PDA

View Full Version : MK4 Astra weird problems (long post)

wwmnw
06-11-10, 11:42 PM
Would have posted this in the correct section if I knew what the problem was, was going to post it on mig but it would have ended up an argument over mapping got locked and bans would be dished out lol

A workmate has just bought a Mk4 Astra X reg 1.4 16v for £700, quite cheap and for a reason, he just dropped me off and was telling me about the problems which were, it judders which I witnessed, mainly at 4k but did it at 3k too

EML light is on

There was a weird kinda grinding noise when going round a round-a-bout or sharp right corners :wtf: sounded like it was coming from the front end, wheel bearing?

When in 3rd at about 50-60 (he thought he was in 5th lol ) the engine died to which he dipped the clutch and let it back out while in gear and it came to life then died again, this happened about 8 times in the space of 1 minute

Parked up outside my house and I tells him to pop the bonnet and straight away I notice scratches on the top of the wing as if someone has had the bonnet off and caught the wing when putting it back on, this is when he told me its apparently had a new engine.

It fired up alright after a few minutes of me looking around but too dark to see anything but I reckon its been in a crash as the headlights aren't properly secured yet it was MOT'd about a week ago, the lad hasn't even had it a day yet.

Sorry for the long post.

Rich
06-11-10, 11:44 PM
give the throttle body a clean out, breather is probably blocked. If the eml is on you need to see what the codes are

L14MNP
06-11-10, 11:46 PM
Goosed AFM and CV joint?

wwmnw
06-11-10, 11:51 PM
Goosed AFM and CV joint?

It drives fine up to about 4k and once its past there it picks up fine, just has this slight judder at about 4k

L14MNP
06-11-10, 11:53 PM
TPS? Service it.

Test things or better, get it plugged in.

Bubba
06-11-10, 11:56 PM
There was a weird kinda grinding noise when going round a round-a-bout or sharp right corners :wtf: sounded like it was coming from the front end, wheel bearing?

im assuming it gets louder on right hand bends (seeing as you go round the roundabout that way, and may possibly get slightly quieter on left hand bends?

wwmnw
07-11-10, 12:03 AM
TPS? Service it.

Test things or better, get it plugged in.

I was thinking TPS but wouldn't that affect it at random places in the rev range not just at 3-4k? I think he knows a mechanic but I'd imagine he'd like to get as much info as he can about it tbh and try get his money back as he's clueless about cars and admits it.

im assuming it gets louder on right hand bends (seeing as you go round the roundabout that way, and may possibly get slightly quieter on left hand bends?

Only heard it on right hand turns, nothing when turning left but even then it was only when turning alot to the right I.E round abouts or full lock.

Bubba
07-11-10, 12:08 AM
i would check the wheel bearing. i had this once. not good. needed hub as well

david dixon
07-11-10, 09:08 AM
i would be tempted to check TPS as stated above or cam sensor

David.

John
07-11-10, 09:56 AM
if the eml is on, read the codes first i'd say.

AlexW
07-11-10, 10:05 AM
You can flash the codes on them? Do it.

Crank sensor IMO is one problem, Poss others too.

Keif
07-11-10, 10:45 AM
The cutting out problem WILL be the EGR valve. If you'd read the codes, you'd find out quicker than typing the problem on the internet.
Either clean it, replace it or blank it off.

The squealing could just be the brake disc splash guard, just get the wheel off and have a look, check for enough clearance, while you're there you can then check the wheel bearing and CV joint.

wwmnw
07-11-10, 11:26 AM
I wasn't checking it at 11 o clock at night lol never done the code flashing thing either, I think he's going to take it back to the garage.

He did a text check and some basic hpi check or something and nothing came back on it, yet both headlights are insecure (seem to be held on by just the little bolt on the top :eek:) front bumper doesn't seem to line up well, although I could be mistaken and the other things I mentioned. Weird.

L14MNP
07-11-10, 11:30 AM
Just sounds like your typical rough newer car that's [Mike Brewer] seen the wrong side of a hedge a couple of times [/Mike brewer] and generally not been looked after, hence the price.

These can be tunred into good cars, or they can be nothing but trouble. lol

As for the HPi, given the repair standard I'm not surprised it isn't recorded. lol
Luckily for him it's a Vaux and parts are never gonna kill him. Definitley flash the codes. The judder could also be a blocked fuel filter, but is more than likely a sensor mentioned previously.

When you say taking it back to the garage do you mean he bought it from a trader?!

Keif
07-11-10, 11:30 AM
Depress the accelerator and brake pedal and turn on the ign.

The EML will flash.

Count the flashes and write down the code.

(10 flashes = 0)

wwmnw
07-11-10, 11:32 AM
Just sounds like your typical rough newer car that's [Mike Brewer] seen the wrong side of a hedge a couple of times [/Mike brewer] and generally not been looked after, hence the price.

These can be tunred into good cars, or they can be nothing but trouble. lol

As for the HPi, given the repair standard I'm not surprised it isn't recorded. lol
Luckily for him it's a Vaux and parts are never gonna kill him. Definitley flash the codes. The judder could also be a blocked fuel filter, but is more than likely a sensor mentioned previously.

When you say taking it back to the garage do you mean he bought it from a trader?!

Yeah £700 isn't a bad price for a car with problems, if its nothing major and he bought it from a place in err Seaham, I think.

Depress the accelerator and brake pedal and turn on the ign.

The EML will flash.

Count the flashes and write down the code.

(10 flashes = 0)

Cheers Keif will text him about that :thumb:

L14MNP
07-11-10, 11:33 AM
The dealer has a legal obligation to ensure it is fully working then afaik (i'm not sure on the in's and out's) but if he says there's no warranty he is talking BS.

wwmnw
08-11-10, 02:21 PM
Turns out it was the lambda or as he's just said in the text

Was something to do with the lambda or something that connects the engine to the exhaust, drives fine now, for now.
that still doesn't explain the cosmetic problems.