PDA

View Full Version : air fuel ratio guage

mikeoxford
26-05-03, 10:35 PM
where do they connect?

Stuart
27-05-03, 04:03 PM
they go in the exhuast, where the lambda sensor would be unless youve got a lmabda sensor, in which case you need to get a hole drilled in and a nut welded on to fit the sensor

mikeoxford
27-05-03, 11:36 PM
is it worth me drillin the exhaust etc and me fitting one? i want an extra guage cos i want a 2pod on my a pillar - but want some useful / good guages that give a good reading than a cr@p on or off - they any good?

Stuart
28-05-03, 12:09 AM
they are ok for what you pay, but its not really a "pod" mount device, the lumention one is a rectangular unit thats a little slimmer than the hazzard swicth (guesstimate)

and the other big ones are large rectangular pannels.

your call at the end of the day

mikeoxford
28-05-03, 12:13 AM
they are ok for what you pay, but its not really a "pod" mount device, the lumention one is a rectangular unit thats a little slimmer than the hazzard swicth (guesstimate)

and the other big ones are large rectangular pannels.

your call at the end of the day

ive found one thats in a guage like you would fit in a pod

i dont know how to put it but.......

are they a good guage? what i mean is will it flutter about up and down and whatever or will it give a good reading? and be useful?

Stuart
28-05-03, 12:37 AM
erm the guage will proably be fine. jsut you may need a linear lambda sensor (UEGO) to get a proper reading. otherwise it will swtich around from a regular "on/off" type

mikeoxford
28-05-03, 12:49 AM
lol i dont know what to do then :S

trying to figure where i could tap off an oil temperature guage!

im fitting an oil coller i think so i may tap off the feed pipe for that

before someone says its a waste of money, i already have "acquired" a nova oil cooler and all the parts to fit it, so i may as well for looks rather than anything else.

simon@novaheaven
28-05-03, 09:25 AM
there are some nice cheap fuel ratio meters on migweb for sale, there a small circuit board with red green and yellow leds. three wires to connect it up.

NovaNeil
29-05-03, 12:49 PM
I've got an Autometer Air/Fuel Ratio gauge which I got from Regal for about ?70. It has three wires with it. 1 that goes to the ignition switch (to turn it on) and the other two go to the Lamba Sensor. I got the lamba sensor of Regal again for ?90 (Which is the same as the one found on the 2.0 Turbo engine). All you'd need is any 1 volt lamba sensor found on many engines such as the XE. I got the Turbo one as im using it on my 1.6 Turbo (The only difference is thatit can withstand higher temperatures)
I then had to pay Regal another ?20 for the boss to weld into the exhaust that the Sensor screws into.

Its Not really worth doing unless a) You have a Turbo or b) Your engine is highly modified and has increased compression etc......

The gauge itself has 14 LEDs in it which light up according to your mixture. It flutuates a lot when cold but once warmed up it either shows Green (Rich) under accleration or Red (Lean) when you back off the gas.

hope this helps?

Stuart
29-05-03, 07:34 PM
?20 for a nut??? WTF

oh and under instant acceleration it will be lean hwile the fuelling cathes up.

rapid decelearation will read rich too ;)

then it will go as you said

mikeoxford
30-05-03, 12:44 AM
blimey

sounds expensive..........

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 12:19 AM
can anyone recommend me a lamda sensor then? and ill get my uncle to do the weldiong and drilling on my manfiold.......

i want a guage like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2417565846&category=33674

so what lamda sensor do i need anyone?

NovaNeil
01-06-03, 07:56 PM
Any one volt lamba sensor, off any make/model of car will do the trick. The newer it is the more acurate it will be (in theory). If your on a budget, go down your local scrap yard and unscrew one off the first car you see with one fitted. Bingo
Or you could just buy one of Vauxhall/Regal/Courtenay etc. for about ?60-?90.

mikeoxford
01-06-03, 08:00 PM
Any one volt lamba sensor, off any make/model of car will do the trick. The newer it is the more acurate it will be (in theory). If your on a budget, go down your local scrap yard and unscrew one off the first car you see with one fitted. Bingo
Or you could just buy one of Vauxhall/Regal/Courtenay etc. for about ?60-?90.

how will i know if the lamda sensor is one volt or not before i take it off?

or will any vuaxhall car use the same one?

NovaNeil
02-06-03, 12:29 PM
To be honest im not sure how you tell the difference. But im pretty sure most cars are fitted with a one volt sensor. If you get one of a Turbo Car it will have a third wire attached to it. This is for an inbuilt heater that gets the sensor up to temperature quicker than the normal ones.

Im not an expert on the topic, im only repeating what I was told by Lumination and Regal, when I was buying mine. Hope it helps, but if your really not sure, just ask Regal.

Aragorn
02-06-03, 08:46 PM
im sure nearly everycar has a narrow band lambda fitted (ie 1v)

the wide band sensors are fitted to one specific model of honda civic and thats about all ive heard

all the guages on the market are teh narrow band format so u shouldnt worry

Stuart
02-06-03, 09:20 PM
all of the new hondas (2000 on) have twin LAF (linear Air/Fuel) sensors (pre CAT and post CAT) to comply with EOBD2 system.

and asfar as im aware any vehicle that complies with EOBD2 must have LAF sensors

mikeoxford
02-06-03, 10:44 PM
all of the new hondas (2000 on) have twin LAF (linear Air/Fuel) sensors (pre CAT and post CAT) to comply with EOBD2 system.

and asfar as im aware any vehicle that complies with EOBD2 must have LAF sensors

:o all i want is a pretty dial that lights up in the dark and also tells me how my t40s are tuned :lol: