PDA

View Full Version : Nova Rally Car

ianm
04-11-10, 10:28 AM
Morning all.

Can anyone give me some advice as to a "turning in problem" with a Nova rally car that we are fetaling.

On turn in, there seems to be no responce and as you progress through the corner it seems to get better. It is as though the car starts to understeer very ealy on in the corner and so gives very little confidence to the driver.

The car is runnig with no front anti roll bar and bilstein strut and inserts.

It also seems to be worse on right hand bends.

Having not worked on Nova's before i hope this will be the right place to sort this problem.

Cheers.

Damo
04-11-10, 10:32 AM
Morning all.

Can anyone give me some advice as to a "turning in problem" with a Nova rally car that we are fetaling.

On turn in, there seems to be no responce and as you progress through the corner it seems to get better. It is as though the car starts to understeer very ealy on in the corner and so gives very little confidence to the driver.

The car is runnig with no front anti roll bar and bilstein strut and inserts.

It also seems to be worse on right hand bends.

Having not worked on Nova's before i hope this will be the right place to sort this problem.

Cheers.

Hi mate what poundage springs are you running on the front as it sounds like they could be too high and you may need a softer spring.

Damo.

ianm
04-11-10, 10:43 AM
Not sure as the car was brought with uprated suspention.

I am thinnking that it needs to be stiffend up not made softer as there seems to be to much body roll.

My first thoughts were to try a anti roll bar and stiffer springs ?

mowgli
04-11-10, 11:20 AM
RIGHT...can you give a few more details...

engine size & power

is it road rally or forest stage?

tyre size

then people can give you a better idea.

ianm
04-11-10, 12:32 PM
Ok, in reply to last post,

C14se but seems to be run off Carb? Pretty much standard apart from a 4 branch manifold.

The car is a road rally car, All the front bushes have been polybushed as well.

as for tyre size it is running on standard 175/65/r14 with correct pressure.

Ian.

mowgli
04-11-10, 12:58 PM
try an arb. for road use it will be some use, and uprated springs are harder & are more use on major roads, not country tracks...

just try a set of cheap std springs. the car will ride the bumps better and on country roads, a softer sprung car will go better

now, the above opinion is only what i think, i drive my nova in the country & i recently stuck a set of std springs back on for the winter, and it goes just as quick as it did, but is much nicer to drive, and it has arbs front & rear & it corners quite well on 185/55r15 tyres, so your 175's should be ok.

Will F
04-11-10, 01:32 PM
Check the rack bearing - we had a Nova that didnt like going left, but used to fly off right at the slightest of movement!

The bearing had collapsed inside the rack!

adam c
04-11-10, 01:57 PM
I know it sounds stupid but have you had the tracking checked?what specs do you use?I.e toe,camber and caster.

ianm
04-11-10, 02:22 PM
Yes, the car has had the tracking done. unsure of how i can change the camber and caster on a standard car?