PDA

View Full Version : Backbox off!

Nova_Tek
19-10-10, 02:02 PM
Just tried taking off my Sportex backbox, it is connected to a standard mild steel mild section, both in good condition.

One of the clamp nuts had rounded but that was easily sorted. Once I had removed the clamp I went for the good old hammer to get it off but it's proving to be a bit tougher than that.

The the joint of the mid and backbox is only lightly corroded and is no where near being shot. I need to remove this box with minimal damage. Unfortunately I have no access to a blow torch to heat it up... so suggestions?

Danny s-p
19-10-10, 02:08 PM
scream please and wiggle it like feck

Nova_Tek
19-10-10, 02:21 PM
lol didn't scream did throw a few words at it. There is no engine so when I try twist it off the whole thing moves. As I was on my own there was no one to hold the downpipe from the bay to hold it in place so I could jiggle it about.

Will get a second pair of hands to try that.

AlexW
19-10-10, 02:26 PM
Yeah best to get somebody else to hold it and then twist it. That or drop the rear beam off the shock mounts and pull the complete lot out, then do it on the bench.

mowgli
19-10-10, 02:28 PM
wd40 on the joint..

Nova_Tek
19-10-10, 02:30 PM
Yeah best to get somebody else to hold it and then twist it. That or drop the rear beam off the shock mounts and pull the complete lot out, then do it on the bench.

Option 2 is way too much messing around. WIll take the twist bull whack method :)

Mowgli, did try wd40 but ran out. Probably didn't put enough to penetrate it properly.

Danny s-p
19-10-10, 02:32 PM
wd40 on the joint..is that what you use on your joint's like mowgli lol

L14MNP
19-10-10, 02:33 PM
Soft mallet and patience (as well as the above). It took me about 40 mins to remove the original back box from my Nova lol. The Volvo took maybe half of that the first time around, still an age though! Typical of old cars/original exhausts.

Try opening up the joint too.

Crack on!

maddogdaz666
19-10-10, 03:10 PM
lots of WD40, then hold a piece of wood against the back of the backbox, mind your fingers, and give it a good wack or 43 with a nice big hammer!

Nova_Tek
19-10-10, 03:54 PM
^ Already did that dude but this time I'll be spraying some more wd40, get someone to hold the downpipe in the bay so the system don't move and giving it a good whack, twist etc.

But it's chucking it down now so hopefully a bit later.

mowgli
19-10-10, 04:26 PM
is that what you use on your joint's like mowgli lol

at my age its cod liver oil & beef dripping.....

Mike
19-10-10, 04:43 PM
at my age its cod liver oil & beef dripping.....

Mmmm tastyness.....

maddogdaz666
20-10-10, 06:42 PM
Good luck then fella

Pistol Pete
20-10-10, 08:26 PM
Not that much faff to get the whole thing off. Or prize the flanges back slightly and see if that frees it up.

Nova_Tek
20-10-10, 08:54 PM
Had another go at it today, lots of WD40, lots of whacking, managed to prise back half of the flange at the joint and even managed to push in the middle section pipe and still won't budge.

Didn't have a heavy mallet only a hammer to whack it with. I sprayed it with plenty of WD40 and have left it to see if it helps free it when left for a long period.

Will have to try it another day.

16v Nova Kev
20-10-10, 09:11 PM
run the car and that will heat up the system. i also prize the slit apart on the box that sometimes helps.

Nova_Tek
20-10-10, 09:12 PM
No engine so no run. The box will be sold to someone so less damage is best.

Steve0011
21-10-10, 09:28 AM
is the centre section of any use to you? if not cut it out with a hacksaw and take the box and bit of pipe thats still attached to the bench. if you do cut it out leave a good few inches of centre pipe so you can stick that in a big old vice.

most of the time its not the corossion thats the problem, its the clamp that sort of crimps the two sections when its tightened up

godd luck

Nova_Tek
21-10-10, 07:20 PM
Well I've almost butchered the centre section. Keeping that intact would mean I could sell it on as it's in real good condition but I have bent the joining piper to the backbox so if it don't come off then a hacksaw is the next option.