PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions

Connor
06-11-10, 08:19 PM
When changing the engine over from a 1.2 carbed to a 1.6 8v
-do the driveshafts need to be changed,
-fuel tank, what one do i need
-anything common problems i should know about?

Thank you in advance :thumb:

Damo
06-11-10, 08:24 PM
Shafts are same connor
Tank if your running mpi will be best changed to a spi tank.
Think thats it mate.

AlexW
06-11-10, 09:55 PM
Bit of wiring, Or find a gsi loom.

But as said, SPi tank, MPI intake pump.

mowgli
06-11-10, 10:56 PM
wiring is dead simple, make sure you get the gte throttle cable & heater pipes, use copper for the fuel lines,

AlexW
06-11-10, 11:01 PM
Im not a fan of the copper fuel lines, I prefer the plastic that the spi's have. Its what i ran on my 16v too. And conner, the plastic fuel lines i have are free to you :p

Connor
06-11-10, 11:02 PM
Cheers for the tips, i was intending on removing the dash and using the whole gsi wiring loom.
I was going to use copper fuel lines anyways.
Mowgli, will the heater pipes off a gsi fit a standard 1.2 rad?
And also what is the difference between the e16se and the c16se?
*edit alex i may use plastic fuel lines if you have them then lol
*edit again, reputation must be spread around mowgli sorry

mowgli
06-11-10, 11:06 PM
the heater pipes are unique to the mpi engine, but all the heater matrixes are the same, so they will fit. the other pipes are pretty much the same as the 1.2, and the 1.2 rad is fine.

c16se has a cat, the e16se hasn't, the c16se can have dizzy or dizpak.

please don't waste your time stripping the whole loom & swapping it.. you only need 5 wires & a 1.6 mpi engine loom will splice into a std loom really easily. is your 1.2 a carb or spi???

MK999
06-11-10, 11:09 PM
1.2 carb looms are the favoured one for conversions etc anyway as they're the simplest/lightest. Better to run more wires to get what you need than have 30 unused imo

Connor
06-11-10, 11:10 PM
Mine is a 1.2 carbed, thats why i thought it may of been an issue.
I thought, seeing as a nova dash is easily removed then it would be more simpler to just remove the loom and start from scratch?

Connor
06-11-10, 11:11 PM
Think the title is the best for this thread lol, i am such a noooob :cry:

mowgli
06-11-10, 11:13 PM
one wire goes to the back of the starter(big red), one goes to the coil feed (med black), one to the fuel pump(red/blue), one to the rev counter(green) & the last one goes to the old choke light(brown/white or yellow, i can't remember) to use as the eml.

it is a 10 minute wire up on a 1.2, the rest of the 1.2 engine loom is simply reused.

Connor
06-11-10, 11:23 PM
Okay, so where do those wires wire upto? the ecu?
Never owned an injected car lol,

mowgli
06-11-10, 11:29 PM
the mpi engines have their own engine loom. you label up your 1.2 loom as you undo it, then when the 1.6 engine & box get fitted, you fit the sender & starter/alternator wires, then you connect the wires that i said above from the efi loom. & when the efi tank& pump are installed, it simply starts & is actually quite underwhelming... then you drive it.

MK999
06-11-10, 11:31 PM
... then you drive it.

are still underwhelmed and start thinking about whether you can insure a 2.0/whether a 16v would be better in my case lol

mowgli
06-11-10, 11:37 PM
after a 1.2, a 1.6 is a great fun step, and about doubling the hp is a good enough boost for a start. i just know what would happen if i stuck an xe in my car, and i don't think you lot would come to the wake

Connor
06-11-10, 11:42 PM
Cheers Mowgli your an actual legend, can someone please + rep him for me
And feel free to nep rep me peoples for my complete noobness, but you gotta learn sometime lol.
And i really cba with a 2.0 xe, wanna make it to over 21 lol

MK999
06-11-10, 11:45 PM
after a 1.2, a 1.6 is a great fun step, and about doubling the hp is a good enough boost for a start. i just know what would happen if i stuck an xe in my car, and i don't think you lot would come to the wake

I just found mine felt slow despite "performing 100bhp quick" as me and CG decided on putting it lol He felt the same way about his, hence his turbo escapades (and my planned ones)

Connor
06-11-10, 11:49 PM
Im not too bothered about speed tbh, as im not a real fast driver, probably due to having a 1.2 for nearly 2 years lol,
Just want something with a little bit more poke

pikey1986
07-11-10, 04:57 PM
i loved my e16se, it was great as a daily (i used to get about 30mpg with the occasional 'spirited drive' and i kind of wish i never sold it in bits but im getting a 20xe over crimbo:cool: