PDA

View Full Version : bonnet release

mmollart
27-05-03, 06:46 PM
my bonnet release cable has snapped! any body tell me how to get it open without causing any damage to the bodywork?

Nova-Boy
27-05-03, 07:01 PM
:o :? With great difficulty! Sorry but i dont know for sure.

Perhaps by jacking it up and getting under the car somehow??

ade
27-05-03, 09:55 PM
its a pig - the bonnet release cable pulls a bar back which ungrips the bonnet rod bit (so technical!)

thats concealed within the front slam panel. You'll need to somehow get under the car and somehow get between the rad and the panel to jimmy it open.

I'd take it to a mechanic or vaux garage - they'll have some way of getting in. That way if the damage the car you can sue them!

:D

NOVAS RULE
27-05-03, 10:40 PM
yeah go to a garage andif they fuck it tell them you want it reparied

mikeoxford
27-05-03, 11:17 PM
aragorn was getting into his bonnet using a bar through his grille at one point.......

ade
28-05-03, 12:26 PM
wasnt that on his dads transit van though?

if the gap at the front of the car is big enough between the grill and the bonnet, you might be able to fashion a metal bar with a bend in it to jam between the boot release and clip - only a theory so dunno if it will work.

Ade

mmollart
28-05-03, 12:40 PM
thanks for the help guys, ive had a go at it but cant get my hand in far enough between the rad & slam panel, so i think il take it to the garage & get them to do it for me :roll:

Dicko
28-05-03, 04:05 PM
sory mark i have no idea on this 1 but ill have a look when i get home,

my handle is broke so i need to get a new 1 aswell

Aragorn
28-05-03, 07:40 PM
uve got 2 options - try and go thru the grille and u snap the grille

or.. what i did was got a long steel bar, inserted it into the right center louver on the front of the mk2 bumper (infront of the rad) and prised the spring open by levering against the bonnet pin and the spring - if u ly on the floor and look thru those louvers u'll see the mechanism - and forget about using your finger - u'll never move it with that

got quite good at it too - till some fuck reversed into it and cracked the bumper and bend the carridge bar :@

mmollart
28-05-03, 09:01 PM
i think i might have another go at it before i take it a garage, may try taking the front bumper off this time to make it abit easier, dont really want to break the grill as its just more cost & the car will be up for sale soon.
thanks again for the help