PDA

View Full Version : Opening Rear Windows - The Truth

Graeme
06-11-10, 07:21 PM
I was always told these were standard fit in the more southern parts of Europe, but recently a few Spanish members have also said they are hard to find, I know there are a few members on here with them and they change hands for large sums of money imo but there are usually for three door models and most of the time are incomplete, I know Steve (Duick) has a set fitted to his two door (TR) but these are the only set I have ever seen for a saloon, does anyone know what contry these were standard fit on? Does anyone know which countries the Nova / Corsa a was sold in?

Edd
06-11-10, 07:37 PM
I think they were optional extra in every country I think

Don't think I ever seen a set for a saloon tho

bazil
06-11-10, 07:43 PM
Yip saloons have there own glass, different from hatch ones avalible in clear or bronze and different rubbers from hatch too, even the latch to open them are different from the hatch, infact the only part that is the same is the rubber grommits in the B post.

Graeme
06-11-10, 07:50 PM
Cheers for that Bazil, didn't know that

Edd
06-11-10, 07:50 PM
Ask Rich he's probably got 3 complete sets in his loft lol

Edd
06-11-10, 07:53 PM
http://www.vauxhallgreenparts.co.uk/Nova.html

Some glass here not sure if it's a full set, on my phone so can't check numbers on EPC, seals and grommets are going to be a problem I reckon tho

Graeme
06-11-10, 07:53 PM
I'd like to think that is true but I've been up there and checked lol

Novasport
06-11-10, 07:58 PM
Ask Rich he's probably got 3 complete sets in his loft lol

Err, I have:roll:lol, no saloon ones though sorry!

Graeme
06-11-10, 08:04 PM
I'll see what Steve can lay his hands on lol

Novasport
06-11-10, 08:18 PM
I know Steve had a right job trying to find ones for his saloon so you might struggle.

Graeme
06-11-10, 08:19 PM
I have heard that before Rich, have you got any good leads for me to try Rich, pretty please?

Damo
06-11-10, 08:20 PM
Graeme can you not get your original rear windows cut and adapted to open out?

Perhaps use a latch off a mk3 fiesta or summat?

Damo.

Edd
06-11-10, 08:21 PM
I'm sure some in that link are saloon ones

Novasport
06-11-10, 08:37 PM
I have heard that before Rich, have you got any good leads for me to try Rich, pretty please?

Not really, I'll have a dig around but Steve is prob your best bet

Damo.

Not an option, opening glass is larger than a fixed glass

Tried loads of different handles but none have come close so far.

I'm sure some in that link are saloon ones

Nope, only hatch glass for one side.

bazil
06-11-10, 08:38 PM

Damo.

no, the glass is to small the opening window glass is larger than the standar glass, rubbers aint so difficult as many other cars have rubbers that can be used/adapted

edit too slow lol

Novasport
06-11-10, 08:39 PM
Kia Pride rubbers fit ;)

Novasport
06-11-10, 08:42 PM
Oooh, found you some clear glass but it wont be cheap!

Graeme
06-11-10, 08:44 PM
Two door? In the uk?

Novasport
06-11-10, 08:46 PM
God damn, got the seals aswell but no handles I'm afraid. Think it was the handles that Steve had problems finding.

Novasport
Yep saloon ones, not UK I'm afraid.

Rob
ive tried steve and mayhem for opening rears and both might aswell have just lol so i guess they are thing to the ground

Novasport
06-11-10, 08:51 PM
They have a pair of each side aswell so it could make 2x PNG'ers happy lol

Graeme
06-11-10, 08:55 PM
Spill the beans Rich by pm obviously lol

bazil
06-11-10, 09:03 PM
Oooh, found you some clear glass but it wont be cheap!

lol if its where i think it is they are bloody deer for bits

Novasport
06-11-10, 09:12 PM
PM sent. You get them & you owe me big time lol

Graeme
06-11-10, 09:21 PM
Not a problem Rich - I'll buy you a brew at Billing next year lol

Rick Draper
06-11-10, 11:32 PM
Some 3 door novas are incompatible with opening rear quarter glass....

Rick Draper
06-11-10, 11:35 PM
lol if its where i think it is they are bloody deer for bits

Deer=
http://www.marty-prokop.com/blogpics/free_deer_hunting_tips_big_buck.jpg

Dear or Dears or some variant thereof can represent many things.
Dear may refer to:
Dear, a Japanese manga series by Cocoa Fujiwara.
Dear (Shion Miyawaki), a 2008 pop album
Dear (surname), a surname
Drop Everything And Read, a form of school-based recreational reading
Dears may refer to:
The plural of "dear", see the above section.
Dears, a Japanese manga series by Peach-Pit.
The Dears, a band

L14MNP
06-11-10, 11:42 PM
cud

Cud is a portion of food that returns from a ruminant's stomach in the mouth to be chewed for the second time. More accurately, it is a bolus of semi-degraded food regurgitated from the reticulorumen of a ruminant. Cud is produced during the physical digestive process of rumination, or "chewing the cud". The idiomatic expression chewing one's cud means meditating or pondering.

This game is fun. lol

Rick Draper
06-11-10, 11:53 PM
Cud is a portion of food that returns from a ruminant's stomach in the mouth to be chewed for the second time. More accurately, it is a bolus of semi-degraded food regurgitated from the reticulorumen of a ruminant. Cud is produced during the physical digestive process of rumination, or "chewing the cud". The idiomatic expression chewing one's cud means meditating or pondering.

This game is fun. lol

If we are getting really pedantic:

cud

Pronunciation:/kʌd/
noun
[mass noun]
partly digested food returned from the first stomach of ruminants to the mouth for further chewing

deer

Pronunciation:/dɪə/
noun (plural same)
a hoofed grazing or browsing animal, with branched bony antlers that are shed annually and typically borne only by the male
Family Cervidae: several genera and many species

But then i have more to do than trawl threads others have posted in looking for mistakes in grammer and spelling and only quote what i see...

L14MNP
06-11-10, 11:54 PM
I just used Wiki. Your definition is the one I also subscribe to. lol

Meh, time for MOTD and TFLS. :)

Rick Draper
06-11-10, 11:59 PM
I just used Wiki. Your definition is the one I also subscribe to. lol

Meh, time for MOTD and TFLS. :)

MOTD long since over! ****ing Rag *******s winning in fergie time!

mowgli
07-11-10, 12:13 AM
But then i have more to do than trawl threads others have posted in looking for mistakes in grammer and spelling and only quote what i see...

it is grammar.

bazil
07-11-10, 12:14 AM
Some 3 door novas are incompatible with opening rear quarter glass....

yup, my gsi doesn't have the holes for the b post hinges

Edd
07-11-10, 12:24 AM
I think only early mk1 shells have the slots in the b pillars

wwmnw
07-11-10, 12:24 AM
Would love a set for my SR but being a MK2 I guess it wont have the slots either?

mowgli
07-11-10, 12:26 AM
i have wondered about fitting a metal surround to std glass, and then fixing brackets to it.. i'm sure its doable with the right section stuff, i'm thinking on the lines of some vintage thing

edit, didn't the mini clubman have something similar?

L14MNP
07-11-10, 10:52 AM
MOTD long since over! ****ing Rag *******s winning in fergie time!

I know what time it is on. lol Sky Plus'd it so I can ffwd She-ra and co talking bollocks son.

Pistol Pete
07-11-10, 11:16 AM
Would love a set for my SR but being a MK2 I guess it wont have the slots either?
No it won't. Cut them in. That's what I did.

L14MNP
07-11-10, 11:25 AM
^ Aye, aren't they just square holes? Nothing too taxing.

Pistol Pete
07-11-10, 12:07 PM
Exactly that. Put my surrounds in (they all have the slots but abit bigger) mark out, cut abit smaller and job jobbed.

mayhem
07-11-10, 12:20 PM
you can still get the B piller rubbers and hinges. for the window rubber, i can get new ones for mk1 astra's, i can check for nova's aswell.

i placed them in my mk1 astra this week, with all new parts.
if someone know's the size of the B piller rubbers for a nova, i have an extra set for sale from a mk1 astra.

Graeme
07-11-10, 12:20 PM
Have you fitted yours now Pete? How do the different tints look side by side?

Pistol Pete
07-11-10, 12:23 PM
Not yet. Need to finish my roof lining so i can fit it all. TBH, i didnt notice much difference, BUT lol they still had the plastic film and i was sooooo nervous about dropping them whilst me and my dad sorted the fixings!!!

Will get some pics up when they are fitted.

mayhem
07-11-10, 12:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Set-Ausstellfenster-Opel-Manta-B-Ascona-A-B-Corsa-A-/350399267892?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item51956c8434

there you go.. found them in a 10 minute google last week :P
i used these parts, and they fit very well. just use a good glue.

Edd
07-11-10, 01:02 PM
i might be interested in a set now lol

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 01:24 PM
Not sure about the saloons but for the 3 dr Novas a trip to Germany and France will get you a set of pop out back windows for a Nova as that is where they sell them

Hope you get some sorted out for your Saloon though Graeme as they will look well lush on your car :thumb:

Graeme
07-11-10, 04:30 PM
Hope you get some sorted out for your Saloon though Graeme as they will look well lush on your car :thumb:

Cheers pal, I hope your next Nova is a good one

bazil
07-11-10, 05:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Set-Ausstellfenster-Opel-Manta-B-Ascona-A-B-Corsa-A-/350399267892?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item51956c8434

there you go.. found them in a 10 minute google last week :P
i used these parts, and they fit very well. just use a good glue.

that's the ones I have too, IMO very good quality parts.

mayhem
07-11-10, 05:48 PM
Not sure about the saloons but for the 3 dr Novas a trip to Germany and France will get you a set of pop out back windows for a Nova as that is where they sell them

dont be to sure about that. afaik it was an option on all the euro nova's.

duick
07-11-10, 08:19 PM
mayhem is right, Rear opening quarters were never fitted in any country as standard. only as an option. And they are rare in every country.
And it's also not true that I have a set on my saloon :(
But it's true that the seals and handles are NLS

Edd
07-11-10, 08:23 PM
if there any seals from another car that fit ?

NOV4_SPORT
07-11-10, 08:24 PM
The kia pride iirc

iain

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 08:36 PM
mayhem is right, Rear opening quarters were never fitted in any country as standard. only as an option. And they are rare in every country.

Yeah they was an option extra but you will find in Germany they have loads of them that was never used hence it been easy to get them from Germany :thumb:

Graeme
07-11-10, 08:52 PM
And it's also not true that I have a set on my saloon

I stand corrected, I'm not sure I've ever even seen a two with them then

duick
07-11-10, 08:57 PM
Yeah they was an option extra but you will find in Germany they have loads of them

That's new for me, I know of only 3 cars in Germany that have them!!

Rob
07-11-10, 08:59 PM
I stand corrected, I'm not sure I've ever even seen a two with them then

im sure i have a pic some where in a brochure but carnt remember where it is :mad:

Graeme
07-11-10, 09:12 PM
I've seen loads of hatches just never any proper Novas lol

bazil
07-11-10, 09:18 PM
i dug out the nova sales booklet that covers all early novas and the opening rear windows i'snt on the options list for hatch or loon, maybe thats why they are so rare over here?

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/random2/6f607411.jpg

Novasport
07-11-10, 09:50 PM
And it's also not true that I have a set on my saloon :(
But it's true that the seals and handles are NLS

I thought you had everything Steve. What bits do you have?

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 10:03 PM
That's new for me, I know of only 3 cars in Germany that have them!!

Like I said they are all on the shelf waiting to be bought up didn't say they was all on Novas waiting to be taken out :roll:

Novasport
07-11-10, 10:40 PM
Steve has access to all main dealer and factory stock in Germany so if it was available he would get it. It took a while to get the hinge levers for me a couple of years ago and they may have been the last, so no there is not a load of parts sat waiting!
Steve knows more about Corsa A's/Nova's than you will ever know.
Living up to your rep I see.

db_1.2
07-11-10, 10:44 PM
Ive known glass to be drilled, surely that would be easiest.

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 10:55 PM
Steve has access to all main dealer and factory stock in Germany so if it was available he would get it. It took a while to get the hinge levers for me a couple of years ago and they may have been the last, so no there is not a load of parts sat waiting!
Steve knows more about Corsa A's/Nova's than you will ever know.
Living up to your rep I see.

Just letting you know the info i've been told which is there is loads in Germany and like you said they may have been the last but that just means you dont know if they was the last ones out there - Plus i've never claimed to know more about Novas than this ste bloke your talking about so run along back to your hole :p

As for living upto my rep think it's a lot better than a lot of people on here because least I know speedlines aint a standerd alloy on the GSI Nova lol just because am not a Nova geek who thinks all Novas must look the same as when they left the workshop dont mean I dont know what am talking about either :roll:

Novasport
07-11-10, 10:56 PM
Jeez, read the thread chap, FIXED GLASS IS TOO SMALL!

Novasport
07-11-10, 11:00 PM
Just letting you know the info i've been told which is there is loads in Germany and like you said they may have been the last but that just means you dont know if they was the last ones out there - Plus i've never claimed to know more about Novas than this ste bloke your talking about so run along back to your hole :p

As for living upto my rep think it's a lot better than a lot of people on here because least I know speedlines aint a standerd alloy on the GSI Nova lol just because am not a Nova geek who thinks all Novas must look the same as when they left the workshop dont mean I dont know what am talking about either :roll:
Crack on then chap, buy up all these windows. You will sell them many times over on here. I'll put an order in now for some levers.

I think you will find the 'Speedlines are standard' comment was sarcasm but you possibly aren't clever enough to work that out.

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 11:03 PM
If I had a passport and the money to go and buy them then I would but I dont :p

You sure the lad looked like he was been rather serious to me :roll:

Novasport
07-11-10, 11:08 PM
Heard of email/phone & DPD/UPS etc. I buy a lot of stuff from Germany, it works for me.

By the way, its being, not been ;)

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 11:13 PM
Like said if I had the cash to buy them all then I would but I dont so I cant ;)

Oh dear lord now your giving me English lessons when it was you who actually spelt it wrong in the first place :roll:

Edd
07-11-10, 11:21 PM
FPMSL @ crazy kyall

Stick to ratting up cars if I were you lol
If Steve/duick can't get it you won't ffs

Novasport
07-11-10, 11:24 PM
Err, not at all. It is 'may have been' although given your intellect you would probably say 'may av bin'

So you have quoted & highlighted my correct grammar then questioned it lol

Oh dear!

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 11:32 PM
So just because one person can't get something for a Nova now means no one else can get this part for a Nova right ill make a note of that cheers Edd ;)

Pmsl @ Novasport

You really are digging yourself a hole now because your trying to claim am a text tard just because I said you spelt something wrong when you tryed telling me I spelt it wrong first lol or are you just trying to claim I dont speak perfect english ? If so does this mean you do and you sound like a member of the royal family when you speak if so I feel so sorry for you

Here give me your hand and ill pull you out of that hole you seem to be stuck in :thumb:

CrAzY_kAyLL
07-11-10, 11:33 PM
So you have quoted & highlighted my correct grammar then questioned it lol

Oh dear!

I dont claim to be an english teacher or go round telling people how to spell because am not sad :p

Stuart
07-11-10, 11:40 PM
Surely the hinges and handles arent 'that' complex.... Must be a manufacturing bod here who can replicate them for you

Graeme
08-11-10, 06:52 AM
The hinge rubbers have been linked up on here and the metal part is already on the glass, the latches are a combination of other Vauxhall models parts iirc

mayhem
08-11-10, 04:17 PM
So just because one person can't get something for a Nova now means no one else can get this part for a Nova right ill make a note of that cheers Edd ;)

no mate, steve (duick) is the nova god.

there is nothing steve doesnt know about corsa/nova's.
if steve says that there rare, they are rare.

@duick: i orderd a new set of GM rubbers for my mk1 astra opening rear quarters, he got them from germany, i just need to collect them at the post office.
PS autoteile sells aftermarket rubbers for nova's.

mayhem
08-11-10, 04:18 PM
The hinge rubbers have been linked up on here and the metal part is already on the glass, the latches are a combination of other Vauxhall models parts iirc

if someone has a close up pic from a nova latch, i can compare it to my mk1 astra ones.

bazil
08-11-10, 04:40 PM
This is a loon latch, it is different from a hatch one where the 3 screws go thorough, on a hatch latch the base is flat on this it's rounded.

I've checked EPC and astra mk2 ones are different.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/random2/6d34fc78.jpg

Edd
08-11-10, 04:47 PM
PS autoteile sells aftermarket rubbers for nova's.

Thats a good site Mayhem

cant find the seals tho, got a link ?

do you know if they post to England ?

MiniManDan118
08-11-10, 04:48 PM
Is this a set of the frames you'll be needing...?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-gsi-rear-window-frames-/250718754241?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a600095c1

Edd
08-11-10, 04:59 PM
Is this a set of the frames you'll be needing...?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-gsi-rear-window-frames-/250718754241?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a600095c1

thats just the surrounds from a GSI/GTE/SR, seals for opening rear windows seem to be the problem

Graeme
08-11-10, 05:00 PM
I maybe on to some

Edd
08-11-10, 05:02 PM
I maybe on to some

windows for your saloon ?

or masses of seals, latches glass etc ? :d

Graeme
08-11-10, 05:03 PM
The latches might be the problem

Edd
08-11-10, 05:03 PM

pm me a link to this shizzle ?

mayhem
08-11-10, 05:05 PM
ausstellfenstergummi oder ausstellfensterdichtung is the magic word

http://www.ps-autoteile.de/ausstellfensterdichtung_2_5m_100440_p.dpage?cag=33 8425

bazil
08-11-10, 05:05 PM

not for you lol

mowgli
08-11-10, 05:06 PM
mayhem, that sort of seal is available in loads of places in the uk..

mayhem
08-11-10, 05:08 PM
i know ;)

i never said i knew of original parts ;)

bazil
08-11-10, 05:11 PM
i know ;)

i never said i knew of original parts ;)

did you check your catch to the one i posted?

mayhem
08-11-10, 05:14 PM
not yet, but iirc mk1 astra ones are rounded where the 3 screws go.

bazil
08-11-10, 05:17 PM
same as the saloon nova ones then, EPC does not list parts for astra mk1 so i cant check the numbers,

Graeme
08-11-10, 05:44 PM
Rich has showed me the difference between a Nova and mk1 astra ones in the past they are about 10mm longer in the mount part and will put too much force on the window when closing/latching

BRoadGhost
08-11-10, 08:43 PM
My very first car [a Y reg nova ofc] had these.

At the time you just don't think they are of value, except when the GF wants to get in the back lol

Novasport
08-11-10, 10:05 PM
Nova Hatch handles...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/DSCF1877.jpg

bazil
08-11-10, 10:12 PM
Iirc the saloon ones are shorter in overall lenght, that and as I said earlier the base is curved and not flat as in the above picture.

mayhem
09-11-10, 03:23 PM
i'll make a pic of my mk1 astra handles.

useless for you guys but.. my brandnew GM window rubbers arrived today for the astra:d

i've mailed the guy if he also can get hold of corsa ones.

mayhem
09-11-10, 04:45 PM
had contact with the guy.. seals are NLS
but i might have something pretty for sale soon.... ;)