PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Contracts

Jack
19-10-10, 06:47 PM
Ok, so my N85 has literally just spazzed itself out (screen has gone 256 colours, sideways, back to front and is flickering lol). So looking for a replacement (again). I'm on Orange, and tbh the best deals for what I want appear to be with them.

Thing is, the phone I want is about £100 cheaper if I buy as a "new" customer with Orange rather than "upgrade" my existing contract.

I know I can upgrade now as I'm only 2 months away from end of contract, but was thinking I may as well pay off the midget amount for those two months to get out early; then change that one to pay and go, and sign up for the phone I want as a "new" customer.

Has anyone done this? Are Orange likely to get shirty about me blatantly waggling the system so I get the phone cheaper? Do they have any rules about existing customers re-signing up as new?

draper
19-10-10, 06:48 PM
you tried ringing up and simply asking for the phone you want ? works wonders ime

Jack
19-10-10, 06:50 PM
Tried that before. Failed dismally lol

Plus the phone I want on Orange isn't out til the 22nd iirc, and even then I don't think Orange will stock it (only resellers have it listed for them)

draper
19-10-10, 06:51 PM
oh, you need the damper patter then lol

i cant see the problem with you buying yourself out then starting again with them

Nova_Tek
19-10-10, 06:51 PM
What phone you want Jack?

Andy
19-10-10, 06:52 PM
Dunno about orange but t-mobile advised me to cancel and rejoin so i could get a better phone and more talktime when i kept going over my allowance.The gadgee in the shop was well up for it,must get a nice slice of commision pie..............

Jack
19-10-10, 06:54 PM
What phone you want Jack?
Desire Z :)

Andy
19-10-10, 06:56 PM
and why is EVERYTHING touch screen now?! just another thing to go wrong!

Rich
19-10-10, 06:57 PM
Tell them you think its unfair as you have given them custom for blablabla long, if they still say they cant do anything just cancel then. Might change there mind if they are losing a customer.

Standing there trying to slide the stupid green blob over, 10th time lucky? no, they hung up...

Jack
19-10-10, 07:06 PM
This is why I want the Desire, it still has a few buttons on it lol

phazer
19-10-10, 07:11 PM
Orange don't care if you do as you suggested (move old to PAYG and take a new contract), I did it a while back.

A guy at customer services even advised me at next upgrade time to convert the payg back to monthly contract to get a good deal. I presume you can convert the current pay monthly to payg and then swap them both over in future lol

FWIW speaking to Orange and asking for a good deal to keep your current contract is pointless they never ever offer anything unless you pay mega bucks a month.

Pistol Pete
19-10-10, 07:18 PM
Iphone FTW lol

Seriously, go to PAYG then get what you want. I moaned a Vodafone about a similar thing. New customers seem to get the deals, existing ones get naff all. I got what i wanted eventually though!

draper
19-10-10, 07:19 PM
t-mobile wre good with my upgrade last time, see how they fare at the end of the month when im due an upgrade again lol

Nova_Tek
19-10-10, 08:55 PM
Desire Z :)

Do you mean the HTC Desire?

Jack
19-10-10, 10:43 PM
Yeah, the Z version though.

http://www.mobilegazette.com/handsets/htc/htc-desire-z/htc-desire-z-2.jpg

draper
19-10-10, 10:45 PM
^^

ooooooo me likey

Stuart
19-10-10, 10:54 PM
Is it winmo still? if so, REALLY NONONONONONONNONONONONNO!!!!!!!

Anyway, Do orange have an 'official' forum linked with their site? if so, try asking on there...

I did something similar on the vodafone forum when the mrs was after a phone... as a new customer via a mod on there she got the handset for free and the same contract as me!!!! Which I had to haggle hard for as an upgrader lol.

Jack
19-10-10, 11:08 PM
Is it winmo still?
whut? :wtf:

winmo as in windows mobile?

Nova_Tek
19-10-10, 11:15 PM
No the Desire is Android

Why don't you hold out for the Desire HD Jack?

Stuart
20-10-10, 08:59 AM
yes htc winmo phones suck balls

Jack
20-10-10, 10:01 AM
No the Desire is Android

Why don't you hold out for the Desire HD Jack?
HD comes out the same time. Just prefer the one with the flipout keypad, even though I said before I didn't want one with a qwerty keypad... i changed my mind when I saw it lol

rubachuk
20-10-10, 10:11 AM
I quit Orange a while back, I got fed up with getting shafted as an existing loyal customer. Their website nad two areas, the area for existing customer upgrades shows half the phones out of stock, the area for new customers has them all in stock. Tells me all I need to know about the company.

My brother in law as just got some ludicrously good sim only deals on Tesco Mobile (O2) if you can afford to stump up for the phone up front. Something like 600 mins, unlimited texts and t'internet for £10 a month.

DAN-F
20-10-10, 03:20 PM
if you end your current contract and convert the number to PAYG, when you take out a new contract you can still keep your old number and have it transfered over from PAYG to contract.

Jack
20-10-10, 04:51 PM
Thats the plan, although Orange need 30 days notice to end a contract. Ghay, all the Z's will have sold out by then lol

Welsh Dan
20-10-10, 05:21 PM
I had to do what you put in the first post jack to get my X10. (i havent read the rest of the thread). I cancelled my contract, got the number swapped to PAYG, waited 24h, signed up for the new contract then once the phone arrived got my number swapped from PAYG to contract.

Its a shame we have to jump through hoops to do so though.

Alex J
20-10-10, 08:11 PM
15quid phone from asda here, pay as you go, ive smashed every phone ive owned so i wont buy a decent one again, because chucking them out the window on the the m25 is bad for the pocketlol