PDA

View Full Version : Baby XE Idle - 5k!

AlexW
20-10-10, 10:45 PM
Right, just want a 1 millionth opinion on this.

Corsa Sport 1.6, Powerbox fitted. Start it and instantly the revs go to 5k when warm. When cold the car takes a couple of miles of driving before it revs to 5k.

Ruled out a leak between powerbox and lower inlet, and also between powerbox and TB, ICV is fine, TPS is fine too.

Plugged it into my tech 2 stuff, when it sits at 5k for about 10secs the ecu cuts the injectors until it returns to 1k before kicking them back in again, also can see the icv/tps working fine, hence me saying there OK. Map sensor is also fine.

All vaccums have been checked, inc the brake servo.

I did spray carb cleaner around the lower inlet thinking it was the lower inlet to head gasket, but cant get in there well enough to spray it well, that or if its broke from underneath of course.

But anyway, from what ive done im thinking lower inlet gasket, but i just cant get the spray in the right place. Unless anybody else has any other ideas?

Repz for help.

comptoncj
20-10-10, 10:51 PM
lower inlet gasket is my bet

AlanH
21-10-10, 12:20 PM
definitely an air leak of some sort. u tried a straw on the nozzle? like on wd40 tins? usually helps access to awkward areas

AlexW
30-10-10, 06:23 PM
Replaced Lower inlet gasket, changed the powerbox for a standard inlet and tried spraying wd40 everywhere.

Still idles at 5k.

Im convinced its not a sensor/ecu fault as we have tried two ecus on it, every sensor that i can look at on my laptop is fine, ICV is working (It is showing 0 when its idleing at 5k!), And it is running lean.

But i dont know where the **** it could be drawing air from.

Suggestions before i take the head off or fit a 1.8?

mowgli
30-10-10, 07:08 PM
what is the lambda doing? could it be conning the ecu into thinking it is running really lean.. especially if you have tried 2 ecu's it has got to be a component on the rest of the loom.

AlexW
30-10-10, 07:13 PM
The plugs are coming out white, TBF i didnt check the lambda when i had it plugged in, The ecu actually cuts the injectors after its sat at 5k for 5secs, then kicks them back in at 1k rpm before it shoots back up to 5k again lol

Most sensors come back as working (ICV, TPS, CTS, Map sensor).

But im preety convinced its a mechanical problem, but unless the lower inlet is cracked, or the head is cracked somehow, i dont get it.

mowgli
30-10-10, 07:30 PM
if it was mechanical, it would blow up at 5k. and wouldn't run very well.

now a crappy feed voltage to something like a dispak would cause all sorts of problems, the engine has a crank sensor, so that must be reading ok....

could it be the injectors themselves? is one leaking enough fuel in or the reg faulty??

a friend had an ecotec that had a faulty cat, and it threw all sorts of faults up.

AlexW
30-10-10, 07:36 PM
Its running lean though, Its not running rich/correctly. If it was, theres still something holding it at 5k lol

mowgli
30-10-10, 07:42 PM
have you swapped the tps?

AlexW
30-10-10, 07:53 PM
TPS is working fine, but two different ones have been fitted.

mowgli
30-10-10, 08:56 PM
sounds stoopid, but apart from the 5k idle, from cold, how well is it running??

i'm starting to think that is all the senders/sensors are ok, then there is a wiring fault..

AlexW
30-10-10, 09:35 PM
Il have to add to the explanation lol. From very very cold (It was actually a cold day too), the car will idle about 1/2k depends, but as soon as you rev it to lets say 6000rpm, it sticks at 5k or there abouts.

I did drive it from cold one day and it got about half a mile of using the full rev range before it stuck at high rpm, Other than it feeling a bit flat (I think its due to the powerbox and 4-1 manifold) it pulled well and was quick.

But in summary, it runs good, it pulls well, runs on four cylinders and isnt lumpy.

PS its not CTS eather, i checked that on the laptop and also put a new one in it.

AlexW
11-11-10, 07:25 PM
Any more ideas?

Having one more shot at it before we fit a 1.8.

Damo
11-11-10, 07:27 PM
Any more ideas?

Having one more shot at it before we fit a 1.8.

Is the TPS sticking alex?

AlexW
11-11-10, 07:28 PM
Nope, As ive said before, Changed it, and it is shown to be working fine on the laptop too.

Throttle isnt sticking eather.

Damo
11-11-10, 07:31 PM
Nope, As ive said before, Changed it, and it is shown to be working fine on the laptop too.

Throttle isnt sticking eather.

I defo sounds like something sticking as its as it gets warm but if everythings showing to be working fine im stumped :confused: .

AlexW
11-11-10, 07:44 PM
Same. I cant even see it being a air leak on the inlet as we sprayed carb cleaner and WD40 all around it with no change.

Mate took it to a garage, they basically gave up. Even everybody at my work cant figure it out. Tried everything we can think of.

Damo
11-11-10, 07:52 PM
Same. I cant even see it being a air leak on the inlet as we sprayed carb cleaner and WD40 all around it with no change.

Mate took it to a garage, they basically gave up. Even everybody at my work cant figure it out. Tried everything we can think of.

Bar rip it out then and stick an 1800 small block in it lol.

AlexW
11-11-10, 07:56 PM
I think that is what were going to do, Never done one before, Should be fun.

Sloth
11-11-10, 08:01 PM
there is a guide on cs for that iirc. alex, check the ecu to tps wiring, and have you tried an ecu?

Adam
11-11-10, 08:01 PM
Cant be sensor related, its getting enough air to run at 5k rpm.....
So you DO have an air leak somewhere.

Check all the vacuum hoses, tb gasket etc.

John
11-11-10, 08:03 PM
agreed. What's the fitment like powerbox to inlet.

AlexW
11-11-10, 08:05 PM
Its not the ECU, we did try another on it though. Wiring has all been checked (I did that before i had access to the laptop).

The powerbox was removed, std inlet fitted and it was exactly the same. All vaccum hoses have been checked, Every gasket has been changed too. I dont get why spraying it with everything hasnt effected it.

John
11-11-10, 08:07 PM
can you hear air leaking in when it's stuck at 5k?

AlexW
11-11-10, 08:07 PM
Not really, But its got a stupid massive exhaust on it, You can barly hear anything over that!

John
11-11-10, 08:09 PM
Not really, But its got a stupid massive exhaust on it, You can barly hear anything over that!

is the intake flap closed in the tb when at 5k?

AlexW
11-11-10, 08:09 PM
Yep, It has had two tb's on it too.

Adam
11-11-10, 08:18 PM
It cant be running at 5k rpm if it isnt getting enough air, so it has got an air leak.

AlexW
11-11-10, 08:19 PM
But where? lol

Adam
11-11-10, 08:22 PM
Well im sitting at the end of a laptop keyboard, so thats your job.... lol lol

Somewhere that carries air/seals is leaking, does that help? lol

Inlet gasket, cracked inlet, injectors not sealed to inlet.

John
11-11-10, 08:24 PM
Yep, It has had two tb's on it too.

So if they're both closed, air is leaking in.

John
11-11-10, 08:24 PM
ad beat me to it lol

AlexW
11-11-10, 08:35 PM
lol Injectors are ok, again got sprayed with loads of stuff. I checked the inlet for visual cracks when doing the lower inlet gasket, but nothing. I just dont get why spraying it all over hasnt bought it up.

John
11-11-10, 08:36 PM
lol Injectors are ok, again got sprayed with loads of stuff. I checked the inlet for visual cracks when doing the lower inlet gasket, but nothing. I just dont get why spraying it all over hasnt bought it up.

Because it's drawing that much air anyway.

AlexW
11-11-10, 08:41 PM
Well im confused as to how?

Sloth
11-11-10, 09:15 PM
fit bodies.

AlexW
11-11-10, 09:16 PM
I know its a occasional track car, but were not doing that.

Need to find a 1.8 engine and all the bits needed now.

Adam
11-11-10, 09:29 PM
Is the EGR still fitted? Has it been blanked?

AlexW
11-11-10, 09:52 PM
Still fitted. It has been removed, checked for leaks, new gasket and put back on.

AlexW
27-02-11, 09:43 PM
Just want to bump this, The car went into a garage, battery went flat, They put a new battery on it and..... It solved it.

Its been fine for a month now, Passed mot, Done countless miles.

Amazing lol