
got it off, just unbolted the whole steering column. and i think some of you will find i can spell!!!!!!!

and what is it to you if im a chav???

anyway cheers to the lads who gave me advice but i had already decided to just take the whole column out before i got back to your replys lol

chav or not, you dont text type on here, unless you want to be sin binned.

Balley
13-11-10, 05:18 PM
if it is still stuck, pour boiling water on the centre boss, the ally will expand quicker than the steel, and loosen it

Thats a pretty good idea :)