PDA

View Full Version : Vernier pulleys

tom741
04-11-10, 11:28 PM
Hi (just out of interest) I know that Vernier pulleys can be quite necessary to extract maximum gains from a performance cam... But is there any gains to be had from fitting one to a completley stock engine or is it just a waste of time and money?? anyone tryed it? replys apreciated
cheers :)

ste porter
04-11-10, 11:44 PM
set to 0 other than few gram gained in term of weight i cant see any gains realy other than engine bay bling and to be honest the gains from the weight you would never notice

if your talking about a let an xe inlet cam retarded to half a tooth which iirc is 7 degrees on a round tooth pulley people claime to see gains of 7-8 bhp and report alot more free reving engine but the gains here are maid by the cam itself and the optimisation of the valve timeing durration and lift not the pulley on its own

tom741
04-11-10, 11:51 PM
pretty much as i thought, i was reffering to an 2.0 8v as all being well should have one next week, was just intregued as you never know how accurate the timing marks are as standard, i have a vernier on my ast1 on my 1.3 lump but never got the jist of setting it up right, i have moved it a few degrees in either direction to see if any gains could be felt but the only difference i noticed was if i advanced it it was better low down but ran out of steam quite quick and vice versa for retarding it.

garyc
05-11-10, 06:43 AM
Your best to test them on a rolling road. Also if you just moved the pulley it changes the ignition timing too. If you advanced the cam (and didnt reset the timing) that will explain why it ran better low down.

tom741
05-11-10, 08:00 AM
i adjusted the dizzee to compensate, i never got round to having it fully set up on rolling road as my local one quoted me about 300 quid and i thought that was abit steep lol