PDA

View Full Version : carbs on a e16se

bally2010
31-10-10, 12:15 AM
what would be needed to put carbs on to my nova gte engine e16se ,i dont no anything about whats needed i just no i want some ,so any help would be great so i can start looking to buy parts or full kit ??

wwmnw
31-10-10, 12:22 AM
You would need a manifold, looking at about £200-300 depending on how lucky you are, cant remember what ignition setup you need or if you use the e16 one, apart from that lots of money, Gareth_C on here used £15 worth of petrol in about 10 miles, pootling along as you do http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/lostboy_014/shocked-1.gif

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 12:24 AM
manifolds are £160 brand new with fitting kit

wwmnw
31-10-10, 12:26 AM
manifolds are £160 brand new with fitting kit

I stand corrected.

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 12:34 AM
pretty sure you use a 1400 SR coil and dizzy too, or use Megajolt or similar mappable ignition for best results

wwmnw
31-10-10, 12:36 AM
I was thinking megajolt too, but my mind is hazy after a long shift at work.

Gareth_C
31-10-10, 12:45 AM
I think iirc I used webber twin 40's on a manifold from total vaux's ad pages ( think it was auto line design something like that) was bout £140 and I used a cavvy ecu running gear which runs the ignition system only but inc a rev limiter. I still have said running gear and loom, if you persue further :thumb:

as for the fuel wwmnw that was on full throttle for about 10 miles :eek:

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 12:49 AM
i would advise you to wait until you have done some research, no offence but if you do need to ask this question then you really don't know enough to fit them. Also twin carbs are usually considered a step backwards on an engine such as the E16SE which has a perfectly good injection system. You are losing a system which combines modest power output with decent economy and reliability for an old hat tuning mod that throws all the above out of the window. Twin carbs do work well in conjunction with other mods such a raise in compression ratio, lairy cam and headwork but on their own give a very small power increase. I would save towards ITBs if you really want carbs - I'm guessing for the noise lol, although if these are too expensive then look at bike throttle bodies with standalone management as a cheaper alternative

Gareth_C
31-10-10, 12:53 AM
i would advise you to wait until you have done some research, no offence but if you do need to ask this question then you really don't know enough to fit them. Also twin carbs are usually considered a step backwards on an engine such as the E16SE which has a perfectly good injection system. You are losing a system which combines modest power output with decent economy and reliability for an old hat tuning mod that throws all the above out of the window. Twin carbs do work well in conjunction with other mods such a raise in compression ratio, lairy cam and headwork but on their own give a very small power increase. I would save towards ITBs if you really want carbs - I'm guessing for the noise lol, although if these are too expensive then look at bike throttle bodies with standalone management as a cheaper alternative

Its a fair point, i was using the gsi engine with a blydenstein head, twin 40's ashley 4 to 1 manifold and straight through exhaust. I ended up with 127bhp (flywheel) and 168ft lb torque so its a toss up between ecomy and noise really

bally2010
31-10-10, 12:56 AM
ive been told my engine could be cammed no proof tho i have a nice roaring noise from induction , ive got a 4-1 and decat running on a 1.4 sport gearbox f13 iirc just want that bit extra power , waslooking into turbo mods but been told its a lot of hassle and money

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 01:03 AM
don't bother with a turbo unless its a C20LET, IMO there just isn't the parts and info available to ever make it a worthwhile conversion unless you really know your stuff. Have you considered an engine swap?

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 01:04 AM
double post

bally2010
31-10-10, 01:08 AM
dont fancy doing a #nother swap lol plus cant beat the reliablilty of the 8v engines 16v are wa nk in imo and not really got the money to shell out for another engine etc its like £600 for a good engine and gear

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 01:13 AM
aye lol keep the E16SE in my opinion, check the cam number to see if its been upgraded for a start. The only problem with the injection 8v engines is there is very little power to be gained without spending quite a lot of money as obviously the stock ECU restricts modifications

bally2010
31-10-10, 01:16 AM
would a 1.4 sport gearbox be any diffrent to a e16se gearbox like ratio wise say 5th gear for instance ?? been told could be diffrent ratios

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 01:22 AM
changing gearbox can make a big difference but this is something you will have to research and obviously your driving style/car use will determine. All F13s have 1-4 in a cluster and 5th gear is separate so there isnt much that can be swapped apart from choosing a close or wide ratio gearbox. There are also various final drives available, up to a 4.53 which is geared specifically for acceleration so its really a case of deciding what you want from the car. Just bear in mind that gearboxes and some internals especially hold their price very well due to the high demand from grasstrack lads for certain ratio gears.

wwmnw
31-10-10, 01:24 AM
Its a fair point, i was using the gsi engine with a blydenstein head, twin 40's ashley 4 to 1 manifold and straight through exhaust. I ended up with 127bhp (flywheel) and 168ft lb torque so its a toss up between ecomy and noise really

And that think was ****ing quick, for a 1.6 8v. Noise was awesome too, not sure what I liked the sound of more, carbs or throttle bodies.

bally2010
31-10-10, 01:25 AM
yes i understand that im using a 1.4 16v gearbox off the x14xe engine i was just wondering what that would be like say f13cr as for 5th gear mine is very close ratio but all my other gears are very long

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 01:27 AM
I would invest in an F13CR then play about with your final drives as I believe its a 3.94 as standard

bally2010
31-10-10, 01:29 AM
you no of anyone on here selling a f13cr as i think im using the rong gearbox , as i have been told the final drive on a 16v box is difrent to a 8v

bally2010
31-10-10, 01:30 AM
i actually binned onewhen i bought the enginei binned the box with nova gsi shafts :(

mk1nova_rich
31-10-10, 01:32 AM
put an advert up in the Wanted section pal

bally2010
31-10-10, 01:33 AM
thankyou pal great help :)