PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a Trackday Nova

MiniManDan118
31-10-10, 09:26 PM
Hi All

Just to introduce myself, I'm Dan, 17 from Bristol. Have been into cars since, well, forever, and have recently restored a Mini Pickup. After selling both that and the other Mini I had as an everyday car, I purchased my daily and me and my Dad have both gone halves on a 1991 Nova Flair 1.2, although the 1.2 went to heaven a while ago to be replaced with a 2.0 redtop. The car's on adjustable 'competition' shocks, lowered/stiffened springs, fully stripped out with welded in cage etc etc. Rolling roaded recently at 161bhp and 143 ft/lb torque, so goes like a bat out of hell compared to the 1275 Mini I'm used to!

Dad runs ACW Motorsport Plastics who make polycarbonate windows for race, rally and fast road cars so the idea is to pop in a full set of polycarbs and get to the trackdays! Bit of advertising and a lot of fun :thumb: All being well...

If you need any windows, or advice about windows pop over to the website (google ACW Motorsport Plastics) or PM me. I belive we've got templates for the Nova 3dr, Nova 2dr saloon and Corsa 3dr.

Anyone planning on going to the charity track day at Combe end of November? Hopefully it should be our first in this car :d

Will see you all around!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/danwright68/3-1.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/danwright68/1-3.jpg

Pete
31-10-10, 09:51 PM
maybe worth having a word with Colin (NovaRally) on here as he's after some poly's for his hill climb nova.

Bubba
31-10-10, 10:06 PM
If you need any windows, or advice about windows pop over to the website (google ACW Motorsport Plastics) or PM me. I belive we've got templates for the Nova 3dr, Nova 2dr saloon and Corsa 3dr.

looks like favouritism towards the lesserdoors :wtf::wtf::wtf:

haha lollol im messin

philip
31-10-10, 10:17 PM
welcome, ive got a set of the polys off your dad in the new year for my corsa...still not fitted yet though haha

plans for the nova or leave as is for now?

chimp007_uk
31-10-10, 10:18 PM
Welcome, shame you'll need 15 posts before you can get pics up.

Speak to admin, maybe sort something in the traders section for your old man. There's alot of trackdayers/racers on here!

MiniManDan118
31-10-10, 10:53 PM
Yeah, not many people race 5dr Novas and Corsas surprisingly :p although we'll do them if someone wants them! We've done things like 5dr golfs before.

Ok, I'll pm admin tomorrow and try to sort something. Might be able to get a discount for png members, I'll give it a go.

Plans are to sort the slight tickover issue, new cambelt, tensioners, water pump, new front tyres (uniroyals aren't going to get us far on track!) and just a little bit of tidying up. Remove the old stickers and get some ACW ones on it and stick some windows in then go and give it some beans round combe end of this month.

Dan :)

Bubba
31-10-10, 11:23 PM
in the near future i may be interesed in some front 5dr ones

Mark
31-10-10, 11:36 PM
Hello again Dan...

Can't imagine how you got a template for a 2-door saloon...lol

Oh yes I can..

That Mini Pickup looked stunning.

novarally
01-11-10, 08:37 AM
Hi All

Just to introduce myself, I'm Dan, 17 from Bristol. Have been into cars since, well, forever, and have recently restored a Mini Pickup. After selling both that and the other Mini I had as an everyday car, I purchased my daily and me and my Dad have both gone halves on a 1991 Nova Flair 1.2, although the 1.2 went to heaven a while ago to be replaced with a 2.0 redtop. The car's on adjustable 'competition' shocks, lowered/stiffened springs, fully stripped out with welded in cage etc etc. Rolling roaded recently at 161bhp and 143 ft/lb torque, so goes like a bat out of hell compared to the 1275 Mini I'm used to!

Dad runs ACW Motorsport Plastics who make polycarbonate windows for race, rally and fast road cars so the idea is to pop in a full set of polycarbs and get to the trackdays! Bit of advertising and a lot of fun :thumb: All being well...

Anyone planning on going to the charity track day at Combe end of November? Hopefully it should be our first in this car :d

Will see you all around!

(Would post up pics of the cars, but it won't let me till I've posted over 15 times. Watch this space!:d )

Welcome to PNG Dan.

As Pete said, I'm looking for a set of polycarbs for my Nova hillclimb car, I'm after ultimate light weight, so I want to see if they can be done in 2mm thick material.

I want to bond them direct to the shell which should make them more rigid, and lose the weight of the rubber seals.

Perhaps you could run it past your Dad and see what the verdict is?

Thanks.

richi
01-11-10, 05:41 PM
did you buy the nova off here?

Mike
01-11-10, 05:43 PM
Group buy discount on polycarbs please lol

Angus Closier
01-11-10, 06:25 PM
You dont know luke allen from weston (irrc) do you?

MiniManDan118
01-11-10, 10:29 PM
Hi

We could do thinner windows yes, they won't conform to msa regs though so please check if you'll be allowed, but if you want it we can do it :) I'll ask dad for a price as we'd have to special order in the plastic. Do you want all the windows or just the fronts? Any sliders?

I bought the nova off pistonheads, I think it's still on there under motorsport > trackday cars > roadlegal. Red with white compomotive alloys.

I'll see what I can so with regards a png discount :)

And yeah I know luke, how do you know him?

Dan:)

MiniManDan118
01-11-10, 10:52 PM
Yep still on pistonheads, page 2 ;)

Looking for a suitable trailer to tow it on now, if anyone knows of one for sale. Something cheap and cheerful!

Angus Closier
01-11-10, 11:40 PM
And yeah I know luke, how do you know him?

Im at college with him in bridgwater, He said one of his friends had just got a nova.

Didnt think many people have just sold there mini pick up for a nova! (good choice btw)

Angus

novarally
02-11-10, 09:23 AM
Hi

We could do thinner windows yes, they won't conform to msa regs though so please check if you'll be allowed, but if you want it we can do it :) I'll ask dad for a price as we'd have to special order in the plastic. Do you want all the windows or just the fronts? Any sliders?

Thanks Dan.

I want 2mm thick windows (not subject to MSA thickness regs, so it's OK).

I need all the windows - doors, rear quarters and tailgate.

I don't need sliders, but I do want to be able to bond the windows in place, so they need to be slightly oversize (as I won't be using the rubber seals).

Thanks!

MiniManDan118
02-11-10, 10:29 AM
Ah that's cool. Yeah I know him well.

I'll talk to dad later about the price of 2mm windows. It'll end up getting very hot inside without any ventilation though. Have you thought about a popout vent in each quarter? They are made from polycarbonate too. I'll weight one if you want?

Mazz
02-11-10, 10:31 AM
Viper stripes FTW!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2187592.htm

Do you know what gearbox its running? All it says is 4 speed..

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2187/2187592-9.jpg

Mazz
02-11-10, 10:32 AM
NovaRally/Colin does hill climbs/sprints with his car so isn't in it for a long time..

Mike
02-11-10, 10:42 AM
I'll see what I can so with regards a png discount :)

If you could please, im after polycarb for a Corsa B, im wanting the tinted & curved version with sliders in both front windows, a entire car set please :)

novarally
02-11-10, 12:01 PM
Ah that's cool. Yeah I know him well.

I'll talk to dad later about the price of 2mm windows. It'll end up getting very hot inside without any ventilation though. Have you thought about a popout vent in each quarter? They are made from polycarbonate too. I'll weight one if you want?

Thanks.

I have no ventilation at the moment and it's not a problem.

Ben
02-11-10, 05:48 PM
No doubt colin will drill holes in them, he does everything else lol

Hello and welcome!

MiniManDan118
02-11-10, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the link, and thanks for choosing the worst photo!! Haha The viper stripes don't look quite so silly in real life :P

Funny story about the gearbox. You know you have the little plastic limiter that comes off the stick to stop you putting it in reverse without pushing the stick down, well there was one the otherside too. My mate who went up to collect it knows his redtops, and after looking under the bonnet realised the standard f20 (??) gearbox was fitted, so after snapping this little clip off, 5th gear magically appeared! Bargain! :D

So ever since the car's had a redtop it's only ever had 4 gears! D'oh!

A Corsa B kit is fine, I'll get a discount sorted and let you know prices etc.

A full kit in 2mm polycarb will be £110 + £20 p&p. We'd have to get the plastic in special order, so might take a little longer than usual but we have no problem doing it for you.

Cheers

P.S Who should I PM about a PNG discount for the windows?

novarally
02-11-10, 07:12 PM
A full kit in 2mm polycarb will be £110 + £20 p&p. We'd have to get the plastic in special order, so might take a little longer than usual but we have no problem doing it for you.

Cheers

Spot on, many thanks Dan.

I will give you/your Dad a ring and sort out an order for the kit.

Angus Closier
02-11-10, 07:14 PM
[quote=MiniManDan118]
Funny story about the gearbox. You know you have the little plastic limiter that comes off the stick to stop you putting it in reverse without pushing the stick down, well there was one the otherside too. My mate who went up to collect it knows his redtops, and after looking under the bonnet realised the standard f20 (??) gearbox was fitted, so after snapping this little clip off, 5th gear magically appeared! Bargain! :D

So ever since the car's had a redtop it's only ever had 4 gears! D'oh!

Cheers

[quote]

HAHAHA thats funny, but indeed the f20 is a 5 speed!

Where abouts you from? Would be nice to have a look round this with luke at some point? Do you have it on the road? or is it just going to be used just for track days?

Spudly
02-11-10, 07:22 PM
P.S Who should I PM about a PNG discount for the windows?

You will need to speak to Lee (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&f=30) with regards to a PNG discount but for this you will also need to become a registered trader i wouldve though, Lee will be able to tell you better than i can though:thumb:

Hello and welcome btw lol

MiniManDan118
02-11-10, 07:24 PM
It's got tax and mot, mainly for practical purposes getting it to and from garages etc. I'm from Nailsea, about 7 miles north of weston.

And thanks, pm on the way in a minute...

BRoadGhost
02-11-10, 08:14 PM
Viper stripes FTL

Plus those aren't close enough to look like the ones on a Viper, you could drive a bus up that gash.

Try doing something original :(

MiniManDan118
02-11-10, 10:27 PM
Pulling the stickers off is lifting laquer in places,.so there's no way the stripes are coming off lol. As I said, they don't look out of place in real life

richi
02-11-10, 11:07 PM
Viper stripes FTL

Plus those aren't close enough to look like the ones on a Viper, you could drive a bus up that gash.

bit harsh the lads only just bought the thing ffs give him time

plus on the track they make it go faster fact

MiniManDan118
02-11-10, 11:23 PM
lol, it's a proven fact, painting your engine red gives you 10bhp more, and putting go faster stripes on your car makes you 10mph faster!

MiniManDan118
02-11-10, 11:31 PM
Oh and sorry to everyone about being so wishy washy about prices of windows, discount etc. Basically our new website should be going live on friday with all the prices revised (some going down a little and some going up a little) so am having to try and sort out the correct price for you! It shouldn't be much different to the on screen price on our site at the moment, and just agreeing a discount with Admin for all PNG members. Hopefully will be 10% Off list price on all Vaux products.

Angus Closier
02-11-10, 11:34 PM
Viper stripes FTL

Take some people with a pinch of salt/ignor!

At the end of the day you got it as a track slag and not a show car!!

Hope its all working well etc!

Good luck on the track now!!:thumb:

SR-Rally
02-11-10, 11:37 PM
Might be interested in rear window and 2 rear sides. Will pm in next few weeks ;)

MiniManDan118
02-11-10, 11:45 PM
No worries, it definately is far from a show car, it's there to be used (and abused a little :P) not look pretty lol

And ok, should have discount and prices in place properly by then :)

Ben
03-11-10, 01:35 AM
Your from Nailsea and make polycarb windows... hmmm Dont suppose your old has ever had anything to do with Marcol Plastics or cant think of the other one down there!

MiniManDan118
03-11-10, 09:44 AM
He did work for a plastic engineering company for 12 years in Nailsea yes, not Marcol though.

paul91085
03-11-10, 09:58 AM
I bought a set of polys from ACW about 2 months ago. Just getting round to fitting them now and they are spot on. I have kept mine with the standard windows rubbers and they have fitted perfectly. :d

beggsy
03-11-10, 10:13 AM
i could be interested in 2 rear sides and the back if you could pm me a price please pal

MiniManDan118
04-11-10, 06:12 PM
Okey dokey, just sent off the money to become a trader on PNG, so I'll put prices and discount up now.

We're going to offer 10% off prices for all PNG members/users. Just make sure you tell us you are part of PNG before you buy so we can send an invoice off to you for the right amount. Please ignore the prices on our website, as this will all have changed in the next couple of days. The prices are as follows:

Vauxhall Nova 3dr. Either 1 or 2 part front windows
AND
Vauxhall Corsa 3dr:

Standard prices:
Front door window - £31.95 each
Rear quarters - £53.95 pair
Rear window - £49.50 each
Full Kit (all of above) - £133.50

Fitted slider in front window - £17.50 each

With PNG 10% Discount:

Front door window - £28.75 each
Rear quarters - £48.55 pair
Rear window - £44.55 each
Full kit (all of above) - £120.15

Fitted slider in front window - £15.75 each

Vauxhall Astra Mk3 3dr or 4dr saloon:

Standard prices:
Front door window - £31.95 each
Rear quarters - £59.50 pair
Rear window - £54.50 each
Full kit (all of above) - £138.95

Fitted slider in front window - £17.50 each

With PNG 10% Discount:

Front door window - £28.75 each
Rear quarters - £53.55 pair
Rear window - £49.05 each

Fitted slider in front window - £15.75 each

P&P is £20 on a full kit, £15 on a part kit UK Mainland.

Will be copying this to a trade post when I'm confirmed as a trader.

Thanks

Jack
04-11-10, 06:41 PM
Cunningham stripes :p

[/pedant]

MiniManDan118
05-11-10, 03:47 PM
Cunningham stripes :p

[/pedant]

:d lol

CP
06-11-10, 08:19 AM
You'll have fun with that Good luck on your first time out!

But be warned. Trackdaying novas is an illness that empties your pockets faster than you can fill them!lol

MiniManDan118
06-11-10, 09:16 AM
I'm used to that illness with my minis, the pickup cost me 3x what I budgeted for lol