PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU solder?

L14MNP
26-10-10, 06:39 PM
Following on from a discussion with Iain Elderkin of this very forum he has asked me to put the question to the masses.

Poverty blue font scum etc so i can't add a poll - Someone else please do. :)

I argue that he should have tinned both wires up and soldered them together parallel.

I can't recall what he has done, twisted the strands of the two wires together and then just blobbed a snot of solder on I do believe.

I tried to show him the error of his ways, but the damn internet is full of r-tards and the 'sodder' videos/guides don't agree with tinning up either. I found maybe two things that confrimed the way I was shown (and have used to great effect) was the best way.
I don't doubt Iains way will work, I used to do that kind of bodge n scarper trick too. lol But is it the 'right' way?

I know you can get dry joints and crimps are best for automotive use etc etc but just for the purpose of this, what do people (who can actually solder and understand the process) do?

MK999
26-10-10, 06:46 PM
Flatten out the strands, pull into 2 halves so it's a sort of fanned Y shape, twist together so that each wire is twisted into each other twice, twist that together, dip in non active flux, and heat it up plenty before dabbing with solder so it flows round nicely and all the way into the insulation layer of the wire so it's not stressed as much at the joint.

Balley
26-10-10, 06:48 PM
I would tin the 2 wire then heat and apply solder...

Job done

Hobbit
26-10-10, 06:52 PM
Last time I tried to solder I melted through the power cable to the Iron and got banned from soldering ever again :(

L14MNP
26-10-10, 06:55 PM
lol Hobbit!

balley ftw! lol

MK, you pikey :P

Iain
26-10-10, 06:56 PM
I can't recall what he has done, twisted the strands of the two wires together and then just blobbed a snot of solder on I do believe.

You chump lol Lie them side by side, twist them together, and solder the joint (heat up wire and feed it in to the wire). Makes perfect sense!

Lewis.
26-10-10, 06:57 PM

L14MNP
26-10-10, 07:07 PM
Changed your mind now? lol

Paul
26-10-10, 07:09 PM
Tin both wires, then place one on top of each other, then heat up with soldering iron, once that has been slightly tinned up too.

Then heat shrink joint, then heatshrink over the top of the other heatshirnk.

L14MNP
26-10-10, 07:12 PM
Forgot about heatshrink. Paul knows the score too. lol

Your sig is possibly wrong this time though mate!

Paul
26-10-10, 07:14 PM
Forgot about heatshrink. Paul knows the score too. lol

Your sig is possibly wrong this time though mate!

Never, my sig speaks no lies!

MK999
26-10-10, 07:17 PM
Never, my sig speaks no lies!

This is true.

****, is that a black hole?!

mowgli
26-10-10, 07:17 PM
expects somebody to pile in with scotchloks:thumb:

but i personally expose a lot of cable, slide a bit of heatshrink on, then lay one wire over the other, then twist them tightly together, then solder them, & snip the loose ends off. then i heatshrink it.

it is force of habit because thats how my electronics/technology teacher showed us at school.

Bubba
26-10-10, 07:48 PM
twist and leccy tape lol i refuse to touch wiring...

and i had to rep hobbit for making me almost choke on my tea...

John
26-10-10, 07:50 PM
I'm with you limpy and Paul!

Jack
26-10-10, 08:29 PM
I do things the same way as Paul.

As Mowglers said though, thats just how I was taught, so its how I do it. I would guess that twisting the wires together then soldering on top and heatshrink over the top to protect it would possibly give a better connection - less resistance and all that - but tbh in all the applications I solder, thats not really an issue.

Stuart
26-10-10, 08:36 PM
Crimp it :)

Pistol Pete
26-10-10, 08:54 PM
I would tin the 2 wire then heat and apply solder...

Job done

This. But i do crimp aswell.

bazil
26-10-10, 09:47 PM
In one of my previous jobs the MECHANIC used to twist the wires together then blob silicon or tigerseal over it all and then stick it all to the nearest solid area!!

Funny how 3 trucks got burned out?

mowgli
26-10-10, 09:50 PM
/\ jesus!!!!!!!!!!

my uncle once spliced 2 3phase flex's together to move a bale elevator by twisting the wires & wrapping them in sellotape..... big bang, big flame.....

bazil
26-10-10, 09:54 PM
Yup pikey ain't righty in my book, I don't solder, I crimp with decent quality crimps and proper rachet type pliers.

Sloth
27-10-10, 12:29 PM
chocbloc. :d

blowtorch, warm the wire up so the solder gets well melted and into it. dependant on where im soldering depends on twist or tin.

Lewis.
27-10-10, 12:36 PM
Changed your mind now? lol

i spent so long replying that 5 other people had replied, and what i wrote then looked daft lol slow interwebs ftl :(

MattBrown
27-10-10, 12:43 PM
I was tought to tin both pieces of wire, then lightly tin the iron.

Then lay on on top of the other, like "=" then heat them both up, and press together.

Always worked for me, and never lost a joint that I know of.

Rexy
27-10-10, 12:52 PM
You lot are all gayers and doing it all wrong, marky moo has these awesome little sleeves with solder in the middle its about 2" long.

Bang the wires in one at each end, grab a heat gun and bang the solder melts in the middle and the wrap shrinks takes around 30 seconds :D
I love these little things. :P

AlexW
27-10-10, 12:54 PM
Twist and then solder, heating the wire up so the solder gets into it all and makes a decent joint.

Ive found with the like parallel soldering, it can be ripped out, where as twisting takes a bit more effort.

Sloth
27-10-10, 02:42 PM
matt, link to site that sells em?

L14MNP
27-10-10, 02:48 PM
Rob, I think you mean Rexy?

I guess he can't solder either if he needs those gayass solder filled sleeves. lol

Sloth
27-10-10, 02:55 PM
whoops, yes sorry mr rex, yours and humbrols post blurred into one.....

meh, who needs wires, diesel ftw.

awaits random wtf comments

L14MNP
27-10-10, 02:57 PM
On the subject of soldering, I have always intended to buy one of those magic fingers things I think it's called. As we know, three hands are usually needed and a vice or similar isn't always accessible. lol

mowgli
27-10-10, 03:00 PM
which is why twisting them together is a handy way of only needing 2 hands....

L14MNP
27-10-10, 03:02 PM
That's true, but having used msot soldering methods over the years I have to say that tinning is for me the way of gaining a superior joint.

Each to their own, but I know I have made things with many many joints and they have never failed on me (or anyone else). Lenghtened/rerouted complex wiring looms spring to mind.

As long as there's no stress on the joints then I guess any method will work. I just consider the tinned method a lot more hard wearing.

Rexy
27-10-10, 06:28 PM
lol nah i can't solder for ****.

And i have no idea where they are from, marky moo uses them at work. *eastham*

Mazz
27-10-10, 06:37 PM
Flux the 2 wires, tin, place parallel, join & heat shrink...gotta be the way...crimping is for gays!

phazer
27-10-10, 07:00 PM
crimping is for gays!

Except for sparky's doing certain work to regs. A good crimped joint (the proper ones done with the right tool) will outlast a soldered joint and no problems of dry joints.

Right joint for the right job :thumb: