PDA

View Full Version : open university courses

draper
01-11-10, 11:39 AM
Anyone got/had any experience doing them ? Are they worth it compared to 'real' uni ?

I'm sure I remember someone on here saying they'd had there course materials through recently

pikey1986
01-11-10, 11:51 AM
it was jacks other half i think

Jack
01-11-10, 12:03 PM
That wasn't a proper OU course, but it was similar.

Better than uni IMO as you can do the course in your own time, at your own pace (to a certain degree) and still keep down a proper job. And not have to put up with stinking student bums lol

draper
01-11-10, 12:46 PM
So I could take my school work to the pub ? Be like I was 15 again lol

Hayley
01-11-10, 08:45 PM
I signed up for a UK open learning course in forensics. It was a year course and Ive got 2 months left. All the course material got sent out at the start and all ive had to do is email my essays back to the tutor for marking. Its been quite good really but its only a basic introduction course. I was thinking about signing up for another one when this one finished.

My friend at work is doing a diploma home course. Lot of work there but obviously worth it. She is always bringing stuff into work :)

Andy
01-11-10, 08:49 PM
Do you need qualifications or would you have to work towards some and then do a course?
Basically ive had enough of dead end jobs and being treated like a cunnt for garbage money.Want to work towards a new career but cant afford to quit work and be a full time student as i have a family and a house to support.Im also worried that because i was only allowed to sit 3 gcse's that i will have to retake most again?

Hayley
01-11-10, 09:01 PM
Im sure with the UK open learning website, you can do pretty much any course you want. but I cant remember tbh. Im sure with the higher courses like the diploma my mate is doing), you have to gain certain qualifications and then move onto the next phase of it but you can do things like A levels and equivilants no problem I reckon.

Andy
01-11-10, 09:08 PM
Thanks Hayley,+Repped.
I went to see a careers advisor not so long back who basically said-"its either full time training/education,or carry on as you are" So i suppose thats not the case and she needs a good boot to the taco???

Hayley
01-11-10, 09:12 PM
Im the same. I wanna new carer but my employer obviously wont release me to go to college for a couple of days a week. I know the course im doing at the moment wont exactly guarantee me a job but its something to stick on my CV and makes me feel like im at least trying to change things.
good luck andy!

Jack
01-11-10, 09:56 PM
Andy, look into mature student stuff. I'm sure I remember reading if you're over 25 you can basically do anything, no matter your qualifications!

Bubba
01-11-10, 10:14 PM
So I could take my school work to the pub ? Be like I was 15 again lol

yes!

Connor
02-11-10, 01:48 AM
And not have to put up with stinking student bums lol

Draper can verify that as i am that stinking student bum haha

draper
02-11-10, 05:13 PM
thanks for the info hayley.

open universaity do a 'introduction/newbie' course for a couple of hundred quid so im gonna give one of those a go (although it will probably be after xmas now unless i get a few more days overtime soon)

AlanH
02-11-10, 07:45 PM
Andy, look into mature student stuff. I'm sure I remember reading if you're over 25 you can basically do anything, no matter your qualifications!

not even 25 mate. im 23, doing a foundation degree in ICT support, i didnt have all of the exact qualifications specified for the course, and never worked in it in my life but still got on due to me being a more mature student :thumb:
only do 3 hours on a wed/thurs night then the rest in my own time, still follow same curriculum and get same qualifications as the full time course

draper
02-11-10, 07:47 PM
Do you need qualifications or would you have to work towards some and then do a course?
Basically ive had enough of dead end jobs and being treated like a cunnt for garbage money.Want to work towards a new career but cant afford to quit work and be a full time student as i have a family and a house to support.Im also worried that because i was only allowed to sit 3 gcse's that i will have to retake most again?

you should get funding aswell mate, if your dont currently have a 'level 2' qualification (5 GCSE's at A-C is level 2) the government will fund your course.

i ended up getting my electrical nvq funded saving me £1100 :cool: