PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Guage Problem

josh-sri
28-10-10, 04:01 PM
Hi all, I'm having a problem in my nova sri. The car is fitted with a digi dash, basically the temperature guage goes mental when im driving. It keeps going up and down and clicking at me? The light is on at the end of the guage to say its overheating also. Im guessing a sender or something has gone but i was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction please??

Its got good levels of oil and coolant alsolol

thanks alot

pikey1986
28-10-10, 07:59 PM
step 1 = remove dash
step 2 = fit a standard one

or

thermostat could be stuck shut or water pump could be shot

josh-sri
29-10-10, 01:28 PM
lol I was hoping to keep the digi dash to be honest. I'll check them both then this weekend, thanks for the reply:thumb:

tommy8252
29-10-10, 06:19 PM
I had this problem once turned out the spade connection on top of the sensor had come loose and wasnt making a good connection

MK999
29-10-10, 08:18 PM
check the water level? Could be overheating on low water and splashing at the sensor every now and then.

AlexW
29-10-10, 08:34 PM
I had this problem once turned out the spade connection on top of the sensor had come loose and wasnt making a good connection

This or a broken wire. Worth giving the sensor a bit of a sand to get the connection 100%.

Providing its the only problem, a broken thermostat/water pump wouldnt cause it, and the sensor isnt sensitive enough to pick up water spashes lol

MK999
29-10-10, 08:35 PM
and the sensor isnt sensitive enough to pick up water spashes lol

This would definitely explain why mine was bouncing up and down when the headgasket nom'd all my water then

AlexW
29-10-10, 08:37 PM
The sensor has to be surrounded by hot coolant for a few secs before it will change the reading on the gauge, and by what the guy says it isnt a slow up down.

If it is a slow up/down, id change the sensor....

josh-sri
30-10-10, 08:57 AM
Its definately jumping up and down erractically(sp) Thanks for the replies, i'll double check all parts mentioned and hopefully should cure it:thumb: