PDA

View Full Version : Generators

Bubba
30-10-10, 03:08 PM
lookin @ this one on ebay, ive no clue about them, would this run a grinder/welder + lighting (not all at once) alright?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110534111809&actionType=singinformore

mowgli
30-10-10, 03:25 PM
i speak from experience, these are 4'king awful things.. they have a dodgy chinese knock off of the early seventies honda engine..... we ended up with one as part payment for a job & were conned, it fell apart regularly, and the circuit board ended up burning out....

please get one with a later genuine honda gx160 or bigger engine, even if it is used. you need at least 3kw if you plan to run a 9" grinder, but a 4 1/2" will run on a 2.5kw fine. if you are migging, then it should be ok too.
the honda gx engines will truly run forever, with an annual spark plug & oil swap, and if it won't start, it is low on oil.... i can't praise them higher for the money.

gazz
30-10-10, 04:20 PM
i'd go with what mowgli just said. it does say in the egay desciption that its only a back up genny.
gx160 are good engines as also used in karting aswel as the generaters.

Angus Closier
31-10-10, 12:28 PM
i speak from experience, these are 4'king awful things.. they have a dodgy chinese knock off of the early seventies honda engine..... we ended up with one as part payment for a job & were conned, it fell apart regularly, and the circuit board ended up burning out....

please get one with a later genuine honda gx160 or bigger engine, even if it is used. you need at least 3kw if you plan to run a 9" grinder, but a 4 1/2" will run on a 2.5kw fine. if you are migging, then it should be ok too.
the honda gx engines will truly run forever, with an annual spark plug & oil swap, and if it won't start, it is low on oil.... i can't praise them higher for the money.

Agreed with this, We have one with a honda engine and its amazing. It lives out on the farm and never fails to start! For somthing that lives outside for the last 4years has to be ok.

Alex J
31-10-10, 12:42 PM
if your on a budget, i brought one of these 2.8kva, runs my pressure washer, or my wet vac, or lighting, and it fires up everyday,also comes with a years warrenty, no problems, has a big fuel tank, and is a good all round generator , im a mobile valeter, and it dose me proud;) .. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-fg3000-petrol-powered-generator/path/petrol-driven-frame-mounted-site-generators

mowgli
31-10-10, 12:49 PM
mr maris, it is the same shonky one as bubba found, but for £100 more...

Alex J
31-10-10, 12:51 PM
mr maris, it is the same shonky one as bubba found, but for £100 more...ok

Bubba
31-10-10, 01:10 PM
ive spent the money now on carbs lol

Alex J
31-10-10, 01:13 PM
so your not getting one nowlol ?? thread of the year, +rep

Bubba
31-10-10, 01:28 PM
no i still need one. but they were just too tempting not too buy :p