PDA

View Full Version : C20XE, Daily Drivers

n0va_
03-11-10, 12:25 AM
Who uses a C20XE Nova as a daily ?
Reliable ? MPG ? (on a steady drive) etc, cheers :thumb:

saloonwoody
03-11-10, 07:25 AM
iv always used my xe conversions as dailys , as long as its put together right its as reliable as it should be and believe me you WONT drive it steady lol in two weeks i had an asbo and a 42 day ban :(

Jack
03-11-10, 07:31 AM
lol, its perfectly usable as a daily drive - an XE'd Nova isn't so fast it'll wheelspin the Earth out of orbit.

Reliabilty, as with anything, just depends on a) how good the engine is, and b) how well you look after it. I ran mine for about a year with no issues apart from a duff oil filter which drained all the oil out - but still managed to drive 2-3 miles home with no oil lol We did all things like filters, leads, belt, plugs etc whilst fitting the engine, so effectively a service then and wasn't a massive cost. Average MPG was around 35.

Ernie
03-11-10, 07:41 AM
i used one of mine as a daily and was fine and very good on fuel.
As said you will end up putting your foot down from time to time tho as it can be such a giggle lol.

Will F
03-11-10, 08:37 AM
They should be no less reliable than they are in Calibras, Astras and Cavaliers, as long as they are fitted correctly!

I have used one for 5 years plus - good on fuel and poke when you need it.

Nobby
03-11-10, 05:56 PM
As said should see 35mog driven steady but you never will drive it steady

Adam
03-11-10, 06:01 PM
My nova gets unbelievable mpg when driven steady. Seen 40+ a few times.
They are great on dual carriageways/motorways (ok maybe not stripped cars lol), because xe's have a lot of torque for a car as small as a nova so you can easily pick up speed without changing down a gear.

Jack
03-11-10, 06:35 PM
They are great on dual carriageways/motorways (ok maybe not stripped cars lol), because xe's have a lot of torque for a car as small as a nova so you can easily pick up speed without changing down a gear.
Enter stage left, V6

I can go from 20mph all the way to whatever it tops out at without changing out of 5th lol

Andy
03-11-10, 06:36 PM
O.P-Why?! you really built it for fuel economy??? sad!!

srs1
03-11-10, 07:14 PM
as said above. i have driven xe'd nova's as a daily for the last 6 years or so. again as said above, reliability all depends on your driving technique and the engine build (fitting) quality.

garethcolley
03-11-10, 08:05 PM
My nova gets unbelievable mpg when driven steady. Seen 40+ a few times.

My old LET was similar, minimum throttle in 5th and it would go forever, i wasn't far from 40 mpg on a run and its chipped.

Paul
03-11-10, 08:24 PM
XE Novas are good runarounds if you enjoy bumpy uncomfortable daily driver!

Its only as reliable as you build it!

nova_saloon
03-11-10, 08:35 PM
i use mine everyday and do about 100 miles a day in it! pretty bad i know. but yeh i got 48.9mpg on the motorway on an F16 gearbox so really good, just **** in down, you just got to be careful with your right foot is all. nothing seems to go wrong with it there pretty bulletproof if you treat it like a daily, not ragging the tits out of it all day long. cause yours asking for it!

BRoadGhost
03-11-10, 10:13 PM
Yep lots of torque & power means it can pull well from low revs; accidently pulled away whilst not in 1st gear a while back & thought that was a bit of a strain in 2nd, only to realise it was 4th.

TBH though I find sitting at higher revs worth the fuel cost.

Spudly
03-11-10, 11:16 PM
XE Novas are good runarounds if you enjoy bumpy uncomfortable daily driver!

Its only as reliable as you build it!

Or keep it in the cav it came from and youre onto even more of a winner lol

maddogdaz666
03-11-10, 11:26 PM

so true especially if its a GSi :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bubba
04-11-10, 12:02 AM
+reps ahoy

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Spudly again.

:(

(steal it from a calibra or astra instead)

Mieran
04-11-10, 12:05 AM
Killing an Astra GTE? Are you mad!

Cav won't be as fast though ;)

Bubba
04-11-10, 12:08 AM
Killing an Astra GTE? Are you mad!

Cav won't be as fast though ;)

mk3...not a gte

Mieran
04-11-10, 12:16 AM
If I had to kill a car for its XE it will either have to be a Cav (hatchback) or Calibra

Rysee
04-11-10, 12:46 AM
Wish I still had my GSi, saloon or nothing when it comes to Cavs... and Novas. Could actually afford to run a GSi now long after it's dead and it's engines probs in a Corsa :cry:

Hobbit
04-11-10, 03:04 AM
Luckily no astra's or cav's were harmed in the making of my nova. My xe was out of a corsa lol

Tbh though, I would happily kill any cav, astra or even a nova for a project :)

Jack
04-11-10, 07:24 AM
The only Vauxhall worth having for its engine is an Omega :d

Ernie
04-11-10, 07:26 AM
The only Vauxhall worth having for its engine is an Omega :d
Yours is a saab lump lol...

Jack
04-11-10, 07:27 AM
Yep. No shonky Vauxhall branded tat here lol

Mazz
04-11-10, 11:52 AM
Yep. No shonky Vauxhall branded tat here lol

Apart from all the metal around the Saab lump!

Just used Jack MPG thread and with mixed driving i managed 38mpg out of mine..

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156286

Jack
04-11-10, 12:28 PM
Apart from all the metal around the Saab lump!
Lies, no metal there! Thats all rust lol

maddogdaz666
04-11-10, 04:54 PM
Wish I still had my GSi, saloon or nothing when it comes to Cavs... and Novas. Could actually afford to run a GSi now long after it's dead and it's engines probs in a Corsa :cry:

+ rep, it MUST be a saloon!!

Mieran
04-11-10, 05:05 PM
glad to know im not the only one who thinks cav hatchbacks are ghey lol