PDA

View Full Version : NI > Mainland UK Private Reg/DVLA Predicament! HELP!

Stoo
20-10-10, 04:24 PM
Right, so I bought my DC5 this weekend from Northern Ireland.
I am in the mainland UK, in Engalnd.

The car was origionally imported from Japan and registered at the Preston branch of DVLA and assigned a UK Mainland Reg (PA03 YJV)

It was then sold to someone in Northampton by all accounts, and then on to Stephen, the guy I bought it off, who then took it over to Northern Ireland.
While in his ownership, he bought the Private Plate R111TEG for the car and had it transferred on to it.

On the NI V5 (DVA), the car has the reg R111TEG assigned to it.
The MOT and Tax disc also have the reg R111TEG, so i assume this is all above board and legitimate.

Now, my problem is, I have now bought the car, and have returned it to the mainland UK.

I now wish to transfer the car in to my name, on to a UK mainland V5 (DVLA)
However, the DVLA have checked on their system and that plate (R111TEG) is void on the mainland. They can't tell me why until the microfische returns from Swansea, but they say I may lose the plate and have to return to the originally issued Reg. mark. I don't want this to happen, and obviously don't want to have to re-buy it!

I got stopped by the police in Scotland on the drive home from Stranraer and it didn't register on the ANPR, however they were happy with the NI V5 with the Reg/VIN on it.
What can I do?

What is the process associated with doing this?
Surely this isn't the first time this has ever happened.
Can anybody shed any light on this?

Any help would be massively appreciated!
Stoo

bmw156
20-10-10, 05:17 PM
you say it was NI and not just ireland. if so i cant see an issue.

do the DVLA excist in NI?

Stoo
20-10-10, 05:18 PM
The DVLA is the Mainland GB dept.

DVA is the NI dept.

Both seperate!

Jack
20-10-10, 06:06 PM
From what I gather on a google search, its possible to transfer but its a bit of a mess and you may end up paying retention to both the DVA and DVLA!

Its odd that the NI DVA have allocated a UK style registration though, I wouldn't have thought they'd have authority to do that?

[edit] I'm wondering if the guy you bought it off bought the reg from the DVA, who then requested it from the DVLA. Hence why the DVLA have it as void, as they've passed control of that registration to the DVA, effectively giving it away - does that make sense? If thats the case, I don't see a reason why they can't reverse the process.

Stoo
20-10-10, 06:14 PM
He bought it of a guy on the DC2 forum, privately.

Its a right mess eh!

Ben
20-10-10, 06:16 PM
I was also going to say if the guy you bought the car off bought it off newreg or similar then they would have passed it over to the DVA so therefore removed it from the dvla database, so as Jack said perhaps trying to contact the DVA and ask them to send control of the reg back to the DVLA.

Stoo
20-10-10, 06:20 PM
On the DVLA system, R111 TEG is coming back as void, so I can only imagine that is the case.

I'm gonna ring DVA tomorrow and see what i can do.

I WILL keep the reg!

Its pretty trick as far as reg's go :)
Sets the car off a treat!

And I've just bought a sticky front with it!! lol

bmw156
20-10-10, 06:20 PM
He bought it of a guy on the DC2 forum, privately.

Its a right mess eh!

was the guy he bought the reg off in the UK or NI. im guessing UK from the reg.

i think, the DVLA would of sold the plate to UK joe bloggs. he sells it to matey in ireland, who registers it with DVA (it then disappears of the the DVLA database) then you try to bring it back to the DVLA and they know nothing of it so to speak.

the only way i think you can do it, is like jack mentions. put it on retention to DVA and then get it put onto the DVLA again, and then take it off rentention with the DVLA.

Ben
20-10-10, 06:21 PM
What is the signifcance of the reg?

bmw156
20-10-10, 06:22 PM
im guessing its something like

I N TEG
to go with integra?

Stoo
20-10-10, 06:23 PM
InTEGra Type R

R111TEG

Yeah he bought the Reg off a guy in the UK.
I just think the DVLA have removed it from their system because it is now in NI

Ben
20-10-10, 06:27 PM
TBH IMHO i think its a pisspoor reg number and would rather have an age related one.

Alex J
20-10-10, 08:02 PM
InTEGra Type R

R111TEG

Yeah he bought the Reg off a guy in the UK.
I just think the DVLA have removed it from their system because it is now in NIgive you £150 for the car and reg?

draper
20-10-10, 08:37 PM
give you £150 for the car and reg?

you star !!

lol

edit -

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to alex_maris again.

Daved and Confused
20-10-10, 09:19 PM
To be honest I cannot give you much advice other than another story along the same lines. It just confrims that this process can be a right pain in the ****.
Here's my story :-
Bought a car in NI with a private plate on it. The guy said it would not be part of the sale and that he would send the paperwork away and a new reg doc would be sent to me with a new reg on it.
Got the car, done all the checks etc checked all the docs all was fine.
I put the vehicle onto an existing policy and told my insurance company what the story was with the reg, they were ok with that - I just had to inform them of the new reg when it came through.
They issued a temporary cover note.
So I waited and I waited then got a call from the garage the guy I bought the car off was dealing with regarding his new car. They told me that the reg would need to be transferred by me at my end.
So a few days later I receive the V5C and MOT Disc off the car I bought plus the V5C of the guys new car, MOT and his Insurance Certificate. I also get the paperwork which they had filled in and sent to DVA in NI. The DVA had kindly stamped cancelled on the tax disc which had 4 months left to run.
By this time my temporary cover note had ran out - so another one was issued.
I jog off to my local DVLA office (Edinburgh) and try to sort this shiiite out.
I explain it all to the guy who to be honest was helpful. I had 2 issues, firstly I had only been given the disc part of the MOT - I didn't know that there was 2 parts to a NI MOT. Secondly with the time that had passed the tax had ran out on the guys new car ruling out a car to car transfer of the private reg. F**KING BRILLIANT.
So tried phoning the guy, yep can't get him - and still can't get the **** now 5 months later.
I called DVA in NI and spoke to another helpful person. She changed the vehicle ownership details to me over the phone!! and sorted out a replacement MOT (with 2 parts) for a tenner.
Of course by this time my insurance policy is 2 weeks from renewal, so have to go through all **** associated with quotes bla bla bla. Renew my insurance get my certificate through and off I trot to my local DVLA office.
Again no issue, most helpful. The guy who deals with imports was not there but they checked the import form and then issued a tax disc. By this time I was just f**king sick of it so decided that I wasn't putting the private reg on a retention certificate at my cost.
So I'm waiting on a V5 from Swansea now but the car is taxed and road legal. Until this bawbag from NI contacts me and sends me the money I'm keeping the reg although it's nothing fancy and meaningless to me. I've also got his V5, MOT and Insurance Certificate of his new car - a 2005 BMW X5 the way I see it is if he ain't bothered why should I be.

Sorry if I stole your thread mate but just thought I would add to the pitfalls that can be waiting when you buy a car from NI or I suppose the other way round.

Good luck. in keeping your reg.

Stoo
20-10-10, 09:34 PM
TBH IMHO i think its a pisspoor reg number and would rather have an age related one.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion of course.
But i'm sure you'll agree, R111TEG looks better than an age related plate on on Integra Type R

Maris, drop dead :) xx

Alex J
20-10-10, 09:35 PM
But i'm sure you'll agree, R111TEG looks better than an age related plate on on Integra Type R

Maris, drop dead :) xxi think its a good deallol

Stoo
20-10-10, 09:36 PM
Swap you for an axe

Alex J
20-10-10, 09:38 PM
Swap you for an axeif you cant get it sorted, drop it round and ill work my magic:p

Stoo
20-10-10, 09:38 PM
No worries.

Back OT now please

amggsi
20-10-10, 10:06 PM
Should be able to transfer the reg over OK, can't see any reason why you shouldn't. My old GSi Nova had a private plate on it when I bought it in England (K9 NJC) and I was able to transfer it OK.

I know when we are registering a car from the mainland, we have to fill in a V55/5 form, have you got an equivalent? (It's called first registration of a used car)

Stoo
20-10-10, 10:07 PM
I'm not after transferring the reg as such.

I just want to register the car in the mainland!

amggsi
20-10-10, 10:12 PM
I'm not after transferring the reg as such.

I just want to register the car in the mainland!

Sorry my post maybe wasn't the clearest!!

When we are "importing" a car from mainland UK, we have to fill in the V55/5 form along with the full V5C.

If you want to pm me your phone number I can alk you through it, typing it out makes it sound complicated!!!

Stoo
20-10-10, 10:15 PM
OK Will do

Cheers
Stu

steviegsi
20-10-10, 10:19 PM
What Amg said. When exporting a car to here. The v5 is sent from the seller to Swansea ( I think , head office anyway) then they forward to the new owner who then has to forward it to coleraine dvlni. Sorted regardless of reg. It should be the same process for you.

Ben
21-10-10, 02:16 AM

As said in my original post no i would prefer an age related than a non private private plate but just my opinion.

Stuart
21-10-10, 09:33 AM
Whats a "stsicky" plate.... you mean a sticker?

Cant be any better than the DC5 here with R44APE as the plate lol

Stoo
21-10-10, 04:36 PM
Yeah a sticker basically

R44APE would be awesome!

Stoo
21-10-10, 04:39 PM
I called DVA(NI) and DVLA(GB)today.

DVA(NI) said I'm send the V5C(NI), NI Tax disc and a V10 to swansea and I'll get a V5C(GB) back on the cars R111TEG plate along with a GB Tax disc.

DVLA swansea said just send the V5C(NI) with the new address/owner details filled in to them and they will return a V5C(GB) in my name and R111TEG still on.

Apparently the plate is 'void' on DVLA's system as it has been transferred to NI.

So, V5 in the post, fingers crossed this works!

Stoo

Sloth
21-10-10, 08:49 PM
good ****. btw change yer lives/drives bit under your avatar ;)

Stoo
21-10-10, 09:19 PM
Done :)

btw change yer lives/drives bit under your avatar ;)