PDA

View Full Version : e16se starting problem

tommy8252
31-10-10, 03:05 PM
this started last night jumped in my car and tried starting and it struggled and died when i accellarated got it started again and kept it revving untill it had warmed up then it had no problem. Did the same thing again this mornin but when i eventually got it started it was popping like crazy and when i checked the spark plugs cylinder no 1 was coated in petrol as if it was being flooded. Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be ive put new ngk spark plugs in last week and have bought some bosch super 4s for it today

mowgli
31-10-10, 03:35 PM
what is the engine management light doing??

sounds to me like an HT lead is faulty.

tommy8252
31-10-10, 03:48 PM
engine management light isnt doing anything changed all ht leads and king lead cleane all points in dizzy cap and changed rotor arm there is spark from all four plugs. It also hesitates when it gets to around 5000 revs but pushes through it.

tommy8252
01-11-10, 08:57 AM
right got it started this mornin poppin from exhaust and airflow meter stopped at high idle and calmed down set off got an almighty backfire and now refuses to start at all. Thinkin maybe hall sensor has gone in dizzy? Timing belt marks all line up properly. Definately sounds like an ignition timing problem to me

tommy8252
01-11-10, 12:44 PM
swapped dizzy and now all is well

tommy8252
07-11-10, 03:14 PM
right problem is back now only when starting from cold and no backfiring just really difficult to get started from cold. Replaced dizzy, rotor arm, cap, leads and plugs all with new. Rechecked ignition timing on dizzy and timing on belt all fine. No air leaks and only normal vauxhall ticking when running. Runs perfect when warm. Any ideas its starting to do my head in had to replace starter this mornin as it burnt out with tryin to get it started.

tommy8252
09-11-10, 04:51 PM
compression tested this mornin runnin 100psi across the board at tickover and changed coil and booster pack still the same. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this engine? Airflow meter? Temp sensor?

Damo
09-11-10, 05:44 PM
The engine shouldnt be running whilst your doing a compression test mate you should take the king lead off.

You should do a wet and dry test when cold.

You need to be looking for around 160psi on all four to rule out compressoin worries.

And the temp sensor could well be your problem mate its a comon problem across all various vaux engines i believe there all the same across the range
so you could get one from the scrapyard just to try.

Hope this helps mate.

Damo.

dyl rhino
09-11-10, 06:48 PM
as above coolant temp sensor :)

tommy8252
10-11-10, 07:45 AM
will grab a sensor today and try it although all reads good on my digi dash. Forgot to mention that once it is started when i touch the throttle it chokes itself out like it was a carb engine untill its warmed up enough then its will run ok but seems down on power to. Dont think its overfuelling as it happened all of a sudden with no warning.

tommy8252
10-11-10, 12:53 PM
sussed it i wired the temp sensor for the digi dash wrong and it confused the ecu into thinking it was hot when cold and overfuelled it. Now gotta figure how to wire the gauge in properly

Damo
10-11-10, 03:26 PM
Its the blue wire that went to the original clock plug mate.

tommy8252
10-11-10, 05:22 PM
yeah i wired that into the brown/white from the temp sensor so gotta figure which wire to actually join it to

Damo
10-11-10, 07:39 PM
yeah i wired that into the brown/white from the temp sensor so gotta figure which wire to actually join it to

The temp sensor wire will be the same colour it'll have a spade connection on the engine end of it.

tommy8252
10-11-10, 07:44 PM
yeah the old sensor was a spade connector on the inlet manifold but cannot for the life of me find the same type or similar on the e16se. any ideas where it is this is why I just tapped in to the temp sensor wire.

Damo
10-11-10, 07:50 PM
yeah the old sensor was a spade connector on the inlet manifold but cannot for the life of me find the same type or similar on the e16se. any ideas where it is this is why I just tapped in to the temp sensor wire.

Have you checked down the back of the inlet manifold mate near the gearbox side somethings telling me its down there on the e16 ive rebuilt one of these too and i carnt even remember lol.

Damo
10-11-10, 07:51 PM
Retape the CTS back up too lol should help the running side of things.

tommy8252
10-11-10, 09:25 PM
i chocolate blocked it back up will check that in the mornin i know at the back of the block at the alternator end there is the oil pressure switch and a little further toward the middle of the block there is another sensor with 2 wires. On my engine they have been bullet connected in the past but i wasnt told what to.

Damo
11-11-10, 12:18 PM
Like i said im sure that on the e16 its at the side of the inlet next to the gearbox lol.

tommy8252
11-11-10, 08:45 PM
got it and i truly am an idiot. No idea why i didnt notice that. Cheers for your help damen rep coming your way

Damo
11-11-10, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the rep mate.;)

Glad i could help.