PDA

View Full Version : GT STS XCR 1000 DH Mountain Bike

chimp007_uk
31-10-10, 09:40 PM
Anyone into biking?

Now I seem to have more time on my hands since I moved back to Coventry, I thought I'd get a good bike and get out and about with a couple of work mates.

I've got a Missions trial bike, that I converted into a jump bike but it's not practical for long rides.

Was scowering eBay earlier this evening and found a bike that I first saw years ago... GT STS XCR 1000 :d Listed badly, no info etc... emailed the guy and he sent me a telephone number, had a quick chat. Usual story, selling on behalf of a mate, however I got the info I wanted!

Now back in the day (1999/2000) when it was launched, it cost circa £4k :eek: its a carbon fibre frame, with Rox Shox SID front and rear shocks, Shimano XTR gearset etc. This one has bomber front forks fitted, hope hydraulic front brake, all the rest looks standard. According to the guy, it needs grips and front pads, no damage or scratches etc.

Anyway, looking at other "newer" bikes with similar spec go for £800+ I thought its got to be worth £350.

10sec...9sec...8sec...7sec...6sec...5sec...BID...3 sec...2sec...1sec...WIN:) £322 :thumb:

Will try and pick it up tomorrow evening and get some good pics. Here's a link from the retrobike forum of a bike purchased last year... Link (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75845&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) I'll give it a good look before parting with any cash!

This is the bike I won

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!B6Fl6O!B2k~$(KGrHqF,!i8Eyd45Yv5-BMwIWwPz,w~~_12.JPG

Opinions?

Chris

TeddyThom
31-10-10, 09:48 PM
That's not a bad bike to be fair dude, I used to have a marin B17, god how I miss that bike, they still go on ebay for like 600 odd quid! I paid, not that bloody much lol.

Bubba
31-10-10, 09:54 PM
bargin :D

although ive never quite understood...front disc rear V brake.

chimp007_uk
31-10-10, 10:09 PM
bargin :D

although ive never quite understood...front disc rear V brake.

They're originally v-brakes all round. It's had the hope front brake fitted recently. I'll see how the brake set-up is with fresh pads in the front and go from there. Might fit a hydro rear disc or Magura HS33.

Spudly
31-10-10, 10:11 PM
I dont like you anymore :p

chimp007_uk
That's not a bad bike to be fair dude, I used to have a marin B17, god how I miss that bike, they still go on ebay for like 600 odd quid! I paid, not that bloody much lol.

Thats it, as much as I want a top spec bike, I don't to spend the stupid price tags! This bike is worth the money I bidded in parts alone. I'll put it up for sale on the bike forums if it's not for me.

I'll give it a good look over and be 100% sure before any money changes hands!

chimp007_uk
I dont like you anymore :p

You want first dibs lol

Spudly
31-10-10, 10:12 PM
You want first dibs lol

Definately:thumb:

grooge
01-11-10, 10:19 AM
They're originally v-brakes all round. It's had the hope front brake fitted recently. I'll see how the brake set-up is with fresh pads in the front and go from there. Might fit a hydro rear disc or Magura HS33.

struggle to fit a disc if theres no mount on the frame ;)

check it thoroughly for cracks before parting with any cash.

GDN16v
01-11-10, 10:44 AM
Nice bike ,but a DH bike it is not!;) Relatively light full suspension xc/trail bike it is!

Check the areas around the bottom bracket, alloy shock mounting on the main frame and steerer tube to make sure there is no cracks. The cracks are very fine on the sts bikes and even a small one can look like a scratch. :thumb:

Also check to make sure the idrive is working when youre riding it as there a pain in the **** to fix!

chimp007_uk
01-11-10, 12:42 PM
struggle to fit a disc if theres no mount on the frame ;)

check it thoroughly for cracks before parting with any cash.

:roll: Good point, I noticed that this morning when I started looking at brake options. Magura's would be the way to go me thinks.

chimp007_uk
01-11-10, 12:46 PM
Nice bike ,but a DH bike it is not!;) Relatively light full suspension xc/trail bike it is!

Check the areas around the bottom bracket, alloy shock mounting on the main frame and steerer tube to make sure there is no cracks. The cracks are very fine on the sts bikes and even a small one can look like a scratch. :thumb:

Also check to make sure the idrive is working when youre riding it as there a pain in the **** to fix!

Thanks for the heads up! I know how the Idrive works, when you pedal it extends the rear swing arm to force the tyre into the ground. Whats the easiest way to test? Other than riding?

Thanks

chimp007_uk
01-11-10, 05:43 PM
Been thinking about it today, is it a case of putting the front brake on and pedalling in a low gear to check the rear pushes down? The seat to bb shouldn't change.