PDA

View Full Version : 336mm brakes and speedlines.

MattBrown
24-10-10, 11:21 PM
Basically, I had a set of speedlines dropped off today, as my show wheel for the nova.

Long story short, but a mate had some HI Spec brake caliper spacers, 26mm ones, to enable 256calipers and hangers, work with 308mm disks

So, I threw my 284's behind the speedlines, with a 18mm gap, so, with 8mm shaved off the calipers they will fit, and run 336mm disks.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/MattBrown9600/6f370a88.jpg

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/MattBrown9600/c34bfb8d.jpg

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/MattBrown9600/149855f9.jpg

The other option is 4 pots....lol

MattBrown
24-10-10, 11:33 PM
Didnt really explain the question lol

Will taking 8mm off do any serious damage?

Has anyone taken 8mm off a caliper before?

Edd
25-10-10, 08:27 AM
Wouldn't do it IMO

WTF do you need 325mm discs anyway ? lol

Jack
25-10-10, 08:38 AM
1-2mm is bad enough, but 8mm is way too much IMO. You're talking about taking almost a centimetre off the caliper!

Would that setup even provide much greater braking efficiency anyway? As you still have the same contact area - you're using the 256 caliper and pad - so the amount of friction would be the same, so the amount of heat would be the same... or would the disc take on more heat due to it being larger?

gazz
25-10-10, 09:45 AM
tbh that is too much to be taken off.
As jack has said 1-2mm is alot.
Not worth the hassle i'd say.:thumb:

Stuart
25-10-10, 10:14 AM
Would that setup even provide much greater braking efficiency anyway? As you still have the same contact area - you're using the 256 caliper and pad - so the amount of friction would be the same, so the amount of heat would be the same... or would the disc take on more heat due to it being larger?

large chunk of incorrectness there im affraid Captain Jack.

The size of the brake pad is purely for its wear rate... eg a massive pad will wear slower than a tiny pad yet given the same compound and pressure point will stop the same (all to do with heat management)

The distance from the centre of the hub to the pressure point of the pad is what you change to increase/decrease brake effectiveness..... but in the grand scheme of things, once you get beyond 288mm discs on a light car like a nova/corsa/vx220/elise you dont gain anything really.

I'd say its not worth it to try and run brakes like that as the tyres will NEVER be of the caliber to make full use and you will spend more time locked up than actually slowing down.

Have a read of the braking article ;)

MattBrown
25-10-10, 12:40 PM
Ok, so what ill do is leave the 284turbo ones on, and go for some drilled and slit disks, with mintex pads.

Stuart
25-10-10, 12:48 PM
NO NO NO NO NO FFs

drilled and grooved does shag all but weaken the discs... plain pikey discs and great pads = win!

Its what the vx/elise lot do, use cheap ass discs and spend big on the pads to get fantastic stopping... expensive discs and expensive pads = no better/occasionally worse

Jack
25-10-10, 12:56 PM
The size of the brake pad is purely for its wear rate... eg a massive pad will wear slower than a tiny pad yet given the same compound and pressure point will stop the same (all to do with heat management)

The distance from the centre of the hub to the pressure point of the pad is what you change to increase/decrease brake effectiveness.....
Need moar explain plz lol

Couldn't find the braking article :(

this

or would the disc take on more heat due to it being larger?
was kinda what I was getting at with the heat management thing - larger probably wasn't the best word to use lol

Stuart
25-10-10, 01:30 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111295

In short Friction Force (braking) = Mass(pedal pressure) * coeff of Friction
Nothing to do with the area of the friction.
EG you could have a brake pad the size of Cornwall and a pad the size of a pin head, with the same point of force from the centre of a turning disc, they would stop at the same rates etc Just you'd barely nudge the huge pads surface and the pin sized one will have worn masses away.

mowgli
25-10-10, 06:34 PM
i've often wondered about the pad area in relation to the whole caliper piston area:m/cylinder setup. but i'm sure it is a massively complex subject & would make a hell of a motorsport degree final year project....

i think there is a lot of 'overbraking' on small cars though.

Adam
25-10-10, 07:13 PM
Need moar explain plz lol

Couldn't find the braking article :(

this

was kinda what I was getting at with the heat management thing - larger probably wasn't the best word to use lol

I think in simple terms, bigger leverage effect is created with larger discs. Which is what improves braking force.

And i repeat the question, wtf do you need 336mm brakes for lol
284/288 are plenty, i find when heavily braking in mine that the it makes the rear end scarily light (Even more so than normal in a stiff rear springed stripped nova lol) Feels almost like the rear wheels are about to leave the tarmac.
I run Turbo calipers and 284s btw.

General Baxter
25-10-10, 07:26 PM
becasue matts going to run 9million bhp lol

Stuart
26-10-10, 09:10 AM
i've often wondered about the pad area in relation to the whole caliper piston area:m/cylinder setup. but i'm sure it is a massively complex subject & would make a hell of a motorsport degree final year project....

i think there is a lot of 'overbraking' on small cars though.

velly true! lots of oberbraking goes on and also most dont realise that 90% of the actual braking effectiveness comes from the tyres.

Piston 'area' vs pad area is a bit of a moot point from what I've looked at... its more the centre of pressure vs pad size that will be the factors in wear and braking effectiveness.

MattBrown
26-10-10, 10:20 AM
I wanted them for looks, but looks don't make you faster lol

So, Stuart, Solid disks, and good pads?

Or just use standard pads for a couple, then bin and get new?

Stuart
26-10-10, 10:25 AM
not solid discs you chimp, PLAIN vented.

I'd say new decent pads as when you bed them in you are only putting the transfer layer of the new pad on rather than trying to scrub off the old crappy stuff.

Sloth
26-10-10, 11:19 AM
Alfa 146/7/fiat Coupe/bravo20v/maraea 20v 288mm 4stud, Ebc Yellowstuff Pads, And A Larger M/c With The Correct Bias Blocks. Oh And Some Decent Yoko Rubber (i Perfer A539's But Its Upto You.) Job Done. My Mate Ran This On An Xe Corsa And It Could Stand On Its Nose.....

Stuart
26-10-10, 11:20 AM
yellows are about the only useable pads from EBC, and even then they arent the best :(

Paul
26-10-10, 11:33 AM
I reckon my fingers have better brake pad qualities than EBC pads.

And Yoko A539 havent been made since 2007 maybe 2008...

Sloth
26-10-10, 11:33 AM
mmhm, he faded his after a few track days. decent fluid helped. als braideds are a good idea. i prefer mintex 3466f compounds and cheap ass 256mm disks.

Sloth
26-10-10, 11:34 AM
paul my local yoko guy still has em in stock.... for road use, ebc pads theyd be fine surely?

Paul
26-10-10, 11:48 AM
Must be just that Rob, stock. Were replaced with the S-Drive.

EBC are awful IME, had two sets both were terrible.

Jack
26-10-10, 11:52 AM
No problems with EBC yellows here on the Celica, thats only on road use though. But they're more than happy to stop that elephant lol

Sloth
26-10-10, 01:14 PM
jack, is she called nelly?

paul, still a cracking road tyre. my 106 handled far better on them even in the rain.

Stuart
26-10-10, 01:45 PM
EBC"s like big heavy cars to get heat in asap.

fluid has feck all to with fade ime

Sloth
26-10-10, 02:26 PM
thats some good spam.....

o.t why no 888 4 pots? your flush....

MattBrown
26-10-10, 04:32 PM
Alfa 146/7/fiat Coupe/bravo20v/maraea 20v 288mm 4stud, Ebc Yellowstuff Pads, And A Larger M/c With The Correct Bias Blocks. Oh And Some Decent Yoko Rubber (i Perfer A539's But Its Upto You.) Job Done. My Mate Ran This On An Xe Corsa And It Could Stand On Its Nose.....

:thumb:

Cheers rob, I have grooved fiat 284mm disks sat here, with standard brand new pads.

Also got Yokohama somethings lol

Soft and sticky, but road legal:thumb:

MattBrown
26-10-10, 04:34 PM
thats some good spam.....

o.t why no 888 4 pots? your flush....

When I eventually get 4 pots, it will be AP ones:thumb:

These will tide me over for my first 5ish track days, as Im going to listen to Dan, and take my time, get used to the car etc:thumb: