PDA

View Full Version : reducing emission - mondeo

draper
19-10-10, 07:11 PM
old boys mondeo has failed its MOT on its emissions, gonna give it a service and a good run before it goes for a re-test but are there any other things i can do ?

comptoncj
19-10-10, 07:14 PM
They suffer with lambda sensors failing on them also coolant temp sensors, i took my uncle's mondeo for mot and the emmisions were really bad, put a lambda sensor in it and it went straight through, although it could be many things, small air leaks are common, but a good thrash always seems to give them a better chance.

draper
19-10-10, 07:16 PM
thinking about it - would missing baffles in the system effect it ?

doesnt help the car hardly ever gets driven, maybe once a week to the golf club

comptoncj
19-10-10, 07:21 PM
Not really unless the exhaust is partially blocked

Pistol Pete
19-10-10, 07:27 PM
Maybe due to lack of use, the sensors are clogged? Give it a run maybe??

comptoncj
19-10-10, 07:28 PM
I would also suggest cleaning the plugs up so simple yet effective

draper
19-10-10, 07:33 PM
cant take it for a run now, mot has expired lol

needs both a service and a run anyway. it was funny watching my dad sulk about early in a strop tho "dad, its 3 brake pipes, a bulb and emissions !! you dont use it anyway so its not a life effecting problem" to which he just shrugged his shoulders and walked out the house

Pistol Pete
19-10-10, 07:36 PM
But you could be "on your way to an MOT"??!! lol

Paul
19-10-10, 08:16 PM
Leave a score in the glovebox, leave the glovebox open?

draper
19-10-10, 08:19 PM
Leave a score in the glovebox, leave the glovebox open?

lol

the guy seems decent so ill have a chat to him when i take it for its retest if trying the above doesnt work

brucer
19-10-10, 08:47 PM
have you got the readings it failed on? i deal with mot emission failures all the time at work so let me know, sure i can point you in the right direction.

draper
19-10-10, 08:50 PM
COs - .579%
HC's - 467

natural idle test was aborted
lambda passed ok

brucer
20-10-10, 10:51 AM
id try coolant sensor. its running rich, so id imagine the sensors sayin the engines cold still. You can check the resistance across the two terminals to see if its faulty, resistance should be low 2500-3000 ohms when cold and anywhere below 500ohms when hot.

There is a way of checking the volts rathr than resistance, which i cant thnk of off the top of my head. Lol.

The resistance check isnt always a guarentee to show its faulty.

Sloth
20-10-10, 11:14 AM
we used to suffer with avensis 2.0 petrols having high emissions. toyotas fix? a 10p maplin resistor in the wire to the ecu from the coolant sensor. (it went low resistance when cold to high when hot.)

damper, borrow some trade plates and thrape its tits in in 2nd and 3rd gear. whack new plugs in, and it will help. i had the same issue with the celica, and took it to a mot station 45 miles away, booked of course, on the way hammering its brains out. it passed by miles.....

brucer
20-10-10, 01:38 PM
giving cars a thrash before an mot doesnt help his type of fault. The reason for the thrash is to get the cat hot so it reduces the co2. Which is the more common failure.

Ben
20-10-10, 02:16 PM
giving cars a thrash before an mot doesnt help his type of fault. The reason for the thrash is to get the cat hot so it reduces the co2. Which is the more common failure.

Quite right! But boy does it work lol

Damper you can buy some addative ****e for about a tenner which helps too.

draper
20-10-10, 03:01 PM
id try coolant sensor. its running rich, so id imagine the sensors sayin the engines cold still. You can check the resistance across the two terminals to see if its faulty, resistance should be low 2500-3000 ohms when cold and anywhere below 500ohms when hot.

There is a way of checking the volts rathr than resistance, which i cant thnk of off the top of my head. Lol.

The resistance check isnt always a guarentee to show its faulty.

ill have a try mate - thanking you

draper
24-11-10, 12:32 PM
update for anyone thats bothered, its still failing on the CO2 misxture, still at .500%

ran 2 botlles of additive through it now, thrashed damper style to the MOT station twice and even ran to blackpool and back so ill be testing/swapping the CTS this afternoon

C612DNM
24-11-10, 02:09 PM
Sounds like the Coolant Temp sensor.

My old Omega MV6 used to take ages to get past the test. When it was ready to boil, it'd pass - even though plugging an an OBD reader for live data showed coolant temp not much higher than arctic!